The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

There is a NHL underworld that has a shocking amount of moisture below the crust. I have mentioned in other threads that there is a collection of faint voices that are slowly getting louder as they all pile up. I’ve heard this exact story and I’ve heard a lot more as well, not only regarding sexual misconduct but a buffet of other illegal activities that are most likely going to surface here in the very near future. He blew it, he’s done. Hope he gets his act together and can find some happiness. 

4 minutes ago, Apricot said:

I agree, there are two sides to the story, there always is. I don’t pick choosing to believe the victim first because of emotion. I am choosing to believe her and other victims for many other reasons that I can state later because I’m too mentally and emotionally tired. But to sum it up believe a potential liar than a potential rapist. 

The hard part with a situation like this is wether Jake crossed a line and it’s not black or white, she can tell her story being totally truthful and make it sound like he did then he can tell his side, also being totally truthful and make it sound like he didn’t. Labeling someone before hand a potential this or that is not fair. Liars can ruin innocent lives too.

41 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

This is the very sad reality we live in. I can definitely name more women in my life who have experienced assault then I can name men who have committed assault. 

Odds are that the women in your life who have experienced it have not told a soul about it. It took me 15 years before telling one person.

Unless its happened to people they don't usually understand why its hard to bring it to the authorities or anyone else

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

I totally agree!!!! That's why both men & women gotta play smart.... and when u get violated, call the cops and get medical evidence collected!!!

What bugs me is, 9 times out of 10, the victims settled for $ and now are we still calling P. Kane a rapist???? Nope! 

He may not be articulating it well, but there is a slight logic to his point. It must be unfathomably difficult to think about what to do after going through something like a sexual assault, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea to start a conversation where potential victims are encouraged to contact authorities right away after an incident takes place so that evidence can be collected in a timely and accurate manner, which in turn will further increase the likeness of the perpetrator getting charged and convicted; something which is devastatingly low because it comes back to there usually being insufficient evidence in place. 

This is not to say that the anyone who comes forward years later is lying or should not be believed, I hope this point doesn't get misconstrued with that. Anyone who comes forward at any point in time should be respected and listened to, and the due investigative process should be carried out, keeping in mind the side of the accused as well so that a fair investigation is conducted. 

In this case in particular, I will reserve any further comment until more information is revealed by authorities. But my heart goes out first and foremost to anyone who may be hurt by this incident, the players who have gone through so much and probably will from this point onward too, and a big virtual hug to all Canucks fans who've endured quite a wild season themselves. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

My father was a first nations scoop and residential school survivor.  he wasn't around much after I turned about 8.

But he'd wake up in the middle of the night crying, freaking out and he'd have breakdowns frequently.

He was forcibly raped by members of the school administration as were dozens of other young boys and girls.

I didn't find that stuff out until I was almost 20.  He is/was part of a council of individuals tasked to talk about their experiences as part of a reconciliation project.  Decades...man decades went by and it screwed up all of them in some way.

It's awful in general and doesn't know a gender bias.  Really puts things in to perspective once you find things out, also allows you to see victims in a whole new light

Yeah I was baptized as a baby and I probably wouldn’t have if I was given a choice knowing what I know now. Back then the Church was getting away with this sort of $&!# happening to First Nations just like those schools. 

I am happy and glad I was able to have native relatives. I would always push to go there during spring break and summers as a kid. My Grandmother(white woman) was a referred to Grandma from all the native kids there because she always took care of them. 

I shared the story to help people realize that everyone goes through sexual assault/rape differently. My mother reported it early on and my grandfather didn’t and it had a horrendous cause and effect on him. Everyone handles it differently. 

Respect and have empathy with even potential accusations. Don’t question people who make these accusations until facts come out that a prove otherwise. That doesn’t mean you shame the person getting accused either.

I understand we all want to know the truth here and we all want to believe something but now is the time we to be patient as hard as that is. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

My mother was sexually assaulted by her step-father when she was a teen. Both her parents were alcoholics. She ended up reporting it early on and both my mother and step-father ended up going to therapy(he also went to prison).  In therapy she discovered that he was sexually assaulted/raped as a kid by the Catholic Church(step-father was native and it was way back). 

The step-father didn’t say anything when it happened to him and the effect it had on him lead him to commit a heinous act. He ended up getting help as did my grandmother and both of them became a better person(grandmother became a social worker for children on a the native reserve they lived on, he paid for a bunch of our Christmas’s, paid for me to go to hockey, helped pay for our first house, helped my father from not getting deported). 

On his deathbed the weight of what he did was still on his conscience. My mother forgave him and he ended up crying. He died the very next day. 

I learned all this as late teen shortly after his death. It was a pretty crazy revelation that kind of left me not knowing what to think.

My mother is okay with me sharing this story. She’s come to terms with it and was able to move on. 

Unfortunately there are a lot of those kind of stories out there, thank you for sharing

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Unless its happened to people they don't usually understand why its hard to bring it to the authorities or anyone else

This is just it. I would never wish for those who don't understand, to experience it so they could understand but I would wish they could maybe listen to those who have been through it and try to realize how hard it actually is.

16 minutes ago, Rubik said:

How is a potential liar any better than a potential rapist? both parties ruin others' lives. With the rapist is no brainer, but with the liar you send an innocent person to prison, where he'll be raped regularly. I think they are equally bad, both destroy lives.

Who said the liar will send an innocent person to prison? If the potential liar is lying about the sexual assault and after the investigation and the evidence clearly shows that the potential rapist is innocent, then he doesn't go to jail. They're not equally as bad at all, one is definitely worse than the other, but I agree that both do destroy lives. 

Just now, LionofJudah said:

This is just it. I would never wish for those who don't understand, to experience it so they could understand but I would wish they could maybe listen to those who have been through it and try to realize how hard it actually is.

listening is hard for some to do especially males

Just now, Apricot said:

Who said the liar will send an innocent person to prison? If the potential liar is lying about the sexual assault and after the investigation and the evidence clearly shows that the potential rapist is innocent, then he doesn't go to jail. They're not equally as bad at all, one is definitely worse than the other, but I agree that both do destroy lives. 

Many lives have also been destroyed by false accusations, neither is ok nor should be tolerated. Also someone lying about being raped makes it more difficult for those that actually were to get justice.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My father was a first nations scoop and residential school survivor.  he wasn't around much after I turned about 8.

But he'd wake up in the middle of the night crying, freaking out and he'd have breakdowns frequently.

He was forcibly raped by members of the school administration as were dozens of other young boys and girls.

I didn't find that stuff out until I was almost 20.  He is/was part of a council of individuals tasked to talk about their experiences as part of a reconciliation project.  Decades...man decades went by and it screwed up all of them in some way.

It's awful in general and doesn't know a gender bias.  Really puts things in to perspective once you find things out, also allows you to see victims in a whole new light

The Catholic church are scumbags and should have been banned from Canada for what they did. Instead we all are paying the price financially and mentally for their dirty deeds

5 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

listening is hard for some to do especially males

That's an incredibly sexist thing to say. I'm saying this as a "male" who was a victim of this in the past.
Not making this about me, but people need to stop assuming every assault victim is female. That's DEFINITELY not true. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

There is a NHL underworld that has a shocking amount of moisture below the crust. I have mentioned in other threads that there is a collection of faint voices that are slowly getting louder as they all pile up. I’ve heard this exact story and I’ve heard a lot more as well, not only regarding sexual misconduct but a buffet of other illegal activities that are most likely going to surface here in the very near future. He blew it, he’s done. Hope he gets his act together and can find some happiness. 

Innocent till proven guilty 

This is clearly a case of she says he says. You heard one side of the story. And already judge and convicted him.

He has a side as well. But because he is a public figure his Lawyer is telling to have no comments. That doesn't make him guilty it makes him smart for following his legal advice.

Second his comments even if it is a denial will never go well in public so as a Lawyer I would tell him to keep his mouth shut.

• Cheers 1

I'm not a fan of Travis Green as a coach but the way he's handled all the crap sandwiches this organization has thrown at him, especially from above, is admirable and will do him wonders for his career going forward.

• Cheers 1