The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

Just now, fecklund said:

That's an incredibly sexist thing to say. I'm saying this as a "male" who was a victim of this in the past.
Not making this about me, but people need to stop assuming every assault victim is female. That's DEFINITELY not true. 

Hey Im a male and a victim but I know that males have a harder time listening the females, its just fact

21 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The hard part with a situation like this is wether Jake crossed a line and it’s not black or white, she can tell her story being totally truthful and make it sound like he did then he can tell his side, also being totally truthful and make it sound like he didn’t. Labeling someone before hand a potential this or that is not fair. Liars can ruin innocent lives too.

I'm really maxed out mentally right now, I'll private message you later to continue this convo if you're down for it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Apricot said:

Who said the liar will send an innocent person to prison? If the potential liar is lying about the sexual assault and after the investigation and the evidence clearly shows that the potential rapist is innocent, then he doesn't go to jail. They're not equally as bad at all, one is definitely worse than the other, but I agree that both do destroy lives. 

As a Lawyer I can tell you that's bs. Innocent people get convicted because people are not partial. 

If you think for a second that going to jail is not equally as bad as sexual assault  especially when you are Innocent your out of your mind. 

Come with me and my defense attorney friend to Kent maximum prison to hear the stories.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Many lives have also been destroyed by false accusations, neither is ok nor should be tolerated. Also someone lying about being raped makes it more difficult for those that actually were to get justice.

I hear what you're saying but I'd rather argue that the mindset of thinking anyone who makes a claim is lying is just as damaging to those who actually were assaulted looking for justice. Not saying that's what you're doing but every case that comes up there is someone like you saying "they could be lying" which makes anyone who was assaulted think "will they think I'm lying too?" 

15 minutes ago, Violator said:

Until someone is convicted it's all hearsay

Is this for real?

I'm not condemning Virtanen just yet but the alleged victim directly came out and said it herself. That's not hearsay, that's direct from the source.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Lol. What an absolute joke of a draft pick. Even if it isn't true, this kid has been nothing but a burden on this organization.   Total dunce. Absolute dead weight.  Pretty much what every GM prays they don't end up with in the first round. Useless on the ice, Useless off it . See ya loser. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’m sorry but I really disagree, there are two sides to the story and we can’t pick and chose who to believe based on emotion. If “believe the victim” was the case I’d be scared how many false claims would arise. Having said that both condemning Jake nor shaming her are not OK.

thier is 3.6% of he world who are sociopaths and psychopaths, only 20% of the incarcerated population have one of these diseases. the majority of juveniles who get  convicted of crimes have ptsd from past trauma. as adults men are more likely to be career criminals so stats are skewed for them. but about 75% of women who commit serious crimes have PTSD.

so these are greatly messed up people, if you consider the fact that over 50% of the population will develop ptsd at some point in thier life(takes about two years to cure with therapy) this is one reason to get to know someone before sleeping with them is important. everyone should have some understanding that 30-50% of women will inherit a sexual assault. for men  that number is 4-16% 

NOTES: on the stats of sexual assault the first number in eah case is people who ADMIT to the assault the second number is what is estimated.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Hey Im a male and a victim but I know that males have a harder time listening the females, its just fact

I don't think that's true at all. I mean, if you're talking about the steroid pumping, affliction t shirt wearing gun toting douchebags - sure. But that's not the majority of men out there.
I can sit down with any of my buddies and crack a cold one and have long discussions about pretty much anything.
Am I a minority? Never really thought about it, but that's my experience. 
Women think with their emotions and men tend to think via logic. So when you say "men don't listen as well as women" I think it's more accurate to say men think differently than women.
Just my 2 bits and kinda getting off topic...

1 minute ago, LionofJudah said:

I hear what you're saying but I'd rather argue that the mindset of thinking anyone who makes a claim is lying is just as damaging to those who actually were assaulted looking for justice. Not saying that's what you're doing but every case that comes up there is someone like you saying "they could be lying" which makes anyone who was assaulted think "will they think I'm lying too?" 

I stated before, in a case like this both parties could tell the truth yet present the event in totally different ways, probably why there are so few convictions.  I’m not saying don’t believe anyone, just that any claims by either side need to be examined impartially. Shaming her or blaming Jake by people on the internet has nothing to do with what actually happened, it’s just the persons personal bias whether they believe her or don’t.

41 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The hard part with a situation like this is wether Jake crossed a line and it’s not black or white, she can tell her story being totally truthful and make it sound like he did then he can tell his side, also being totally truthful and make it sound like he didn’t. Labeling someone before hand a potential this or that is not fair. Liars can ruin innocent lives too.

It is a he said she said issue.

I have read her side of the story on Instagram and there is so many consent issues going on there she even says she was sober. She says she had chances to leave. She doesn't say he blocked the door or forced her to stay. If true it's not his fault he is a smooth talker. As a legal point of view there is so much Grey in her story.

Edited by Arrow 1983

2 minutes ago, fecklund said:

I don't think that's true at all. I mean, if you're talking about the steroid pumping, affliction t shirt wearing gun toting douchebags - sure. But that's not the majority of men out there.
I can sit down with any of my buddies and crack a cold one and have long discussions about pretty much anything.
Am I a minority? Never really thought about it, but that's my experience. 
Women think with their emotions and men tend to think via logic. So when you say "men don't listen as well as women" I think it's more accurate to say men think differently than women.
Just my 2 bits and kinda getting off topic...

I think we should just agree to disagree on this one

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

As a Lawyer I can tell you that's bs. Innocent people get convicted because people are not partial. 

If you think for a second that going to jail is not equally as bad as sexual assault  especially when you are Innocent your out of your mind. 

Come with me and my defense attorney friend to Kent maximum prison to hear the stories.

Playing devils advocate here - could those charged just "think" they are innocent? Having not known what they were doing was wrong etc. I could sit here and say I'm something and truly believe it to be true and have 10 other people think something totally different of me. What becomes the truth? 

In the line of this story, I have had many conversations with my abuser and he very openly and clearly believes he is innocent. Does that make me a liar that I believe a completely different take or him a liar? 

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I stated before, in a case like this both parties could tell the truth yet present the event in totally different ways, probably why there are so few convictions.  I’m not saying don’t believe anyone, just that any claims by either side need to be examined impartially. Shaming her or blaming Jake by people on the internet has nothing to do with what actually happened, it’s just the persons personal bias whether they believe her or don’t.

I generally agree with you. I wasnt meaning to single you out personally but using what you said as a blanket for what others do do.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

In the line of this story, I have had many conversations with my abuser and he very openly and clearly believes he is innocent. Does that make me a liar that I believe a completely different take or him a liar? 

It could very much possibly make him a narcissist. My ex was one and I had no idea what I was dealing with until it was almost too late. She almost destroyed my life.
My advice is RUN and don't look back - EVER. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Remember the Patrick Kane thing and how that all ended up blowing over. This doesn't mean anything until charges are filed.

Lots of examples like this. What's sad about these comments here are there are people who have experienced terrible events in their life me included and to mention them in the same breath as something that not only hasn't been proven but to say this is as bad as the Pedo who assaulted me along with numerous other boys, or the other people here who've had similar stories in no way belong in the same topic as what's happening with Jake.

Let's be honest here, they met on tinder where the main draw is casual SEX, they agreed to go to a hotel to obviously have consenting sex. Of course maybe she decided after all that she didn't want to hook up with him, but if that was the case and he decided to rape her why wait 3 years? I understand victims often wait but those usually involve family or similar complicated scenarios.

Sadly it seems there are many cases where athletes have been accused only to be proven it was an attempt to get some monetary gain.

I'm sure I'll get piled on here but this is turning into a witch hunt by some and the fact people are so quick to pass judgment because he's a young rich good looking white male,  I prefer actual evidence not speculation. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, fecklund said:

It could very much possibly make him a narcissist. My ex was one and I had no idea what I was dealing with until it was almost too late. She almost destroyed my life.
My advice is RUN and don't look back - EVER. 

I 2nd that

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Part of the problem is no one will believe the victim. Chances are this will go under reported and Virtanen will get traded or bought out and everyone will move on with their lives. I am 100% with innocent until proven guilty. I really hope these allegations are false but we can’t keep shaming these individuals into hiding. This is why a lot of sexual assaults go unreported because the victims are too scared to come out. Especially in a high profile situation such as this. I’m not holding a pitch fork but this does need to be investigated. 

They wouldn't have to buy him out. If this is real, this would be grounds to terminate his contract. Players are expected to maintain a certain level of professionalism at all times in public. They could trigger an immediate termination clause this summer if real

6 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

Playing devils advocate here - could those charged just "think" they are innocent? Having not known what they were doing was wrong etc. I could sit here and say I'm something and truly believe it to be true and have 10 other people think something totally different of me. What becomes the truth? 

true story. 28% of women  reported thier PARTNER has assaulted them sexually in some form or manner.