The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

If it is someone close to me and they went with a guy they dont know too well to a hotel. Well yeah I'd be really mad. But I'll for sure comment on how stupid that decision is. The world is survival of the fittest out there. If you are stupid enough to go to a hotel with a guy, then.... Who can help you? 

SMH.  Power dynamics are a real thing.  Look at David Dobrik one of the internets biggest celebs just got taken down for this.  Guy with a following over 10+ million encouraging girls girls to do something stupid for the camera.  It's hard to day no when it's a celeb/pro athlete pressuring you,

6 hours ago, CupIsComing said:

Don't put words in my mouth! I never said what you have quoted and it is very wrong of you to attribute those words to me. If you had followed the thread after you will see that I clarify more than once that I am not questioning her veracity, but her timing of the media interview. 

As well, as I clarified later, that when there is a gap in reporting and the first hint of the offense is a report to the public (actually an interview before the process has been allowed to work itself out), that it detrimentally effects the convict ability of the perpetrator...as it brings the possibility of other motives into the picture.

Once again for the thick heads out there...I am not blaming the victim or even questioning her story myself, but trial by media (and in forums such as this) is just plain lynch mob material. As is going after comments like mine. What was your agenda...you didn't even have enough integrity to quote my entire comment to provide the needed context.

I get this is an emotional issues for most, which is precisely the time to take a breath and think before accusing and labelling people.

I expect an apology.

If you felt you needed to clarify what you were trying to say then you should have corrected your first post. Not everyone is going to go through 14 of so pages of a thread. 

So no you do not deserve or should expect an apology for me. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

If it is someone close to me and they went with a guy they dont know too well to a hotel. Well yeah I'd be really mad. But I'll for sure comment on how stupid that decision is. The world is survival of the fittest out there. If you are stupid enough to go to a hotel with a guy, then.... Who can help you? 

What I’m getting from this post is that she deserved to be assaulted because she was stupid enough to go to his hotel. This is a sad sad post, please take the time to educate yourself.

It’s absurd when you use the evolutionary phrase “Survival of the Fittest” in a topic of sexual assault/rape. 

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It happened 3 1/2 years ago, pretty sure COVID wasn’t around back then and also a good example why people shouldn’t judge when they don’t have the facts.

But just think of how much more entertaining a story this would be if it just happened ;)

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What I’m getting from this post is that she deserved to be assaulted because she was stupid enough to go to his hotel. This is a sad sad post, please take the time to educate yourself.

It’s absurd when you use the evolutionary phrase “Survival of the Fittest” in a topic of sexual assault/rape. 

No if you actually read from start the conversation we were having instead of jumping in mid way you will know that's not what I said. 

17 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

But just think of how much more entertaining a story this would be if it just happened ;)

Sadly that’s where the world and media is nowadays, truth is boring and doesn’t sell and gives people no reason to be outraged like they’re programmed to be.

13 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

(I read the twitter post with the accuser's original comments. If those are accurate, then I don't see this as an indictable sexual offence.)  More details have surfaced which make this statement premature or inaccurate.

According to her comments, she didn't say "No!!!" What she said multiple times is "I don't want to have sex!!" That could be misconstrued as it's okay to make out but I don't want to have sex. According to the statement once she became adamant, Jake realized she wasn't interested and backed off. She slept at his hotel room with no further contact. More details have surfaced which make this statement premature or inaccurate.

This should be the wake up call to Jake. He is on the precipice. Fall off or claw your way back on like Kassian. Would Seattle even want him now? Teams like Arizona and LA don't seem to mind scumbags. Jake is now labelled whether he likes it or not.

I was wrong about Jake. He has skills, but his ego is ruining him.

Its worth mentioning this is a misconduct allegation.  Not rape.

My own take is that possibly means pressure, coercion. He tried?  And there is possibly more unsaid that wont ever be. Not great either? Not at all!

And likely with this is a report that outs him versus being in front of the judge. It does not mean its wanted behaviour!

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The alleged incident took place in September 2017.

The two agreed to meet, Virtanen allegedly picked her up and drove her to a Vancouver hotel where the alleged sexual misconduct occurred. 

Emily spoke out after seeing other women come forward with their own experiences on an anonymous Instagram account. 

So as an organization?  You would still see why the Canucks, society would want the truth in the open.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Hey, maybe she shouldn’t have worn that dress, either. Probably was just asking for it, according to that guy you replied to. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I am not taking a stance, but whenever I see things like... 

- Happened in 2017, 4 years ago. 

- Girl meets guy, guy takes her to hotel room. I mean come on. As a woman, a guy you are not familiar with takes you to a hotel room? And you still go willingly thinking nothing will happen? 

- It's freaking 2021, there is really no shame or barrier to report a sexual harrassment - right away. Not 4 years later. 

I mean it could be Virtanen is in the wrong here. But whenever I see points like the above it just sounds fishy to me. 

You obviously have no idea do you? Only about 10% of sexual assaults ever get reported. Reporting sexual assault for most women is soul wrenching. The thought of having to relive the worst experience of your life, first in telling a police officer, then telling a prosecutor and finally telling a jury in open court while your assailant sits feet away is more than most people can stand, and it's worse if the attacker is famous. Look how long it took some of Bill Cosby's survivors to come forward. When the assailant is famous, you become famous too, and not for something positive. This woman was probably going to be like the 90% until she found support in that Instagram group. I expect more women to come forward in the next few weeks. It's often like a dam bursting, if there's one, there's more and it sometimes takes the first brave woman to encourage more to break their silence. Rape is not about sex, it's about power. Since they were going to a hotel, she likely expected that they would have sex, it's probably what else happened, or how it happened where she felt victimized. As I keep saying, Jake's not just immature, he doesn't just have low hockey IQ, Jake is stupid. I am sure somebody from the team sat down with him early on, or maybe his agent had the talk with him about protecting himself from these types of situations.

• Vintage 2

14 hours ago, iwtl said:

Jake has played his last game in a cancuks jersey no matter how this ends.

This is now about if Jake has any trade value or can be kept as expansion draft fodder.

No matter how much I've harped about getting rid of lazy Jake for the last three years, I never thought this would be the straw that breaks his back - but I'm afraid you are absolutely correct.   Unless this turns out to be a hoax - which it apparently is not and should not be treated as such, that suffice to say - with certainty, that Jake is done in this city - FOR GOOD, let alone he may end up in prison.  

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Sorry, I thought he may have just molested her or made unwanted advances. This is a sensitive topic and I don't think it's helpful to make Simpsons references. 
You don't have to be a total dick about it. 

I get what your saying, I really do. That being said, you are asking to be called out by others when you say stuff like "I thought he may have just molested her" lol 

Edited by cdgraham

32 minutes ago, JDLax16 said:

Hey, maybe she shouldn’t have worn that dress, either. Probably was just asking for it, according to that guy you replied to. 

If memory serves me, I think that's been stated a few time by judges in Alberta cases after they let the rapist off the hook.   Sad but true!

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If memory serves me, I think that's been stated a few time by judges in Alberta cases after they let the rapist off the hook.   Sad but true!

Hey. He wouldn’t wanna have to hurt her too, hurt her too. 

14 hours ago, appleboy said:

This means that Jake broke Covid-19 protocol. If these hockey players are still have hock ups with someone other then their mate then they are break Covid-19 rules.

Maybe that is how the team got the out break. 

The rumor mill put the blame for the teams Covid outbreak squarely of Gudettes wife who apparently went skiing up at Whistler with ?? ate at one of the many contaminated restaurants in the resort town and then it got passed on to the team.   Of course we'll never know how responsible she was - but he disappeared quite suddenly after all this - which adds a bit of credence to the rumors.  Maybe one day we'll hear the truth.

• Cheers 1