The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, xereau said:

I've got a suspicion that Jimbo's gone the day after the last game.

The team's spiraled completely out of control, and this is how Aquilini will attempt to put out the flames.

He'll still be here next season. The team has spiraled due to things that are out of JB's control.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would say, no matter how this plays out, Virtanen has likely played his last game as a Canuck. 

The embarrassment factor that comes with having a player even accused of sexual misconduct, it won't just be swept under the rug, he will either be traded or his contract will be terminated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would say, no matter how this plays out, Virtanen has likely played his last game as a Canuck. 

The embarrassment factor that comes with having a player even accused of sexual misconduct, it won't just be swept under the rug, he will either be traded or his contract will be terminated.

I’m pretty sure there is a behavioural clause that the NHL and or Canucks have in contract. If this investigation finds that on a balance or probabilities (Standard for most civil cases; basically just over 50% certainty), he will likely be found in breach and he is done. Regardless of it being pursued as a criminal matter (to which in this case it has not at this time).

Edited by grandmaster

12 hours ago, Drakrami said:

If it is someone close to me and they went with a guy they dont know too well to a hotel. Well yeah I'd be really mad. But I'll for sure comment on how stupid that decision is. The world is survival of the fittest out there. If you are stupid enough to go to a hotel with a guy, then.... Who can help you? 

I attend a lot of sales conference and work with lots of young and attractive women (common for sales positions in my industry). Many of them have hung out in my hotel room and had a few drinks or even crashed the night in a separate bed on occasion. I would say this has happened maybe 15-20 times. Some of them I didn’t know for very long or very well. 

I am a heterosexual man and certainly attracted to women. And yet, on ZERO of those occasions have I tried anything on or assaulted anyone. They trust me for a reason, because I am worthy of trust. These women were not idiots or deserving of your scorn. It’s 2021 and most men understand that anything short of a clear YES is a clear NO. 

I really wanted Virt to do well here and enjoyed his game on the ice when he was at his best. If this report is accurate he is deserving of serious repercussions. 

The woman in this story is not to blame for trusting another human being. Check your biases and join the 21st century. 

• Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m pretty sure there is a behavioural clause that the NHL and or Canucks have in contract. If this investigation finds that on a balance or probabilities (Standard for most civil cases; basically just over 50% certainty), he will likely be found in breach and he is done. Regardless of it being pursued as a criminal matter (to which in this case it has not at this time).

There absolutely is. But, even if he's essentially cleared, and I don't specifically believe there's anything here that would see him charged, there's still enough that could likely trigger that clause, or at the very least, they will do whatever is necessary to flush him out of the system on trade.

Because of how his contract is constructed, buying him out would only cost us 50k next year and 500k the year after on our cap. I believe that they will use that if necessary.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

There absolutely is. But, even if he's essentially cleared, and I don't specifically believe there's anything here that would see him charged, there's still enough that could likely trigger that clause, or at the very least, they will do whatever is necessary to flush him out of the system on trade.

Because of how his contract is constructed, buying him out would only cost us 50k next year and 500k the year after on our cap. I believe that they will use that if necessary.

It's either a buyout or a termination.  No hope in hell of a trade.  I mean seriously, what team without all the sunk costs in this guy that we have is going to surrender any assets for this chump?  The best Jake can hope for from an NHL club at this point is a 2-way deal once the Canucks have flushed twice.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's either a buyout or a termination.  No hope in hell of a trade.  I mean seriously, what team without all the sunk costs in this guy that we have is going to surrender any assets for this chump?  The best Jake can hope for from an NHL club at this point is a 2-way deal once the Canucks have flushed twice.

I agree

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

he's not Evander Kane, no one is going to be wanting to pick up his contract. He might get a league minimum deal from some GM tho. 

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

very hard to prove if there's no evidence of wrongdoing other than an accusation. I mean, they re-signed him to a 2 year deal. If there were concerns with him being a party guy it clearly wasn't an issue. 

On 5/1/2021 at 11:13 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hmmm, I’ve heard... mostly on here... 

McCann had character issues.

Gawd did too.

Maybe Jake does. 
Videogame gate? 

JB drafts character... ? 
Not looking so good. 

Some people interview well, and you might make exceptions for other factors like in Virtanen's case for being from the area. Even then, sometimes people change when they have more money than most people will see and are out on their own vs having a better support system.

Now that I've said all that, JB drafting character?

Demko

Boeser

Rathbone

Lind

Gadjovich

Pettersson

Hughes

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Regardless of draft position, most of the players he does draft are picked over others of similar skill because of their character. Even then, sometimes you get a player with a skill profile that drops to you and you take them on a chance. Virtanen is not this case though.

Any sexual misconduct allegation is serious. As has been said, perhaps this isn't as "criminally prosecutable" serious, but it's definitely not an outlier for both his on and off ice behaviour. And it could still turn out to be very serious for him personally. In any event, he hasn't turned out to have great character. He may get a chance at redemption if this all goes as positively as it can, but all I know is at this point, any return for him would be negligible so I doubt we can hope for that without a big change.

Edited by elvis15

53 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Ummm criminal code offenses like sexual assaults are NOT based on probabilities, the standard is the elements of the offence. 

Edited by Meh

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I’m a bit confused.

The Vancouver Police Department and its Sex Crimes Unit has not received a complaint regarding this situation. 

Until a complaint is officially made. There will be no criminal investigation. 

I am assuming JV must be undergoing investigation for contravening some sort of NHL or Canucks policy. 

This will be interesting how this plays out. He could have his contract terminated based on a behaviour clause. 

I don't know that they'd release this information?

It seems like in a situation like this, where there is an alleged victim involved, that they wouldn't be disclosing a whole to the general public?

4 minutes ago, Meh said:

Ummm criminal code offenses like sexual assaults are NOT based on probabilities, the standard is the elements of the offence. 

Follow the thread friend. There is no sex assault investigation going on. The media checked in on the VPD and reported as such.

This appears to be an investigation by the NHL and or Canucks. That is a civil process, not criminal. Different standard of proof.

Just now, grandmaster said:

Follow the thread friend. There is no sex assault investigation going on. The media checked in on the VPD and reported as such.

This appears to be an investigation by the NHL and or Canucks. That is a civil process, not criminal. Different standard of proof.

The Canucks say they have "engaged external expertise" to assist in an independent investigation 

15 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

but it's definitely not an outlier for both his on and off ice behaviour.

Care to elaborate how his on ice behaviour can be linked to an allegation of sexual assualt?

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know that they'd release this information?

It seems like in a situation like this, where there is an alleged victim involved, that they wouldn't be disclosing a whole to the general public?

They are on record as saying there has been no complaint lodged. I watched the news this morning and Global news stated as such. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

They are on record as saying there has been no complaint lodged. I watched the news this morning and Global news stated as such. 

That does not rule out that there could be one.  I'd imagine, at this point, it's a figuring it all out in what comes next.  Depending on what there is to go on.

• Cheers 1