The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I don't see this as being very accurate.

1. Drafting Jake over other, more talented players.

2. Signing Loui Eriksson to a ridiculous contract.

3. Drafting Olli Juolevi over Matthew Tkachuk.

4. Trading for Erik Gudbranson and overpaying for him.

5. Hunter Shinkaruk

6.Signing Brandon Sutter as a corner stone player.

7. Overpaying for Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel.

8. Signing Tyler Myers to another ridiculous contract.

9. Overpaying Alex Edler.

10. Last offseason's brutal offseason, losing Toffoli for nothing.

11. Consistent lack of clear direction and actually saying he's taking things day by day which definitely shows in his inconsistent decisions.

12. Lack of communication with his players to let them know the plan moving forward.

13. Sam Gagne.

14. Michael Ferland.

15. Willie Desjardins.

Spot on. Aside from JBs drafting, which we can’t give him full credit for, he’s done a pretty $&!# job. I hope to God that Aquilini sees through his bull$&!# and cans him at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how is a 2nd round playoff appearance "bottom feeding"? 

Overall in his tenure we have one of the worst records in the entire league.  We are currently one of the worst teams in the league.

One playoff round win in a year we got rescued from likely missing the playoffs by a pandemic is your counter argument to years of futility and terrible seasons?

Go look at our record this year, it isn’t an aberration... it is the norm.  GMs don’t get to keep their jobs for 7 years with a losing record... but here we are.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Overall in his tenure we have one of the worst records in the entire league.  We are currently one of the worst teams in the league.

One playoff round win in a year we got rescued from likely missing the playoffs by a pandemic is your counter argument to years of futility and terrible seasons?

Go look at our record this year, it isn’t an aberration... it is the norm.  GMs don’t get to keep their jobs for 7 years with a losing record... but here we are.

This is a fair argument.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

No he hasnt been charged, and he might  not be guilty. 

I said his career is over. 

Well, if he’s not guilty and his career is ove then that is very sad.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

I do think this team makes the playoffs without covid, their record after their slow start was good and they would have had a decent shot at the post-season.

I'm just tired of seeing the "7 years" thing out of context. We all know there was a failed Sedin re-tool in there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Most importantly, don't forget 16......

16. Allowing Fin to run up the isle at a game last year and eat my son's popcorn

Seriously though..............Very accurate- good post!

16 isn't banishing Linden from the organization because he wanted to do things properly by all accounts and do a full rebuild!?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

16 isn't banishing Linden from the organization because he wanted to do things properly by all accounts and do a full rebuild!?

Its still happening..we're still at bottom of league and will get another high pick..

Next season we won't be any better.. our bottom 6 is all AHL players except Motte. We will have more rookies in lineup next season and will finish bottom 10 again.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Tryamkin was a 3rd round pick. When you draft in general, but especially, in the 3rd round, you know going in that its a crap shoot. Anyone you pick in the 3rd round have about 20% chance that they will play more than 100 games in the NHL and have any type of impact. So, if you have a player available who is 6'8" 250 lbs, great mobility and skating, and really great chance that he will have a positive effect on your future blueline, you draft him and try and make it work with him.

Too many fans in this city, expect clairvoyance from the GM running this team, and expect every decision that a GM makes to play out perfectly and for him to be able to foresee the future path of each player and the injuries or challenges that they will have.

Benning is not a perfect GM, but there isn't a perfect GM in the NHL. Every one of them has strengths and weaknesses and every one of them has signed contracts or made trades that they would like to undo.

Let's look at what Benning has managed to achieved.

Found Boeser, late in the first round

Got Lind and Gadjovich who are both promising draft picks, in the 2nd round.

Traded for Motte

Traded for Miller, a solid trade

Drafted Hoglander in the 2nd round

Got Schmidt for a 3rd round pick

Got possibly the best D in the 2018 draft

Got possibly the best overall player in the 2017 draft

Drafted Demko in the 2nd round

Drafted DiPietro in the 3rd round

Drafted Rathbone in the 4th round

Drafted Podkolzin

I've followed this team since the 70's, we have the DEEPEST prospect pool that this team has ever had, that's due to Benning implementing his guidelines of the type of players he wants to build the team around.

All true, also don't forget the cap hell that we are in with aging veterans taking up large amounts of cap space while producing next to nothing. Not many teams coming out of a rebuild/retool are so cap strapped like we are, because they didn't give out large term contracts to aging over the hill vets. Teams sign players for 700-1.5m every summer and they contribute as much or better than the veterans we have continually signed.

It is a double edge sword, even if a GM or coach lead the Canucks to a cup but faltered a year or 2 after, the fans/media would all $&!# on them if we played poorly after bringing that gorgeous cup to Vancouver and call for them to be fired or setup a go fund me to have a fire_____banner behind a plane...

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

If he's exonerated, he'll want a fresh mental start so regardless how this turns out, we've probably just watched Jake's last game as a Canuck. :mellow:

Yup, talking to his dad 2 weeks ago and I got that vibe from him that he felt it was best for his son to play for a different team, or the very least a different coach that would give ALL players a fresh start

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Its still happening..we're still at bottom of league and will get another high pick..

Next season we won't be any better.. our bottom 6 is all AHL players except Motte. We will have more rookies in lineup next season and will finish bottom 10 again.

Might happen, be interesting to see how the contracts go for our key RFA's this off season. Hope we can grab some grit either on D or for the bottom 6

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do think this team makes the playoffs without covid, their record after their slow start was good and they would have had a decent shot at the post-season.

I'm just tired of seeing the "7 years" thing out of context. We all know there was a failed Sedin re-tool in there. 

I find it hard to believe that Aqua hired JB to start a rebuild.  Not with the Sedins still playing well, along with quite a few others.  Let's not forget the prospect pool was a dumpster pile as well.  Definitely a retool on the fly was the plan.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I don't see this as being very accurate.

1. Drafting Jake over other, more talented players.

2. Signing Loui Eriksson to a ridiculous contract.

3. Drafting Olli Juolevi over Matthew Tkachuk.

4. Trading for Erik Gudbranson and overpaying for him.

5. Hunter Shinkaruk

6.Signing Brandon Sutter as a corner stone player.

7. Overpaying for Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel.

8. Signing Tyler Myers to another ridiculous contract.

9. Overpaying Alex Edler.

10. Last offseason's brutal offseason, losing Toffoli for nothing.

11. Consistent lack of clear direction and actually saying he's taking things day by day which definitely shows in his inconsistent decisions.

12. Lack of communication with his players to let them know the plan moving forward.

13. Sam Gagne.

14. Michael Ferland.

15. Willie Desjardins.

Some of your points are fairly accurate, but the exception is when we have the advantage of retrospect.  Let's start from the beginning...

1. In almost all the mock drafts at the time, Jake was considered a top 10 pick.  Being a hometown boy, I wonder how much Aqua wanted the power forward, hometown boy.  Money in the bank.

2. Ericksson's term was too long, but it wasn't a bad signing, given the management were thinking re-tool. He was coming off a 30g season and had played very well with the Sedins in the WC. In retrospect even 4.5x4yrs would have been too much.

3. Nobody could foresee Olli's injuries that have altered his development path. I doubt there are many scouts that though Ketchup would be the player he is now.  Even still, without the injuries, Olli would probably have made it into the NHL a couple of years ago.

4. Erik Gudbranson -hard to argue with that, but I sure recall a lot of folks (including myself) very happy about getting a big guy who would create a safe working environment.

5.  JB didn't draft Shinkaruk, but acquiring Grandlund was a soft plus when you consider the difference in NHL game numbers each played.

6. When Sutter's healthy he plays his role effectively.  Too bad he spends so much time in sick bay.

7. Beagle and Roussel are a bit overpaid and have an extra year term.  Roussel is injured alot.

8.  Tyler Myers plays huge minutes and can be a force on the blue line. The term is too long and he's a bit overpaid.

9. Edler is overpaid, mostly because of the NMC and 1yr term.  Imo, he is underrated by Nuck fans.  He is always missed by the team when he's not in the lineup. Huge minutes and a terrific shot blocker.

10. With a huge salary cap, I wasn't expecting much in UFA, although losing Tofolli was really bad.  Worse was JBs explanation about 'running out of time.'  On the other hand, he placed his bet on Demko, Schmidt and Hamonic and won.

11 & 12. I won't respond to as I really don't know how he communicates with the players and staff.

13. Sam Gagner was definitely overpaid, but at least only lasted one season.

14. Ferland would have been great, but for the injuries. I have no idea how that deal transpired, or who gave his medical opinion on Ferland's head injuries.  Regardless, he's only played 14 games for the Canucks and his salary is LTIR, so isn't a direct cap hit.

15. Willie...uhg.  No comment.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I find it hard to believe that Aqua hired JB to start a rebuild.  Not with the Sedins still playing well, along with quite a few others.  Let's not forget the prospect pool was a dumpster pile as well.  Definitely a retool on the fly was the plan.

I just wish there could be an honest discussion about the Linden/Benning era. But I guess we all can't even agree on Gillis so maybe my expectations are too high :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Easier said than done but I would go after Hyman and Armia and drop other players thus improving the bottom 6.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just wish there could be an honest discussion about the Linden/Benning era. But I guess we all can't even agree on Gillis so maybe my expectations are too high :lol:

Yeah, I guess the love affair with Gillis is he has the trophies and JB has the draft picks - perhaps if they can some how be merge, the Canucks would finally have the perfect GM...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, fecklund said:

I'm a guy and was raped by my exgf a few years back. Yes, it happens (more than you think).
I did mention it to a cop once during a separate incident but the cop laughed in my face. Didn't help she was female.
At that point I just told myself to forget about it. Damage was done anyway.

I m glad i wasnt the only one who got rape by their exgf. This is serious matter!

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It’s the same for the discussion about the re/tool/build/thingy during the last two years of the Sedins. No matter the opinion on when or how it should have been done people need to remember that season’s ticket and attendance was falling rapidly. The sellout streak ended and the announced attendance for one game was 15589 and the Canucks said only 15,000 of that was paid. Remember the stories about the team “papering” crowds with low cost tickets and giveaways?  

There was a lot of talk on sports radio if Vancouver would pay to support a rebuilding team. The signing of Lui E. was at least partly to try to stem the bleeding attendance.  It’s just not accurate to say the rebuild has been going on for 7 years. When it should have started is a reasonable debate but let’s not rewrite history.

• Cheers 1