The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

il take u up on it thanks better include the fixings lol

sure thing, sport. how about we make it interesting and you return the favour when he scores fewer than 10 goals in the nhl next year?

1 minute ago, tas said:

sure thing, sport. how about we make it interesting and you return the favour when he scores fewer than 10 goals in the nhl next year?

sure if he plays in nhl next yr sure 

Just now, canuktravella said:

hopefully hes back in nhl and his career isnt  over time will tell   he might be banned to khl

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

I feel like not being good enough to play in the nhl should be included in the fewer than 10 goals scored side of the bet. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, tigerswaggerman said:

The fact that a professional hockey player will get put on leave simply because someone somewhere makes an accusation, is a disgusting perversion of due process and indicative of a larger regressive trend in our society. 

They started this in the state colleges where males were being automatically expelled because of a rape allegation. Lots of those rape allegations were proven false.

All you midwits who think the organization did the right thing should be ashamed, and aware that the same thing could strip you of your ability to pay your bills, your mortgage, your rent, and literally destroy your life.

Shame on all of you witch hunting, cancel-culture nazis. Just going along to get along eh

Pathetic

It's beyond ridiculous. Going to hotel rooms with Chad hockey stars and then making this accusation years later is suspect. Maybe Jake was inappropriate,  maybe he wasn't. 

The most inappropriate thing to occur here is the rapidity in which a converged league will throw one of its players under the bus without due process. Corporate cancer trendy nonsense.

YOU PEOPLE deserve a left field accusation in your life if you're pitchforking on this issue.

Bunch of reeeeeeeeee

tarts

The NHL has a protocol in place for incidents like this. It is quite likely that they didn't have a choice in the matter.

Jake had a large contingent of haters. Some of the most vocal seem like they're glad this happened.

The Jake haters will never forgive Jake even if he's exonerated. patrick kane was accused of drugging and raping a woman and he is still playing for chicago.

Even so,  if true, this is a disgusting story and just one more kick to the crotch of Canucks and Canucks fans.

• Hydration 1
15 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

The Jake haters will never forgive Jake even if he's exonerated. patrick kane was accused of drugging and raping a woman and he is still playing for chicago.

It’s not full exoneration but it’s pretty dam close. 

7E074D73-E192-457C-825F-B5D0D868A114.png

3 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

You ever want to see a crappy human being...this would be it. 

Regardless of the bad situation, one sees the personal benefits from it, is a sad person. :picard:

Good lord... you guys are absolutely stretching all sorts of things I said with that post. And great job judging the entire 46 years that made me who I am due to one comment, btw. 

The sad situation, regardless of whether he is at fault or not, has already happened. I had no hand in causing it. It's done. Just because I see potential benefit to the team doesn't mean I don't feel for this woman (if she is telling the truth), nor feel for Jake (if he didn't do it). I simply stated why what I believed to be reasons why I feel there may be truth to the story, as well as my opinion on how it might position the Canucks moving forward.

So, to be clear, unlike myself, you personally abandon any kind of logical thinking of different angles because it might include an event that is upsettting, disappointing, or where someone got hurt? I do not have a personal emotional attachment to the situation so I can see it from an objective perspective. I understand you're trying to make a point here, but quite frankly, you couldn't be more incorrect and your contention doesn't even make sense. Thinking "bigger picture" or "cup half full" is just a fact of living life. For most of us not stuck in some peculiar emotionally-confining box anyway.

Bottom line,  I'm sure you felt better about yourself getting a dig in, so, carry on, sir. Whatever floats your boat.

• Hydration 2
21 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The sad situation, regardless of whether he is at fault or not, has already happened. I had no hand in causing it. It's done. Just because I see potential benefit to the team doesn't mean I don't feel for this woman (if she is telling the truth), nor feel for Jake (if he didn't do it). I simply stated why what I believed to be reasons why I feel there may be truth to the story, as well as my opinion on how it might position the Canucks moving forward.

Just stop...you are digging yourself into a deeper hole sir.

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Just stop...you are digging yourself into a deeper hole sir.

Only in your mind. Which, quite frankly, I am 0% concerned about.

Edited by kloubek
  • Hydration 1
Posted (edited)

I mean to be honest, &^@# Jake for a lot of reasons whether or not these allegations are true.

He's the embodiment of a player who feels that just making it to the NHL is good enough, and his willingness to coast and milk his roster spot on and off the ice makes me want to see his career fail.

If he's also a sex offender, well, even more reason for life to slap him in the face. Maybe it's the wake up call he needs to realize there are consequences to his actions.

Edited by jackofwind
  • Upvote 1

There is so much wrong with this...

This is surfacing 4 years later...They were 18 and 21 at the time of this event, Jake is probably too young to understand the difference between sexual assault and being led on and going too far. Please read this whole post and maybe we can all have a little more clarification by the end of it. We as a society need to stop believing everything we read and hear.

There is two thoughts that come to mind for the majority of people when headlines like this surface. It’s either

1) he did it because he’s a male

or

2) that b***h is going for money.

The sad thing is he’s written off as guilty, without allowing the process to determine a verdict. People will either believe one of the 2 scenarios, money, or guilty.

But I don’t see it as either.
The way we as society need to start looking at situations is to look at things like this in a way of “trying to have an understanding” as to how things got to this point. Listen to the story, read things and gather information, put yourself in both people’s shoes and see from both points of view before jumping to a conclusion

To me this is a miscommunication between Virtanen and this girl. At what point does Virtanen see what he is doing as wrong when:

a) She gets into his vehicle and leaves her place of stay late at night

b) she goes into the hotel room
c) she says no, but allows him to take her clothes off

d) she engages in kissing back and forth as each layer of clothing is removed

e) she eventually just gives in and “stares at the ceiling waiting for him to finish”

f) she doesn’t leave at any point and she stays the night

She may very well have not wanted things to go as far as they did. But she was too young and too shy to stop it.

Virtanens point of view, he probably sees it as shes playing hard to get and won her over, rather than forcing himself upon her.

In her words from that story there is no mention of force, he did not demand or tell her to do anything or tell her to take her clothes off. He spent more of an attempt to persuade her than he did to force her. He should have asked first before removing clothes or proceeding further. That is a lesson he will learn and unfortunately it’s going to take a serious toll on him.

I dont believe she is after money either. This started from an anonymous sexual assault stories page on Instagram. I feel like she told her story and someone has pushed her or encouraged her that it isn’t and wasnt right and that she should press charges. Hence why its come out 4 years later, on an anonymous page and no official police reports or anything was filed or taken to the police. I think she has looked in hindsight and been encouraged to do something about a situation that both parties were not aware of how serious the situation could have been. 

I dont think she understands the severity of her story and the impact it could have on someone else. Virtanen is in a celebrity status and well known and easily recognized. We will never know the truth as to what actually happened and this will hang over his head no matter where he goes. This could destroy his career, ruin relationships with people around him and do serious damage to his mental health. Thats of course if this is all false or just a simple miscommunication between Virtanen and this girl. On the contrary if Virtanen forced himself upon her that is sexual assault but at the age of 21 I don’t think he has been educated on what sexual assault truly is. I know I was never fully educated on what sexual assault meant. You are told things as you grow up but you don’t fully understand them. Especially when you are given  mixed messages.

I am in no way saying sexual assault is okay, I do not support sexual assault or rape. Nor am I saying she deserved what happened for going there and not leaving. What I am saying is that this seems like a person nodding there head no.

That is young, too shy and afraid to say or do anything, but also felt comfortable enough to get in a vehicle and spend the night with them. The outcome may not have been what she wanted, but I don’t see how that could have been clear enough to Virtanen. This comes across as a failure of communication which has now led to the unknowingly birth of a victim/predator situation.

If this turns out be a miscommunication, it’s easier for someone in Virtanen's shoes to heal and recover from the lesson learned and their inexperience if we all look at this situation with an understanding, rather than a verdict. So the unknowingly accused doesn’t have to feel like they are walking around with a sign saying “rapist” wherever they go.

We need to step back and respect the process that is in place for these circumstances and provide the healing necessary for the victim and provide better education on what is and what isn’t consent. We also must keep in mind that young people are vulnerable to mistakes and do not have the experience or understanding of every situation they are in. Virtanen pushed boundaries that he thought were okay, to which he is learning were not. He is learning a lesson that without using force you can still sexually assault someone. He will need support and healing when this is settles, because this is going to do some serious damage to his mental health.

• Hydration 1
  • Sad 2
  • RoughGame 1
3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think its BS that hes not allowed to play. Innocent till proven guilty. 

do people accused of murder get to go on living their lives as normal waiting for their trial to begin?

I don't want to compare this to murder, I just want to point out that "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't work that way. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, jackofwind said:

Innocent until proven guilty means he's not in jail/prison while waiting for the result of the investigation. It doesn't give him the right to continue to play for a private club.

I think it's hilarious that some people can't grasp that letting him continue to play during the investigation would be an insane business decision.

the same people would be shrieking for the heads of aquilini and benning for allowing a known rapist to play for the team if he ends up guilty.

I honestly wonder how most people are able to live their day to day lives while possessing so little scope and forethought. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, tas said:

do people accused of murder get to go on living their lives as normal waiting for their trial to begin?

I don't want to compare this to murder, I just want to point out that "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't work that way. 

Yes it’s literally murder

2 hours ago, Provost said:

There isn't the confusion you seem to think there is and you need to read this very carefully.

Going out with someone doesn't mean they get to have sex with you... all the random stuff you posted to try to mitigate the circumstance don't matter at all.

“Jakeis probably too young to understand the difference between sexual assault and being led on and going too far.”.... holy crap dude, there is no difference between those things.  “going too far” is literally sexual assault... if someone hasn’t consented you don’t get to do it anyways because “they led you on” (which is an awful way to describe it as well).

She said no.  She said it repeatedly.

That is it, that is the end, period.  Nothing else needs to be said and there should be no confusion.  Everything you posted after "c)" is honestly horrifying in terms of where your head is at.

Giving him a pass because he was only 21 is honestly inexcusable on your part, he is a grown up and that wouldn't be OK when he was 14 years old.

Even the concept that unless she fought back really hard, there is room for confusion should have completely left our thought processes in the 1950's.  Go ask any woman how scared she is about how a man twice her size and several times her strength is going to react when rejected and you try to physically fight him.  Once she has said no and he has ignored it several times, it is survival mode about how to get out of it with the least physical and emotional damage.

You really need to consider your position because I can tell you it is just flat out wrong both legally and morally.

She does not draw a line in the sand. 
as for  c) and onward its not where my head is at. Its how it comes across to a 21 year old boy who is getting mixed messages.

Did i say it was okay?? I clearly did not and you should re-read it.

did he force her? No

Did he demand things? No

did she engage? Yes

Did she leave? No

Did she say no? Yes (she actually said no)

Did she get back into the bed? Yes

Did she allow him to take her clothes off? Yes

did she keep kissing and fooling around? Yes

I am not excusing the act of sexual assault.

do you shake your head yes and nod your head no? Or do you shake your head no and nod your head yes. 
If she did not want anything to progress, she should have a) got dressed b) left c) pushed back and fought or d) gone to the police

Hes pretty much still a teenager and no as I said it DOES NOT excuse what he did. But it sure as f*** isnt something at his age that he understands the severity of what hes doing, trying to get his “number” up. While this chick is teasing back and forth. I highly f***ing doubt he knowingly sexually assaulted her.

i said there needs to be better education for younger people on what is consent versus what is sexual assault.
She needs to make it very f***ing clear. 
i said no once, now Im leaving.

Shake your head no and nod your head yes. Dont give mixed messages and continue to give an inch. AS I SAID BEFORE, NO SHE DID NOT DESERVE IT. ITS ABOUT COMMUNICATION IF NO MEANS NO, THEN MAKE IT A F***ING NO, Dont turn a no into a maybe.

i dont want to have sex with you, but i’ll get in your car late at night and go back to your hotel room, we can kiss even after all my clothes are off. I dont want to have sex, but im getting back in the bed. 
thats a really mixed message you’re sending someone.

Without any proof though, you already believe Virtanen is guilty. This Could be a complete and total scam, but Virtanen has to be a predator because she said so. There is a lottttta money on the table after all....

As i said earlier RESPECT THE PROCESS THAT IS IN PLACE TO DETERMINE A VERDICT. Dont jump to conclusions. Im not jumping to a conclusion, im pointing out how this situation may have unfolded and how this could be twisted against someone of a celebrity status. 
Like you said its legally and morally wrong, so how about we let the LEGAL system determine the verdict and have better MORALS than believing in headlines.

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1

Mods we may want to lock this thread untill things are resolved in court, things could get a bit out of control and we really don't want to speculate and make things worse. I know people want to add they're two cents but i don't think us trying to play lawyer or getting into the heads of involved parties is going to do any good?

• Thanks 2