The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, tas said:

do people accused of murder get to go on living their lives as normal waiting for their trial to begin?

I don't want to compare this to murder, I just want to point out that "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't work that way. 

U did tho... <_<

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Mods we may want to lock this thread untill things are resolved in court, things could get a bit out of control and we really don't want to speculate and make things worse. I know people want to add they're two cents but i don't think us trying to play lawyer or getting into the heads of involved parties is going to do any good?

Agreed.

There is way too much speculation and opinion with very little fact.

All we know is that there is an allegation of unwanted sexual behaviour that a person has mentioned on social media about JV, who is now suspended pending further investigation by an independent firm. This allegation was to do with an encounter in a hotel room in 2017. The suspension was an NHL/Canucks decision based out of policy (it’s also about them covering their butts). 

There is nothing else. 

We don’t need ownership or the GM to have further statements because there is nothing else to say.

We don’t know if the behaviour was criminal in nature and there has been no complaint to the police.

We don’t know if this female is telling the truth or not. 

Out of respect for fairness for all people involved, it’s best we internet warriors stop the speculation. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 5/3/2021 at 12:42 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Survival of the fittest?

Your comment puts the onus on someone to not go to a place in order to not be raped.

How about if you put the onus on the rapist NOT to rape...no matter where they are?

"If you are stupid enough to sexually assault someone...." is a better way of framing this.

So a person should be rendered helpless if they enter a hotel room with someone?  It's open season?

Why are you guys overblowing things like this? All my comments put together basically concludes..... Sexual misconduct, violence is 100% unacceptable and deserves the full blunt punishable by the law. But 2 points like the woman coming forward 4 years after it happened and willingly going with a guy you are not close with to their hotel room deserves to be investigated fully instead of staking Virtanen for hanging - until he is proven guility -  like you guys are on this board. The survival of the fittest comment is made when someone told me what I would do if it happened to someone close to me. And I would still say why they were so stupid to follow guys into hotel rooms. 

Not to mention this whole case, there is 0 to no details (I haven't read any of the alleged twitter accounts). All the rush to condemn Virtanen just seems unfair. And I'm not even a Virtanen fan, just trying to give him a fair chance of justice here. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bure2Win said:

Mods we may want to lock this thread untill things are resolved in court, things could get a bit out of control and we really don't want to speculate and make things worse. I know people want to add they're two cents but i don't think us trying to play lawyer or getting into the heads of involved parties is going to do any good?

I mentioned that earlier also, think it would be for the best.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Dumbfounded - Reaction GIFs

bill cosby laughing GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Why are you guys overblowing things like this? All my comments put together basically concludes..... Sexual misconduct, violence is 100% unacceptable and deserves the full blunt punishable by the law. But 2 points like the woman coming forward 4 years after it happened and willingly going with a guy you are not close with to their hotel room deserves to be investigated fully instead of staking Virtanen for hanging - until he is proven guility -  like you guys are on this board. The survival of the fittest comment is made when someone told me what I would do if it happened to someone close to me. And I would still say why they were so stupid to follow guys into hotel rooms. 

Not to mention this whole case, there is 0 to no details (I haven't read any of the alleged twitter accounts). All the rush to condemn Virtanen just seems unfair. And I'm not even a Virtanen fan, just trying to give him a fair chance of justice here. 

I'd suggest reading the victim statement if you can find it.   I understand where your coming from, guilty until proven innocent, but there are a lot of reasons why it's wrong to support JV at this time, and just let the process run its course.  Victim blaming being the biggest one.   She's only 18.   JV like Kane, are pro athletes with a lot of influence over whomever they are around.   Shouldn't be hard to find a willing hook-up, but those thing need to be consensual.   No JV shouldn't be condemmed.  Only he and "Emily" know the truth.  Same as Kane.   Let the police investigate and due process happen.   Yes these guys are also targets for slander and lies.

Best to just keep out of it, but i can understand why this is a touchy subject. Fact is if your part of the human race, you know plenty of people who've been through this but don't know their stories.  A lot of friends, family and co-workers.   To me at least the right thing to do is not judge either parties, but you have to support the victim first always.   It's a systemic thing not too even in this day and age.  And it has to change.   And yes JV deserves his right too, which is innocent until proven guilty.   Won't know unless both parties actually confess and it's made public regardless of what really happened.   But the process works ok.   And it's all we have for now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1