The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

This means that Jake broke Covid-19 protocol. If these hockey players are still have hock ups with someone other then their mate then they are break Covid-19 rules.

Maybe that is how the team got the out break. 

Just now, appleboy said:

This means that Jake broke Covid-19 protocol. If these hockey players are still have hock ups with someone other then their mate then they are break Covid-19 rules.

It was in 2017

39 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I read the twitter post with the accuser's original comments. If those are accurate, then I don't see this as an indictable sexual offence.

According to her comments, she didn't say "No!!!" What she said multiple times is "I don't want to have sex!!" That could be misconstrued as it's okay to make out but I don't want to have sex. According to the statement once she became adamant, Jake realized she wasn't interested and backed off. She slept at his hotel room with no further contact.

This should be the wake up call to Jake. He is on the precipice. Fall off or claw your way back on like Kassian. Would Seattle even want him now? Teams like Arizona and LA don't seem to mind scumbags. Jake is now labelled whether he likes it or not.

I was wrong about Jake. He has skills, but his ego is ruining him.

Well you didn't read very clearly to start.... 

"I physically couldn't hold him off any longer, after I said no well over a dozen times I just laid there, staring at the ceiling waiting for him to finish".

That is indictable sexual assault... as it would the way you misinterpreted it too.  A woman doesn't have to say no a dozen times for the law to take her seriously.

The thing about our justice system is that it is designed to let off 100 guilty people just to make sure it doesn't convict an innocent person.  That is a feature of the system and not a bug... but it is also why most sexual assault investigations don't end up in charges or findings of guilt.  There has to be fairly overwhelming evidence, and that just doesn't often happen in a situation where there are two people alone telling different stories.  That is why sexual assault goes unreported most of the time, why put yourself through it when it isn't likely to result in anything.  Especially in a public case where all you are doing is opening yourself up for random idiots on the internet attacking your character.

There isn't likely to be a conviction or even charges in this case unless there is more evidence that the statement.  That is because Crown won't pursue a case that doesn't have any significant likelihood of conviction.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

The only good to come from this thread, is the incentive to put a few more posters on ignore.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 3

I've supported Jake for years - hoping he would turn the corner but he never did.  And now this.  Of course it's not proven in court but still this is bad news.

Why we didn't trade Virtanen in the off-season rather than re-signing him boggles my mind.  We could have used that extra money to sign Toffoli who we should never have let get away for nothing.  I was even prepared to trade Boeser for a top 4 D man just so we could sign Toffoli - kudos to Boeser for turning his game around.  I like it when players prove me wrong.

• Vintage 1
Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

It was in 2017

LOL

I guess I have been paying close attention. I thought this just happened.

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I, too, read the original tweets of the account.

No matter what comes of this, I'm pretty sure Jake'll be gone in a straw that breaks the camel's back deal.  

It is a matter of innocent until proven guilty, but just being in a situation where this is possible is likely enough.  

Sad situation all around.

The team will likely feel an obligation to move him. Keeping him in the city and province after these allegations will never settle well with some portions of the female community I would assume.

You would probably know better then I Deb. But if I was a young lady I wouldn't want a famous sports team keeping a player with those allegations around in my city.  I would personally probably feel uneasy if they did.

I know patty Kane survived his ordeal but he was a multiple cup winning Allstar. He is likely to be more forgiven by an org and fan base I would think. I'm not a lady though so perhaps I shouldn't be speaking on the manner. That's just how I'd imagine I would feel.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So you think Jake was under covid protocols 2 and a half years before covid got here?

:picard:

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Regardless of the outcome of this it’s obvious he lacks the maturity and focus that you want in a player.

If it weren’t for him being a high pick and a BC guy I think his chances may have already run out.

Definitely, heard stories/rumours hinting at this for awhile now.

In a way being drafted to his hometown team might've been the worst thing for his career.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Provost said:

Well you didn't read very clearly to start.... 

"I physically couldn't hold him off any longer, after I said no well over a dozen times I just laid there, staring at the ceiling waiting for him to finish".

That is indictable sexual assault... as it would the way you misinterpreted it too.  A woman doesn't have to say no a dozen times for the law to take her seriously.

The thing about our justice system is that it is designed to let off 100 guilty people just to make sure it doesn't convict an innocent person.  That is a feature of the system and not a bug... but it is also why most sexual assault investigations don't end up in charges or findings of guilt.  There has to be fairly overwhelming evidence, and that just doesn't often happen in a situation where there are two people alone telling different stories.  That is why sexual assault goes unreported most of the time, why put yourself through it when it isn't likely to result in anything.  Especially in a public case where all you are doing is opening yourself up for random idiots on the internet attacking your character.

There isn't likely to be a conviction or even charges in this case unless there is more evidence that the statement.  That is because Crown won't pursue a case that doesn't have any significant likelihood of conviction.

I was just going by the original twitter statement. As I have already stated, I am not condoning his actions.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

What an incredibly stupid comment.

... and manifestly not true.  The proportion of reported sexual assaults that result in charges is tiny.  It is mostly the nature of the crime which generally happens in private there aren't outside witnesses to provide evidence.  The burden of proof benefits the accused, not the victim, that is just the way it is.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Personally, I'm going to opt out of this discussion until we do get an official verdict.

But when a woman someone says she's they've been sexually assaulted, the first thing you should do is believe her them until you have reason not to.  Because that's why victims are often apprehensive about coming forward...THEY become the target of suspicion and allegations.  This allegedly took place in September, 2017 so some will ask "why now?" but women people who are in these positions often question things for a long time before they realize "that was wrong and shouldn't have happened".  Especially when you're young and are afraid and embarrassed.  Again...I have no idea here but know that to be true.

With that, those who falsely accuse people (the really bad apples) ruin lives and that should never be taken lightly.  It just doesn't mean the whole bunch are bad/liars.  At this point, we just don't know so I'm not going to say another word about it until we do.   

Yeah this is a tough situation to even talk about. I think I'd rather leave it alone and let the investigations turn up whatever truths may be out there. I personally believe her story more then I don't. But I don't truly know Jake Virtanen so I can't honestly give a fair assessment. The best I can do is wait and see.

On the hockey side I wonder who if anyone would take him with these allegations. The kid with the NYR got banished to the AHL for saying some insensitive things. I'm not sure how allegations like this would stack up. Sorry for replying to two of your msgs back to back. Just really liked your last point.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

On second thought. I'll take the high road and reserve judgment until a verdict comes out.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1
Just now, Provost said:

... and manifestly not true.  The proportion of reported sexual assaults that result in charges is tiny.  It is mostly the nature of the crime which generally happens in private.

Anyone who has the audacity to make a comment like that should be ashamed of themselves. The worst part is those people are the exact type of person who wouldn't be ashamed to say such an obviously absurd thing.

• Upvote 2
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Definitely, heard stories/rumours hinting at this for awhile now.

In a way being drafted to his hometown team might've been the worst thing for his career.

No just the wrong hometown player. 

Imagine if the Canucks drafted Paul Kariya or Joe Sakic?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

I told you guys last night Jake would be sent home today.. 

This is serious stuff true or false. Team has to take is seriously. 

23 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Personally, I'm going to opt out of this discussion until we do get an official verdict.

But when a woman someone says she's they've been sexually assaulted, the first thing you should do is believe her them until you have reason not to.  Because that's why victims are often apprehensive about coming forward...THEY become the target of suspicion and allegations.  This allegedly took place in September, 2017 so some will ask "why now?" but women people who are in these positions often question things for a long time before they realize "that was wrong and shouldn't have happened".  Especially when you're young and are afraid and embarrassed.  Again...I have no idea here but know that to be true.

With that, those who falsely accuse people (the really bad apples) ruin lives and that should never be taken lightly.  It just doesn't mean the whole bunch are bad/liars.  At this point, we just don't know so I'm not going to say another word about it until we do.   

They should be taken seriously. Not believed until there is sufficient evidence to do so.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The team will likely feel an obligation to move him. Keeping him in the city and province after these allegations will never settle well with some portions of the female community I would assume.

You would probably know better then I Deb. But if I was a young lady I wouldn't want a famous sports team keeping a player with those allegations around in my city.  I would personally probably feel uneasy if they did.

I know patty Kane survived his ordeal but he was a multiple cup winning Allstar. He is likely to be more forgiven by an org and fan base I would think. I'm not a lady though so perhaps I shouldn't be speaking on the manner. That's just how I'd imagine I would feel.

Not even remotely a fan of Chicago but I've hated them even more since Kane's story. And I can't stand hearing his tires get pumped up in the media. 

• Hydration 1
10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

LOL

I guess I have been paying close attention. I thought this just happened.

I hope you use this as an opportunity to learn from....you were speculating and making assumptions and didn't even bother to read the facts. 

• Upvote 1