The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I hope you use this as an opportunity to learn from....you were speculating and making assumptions and didn't even bother to read the facts. 

Thanks for the ridiculous counsel. I come here to discuss hockey and don't pay much attention to the gossip.  I have no interest in all the details and it certainly isn't far fetch to think that this was something new. Certainly not 2.5 years old. 

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

there's really people in this thread who believe the police & the court system know how to determine & serve justice when it comes to sexual assault

ok then

They are still a far better and fair option than convicting someone on social media based on no evidence or determining the accuser is full of $&!# with no evidence.

• Like 1

According to this lady, she came forward because she saw another person with a similar claim on Instagram. If this is truly a pattern of behaviour, it may bring out other accusers.

Also alcoholism is no excuse. I used to drink a lot and never took advantage of a dunk person ever. I have ex friends who have gotten away with garbage like that though.

Just now, appleboy said:

Thanks for the ridiculous counsel. I come here to discuss hockey and don't pay much attention to the gossip.  I have no interest in all the details and it certainly isn't far fetch to think that this was something new. Certainly not 2.5 years old. 

Well it's important to get the details before you move outward from there to connect dots.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Innocent until proven guilty, but if true even I will jump off the Virtanen bandwagon. I just hope it isn't. I know this allegedly happened roughly 4 years ago, but still. There's no excusing sexual "misconduct". Whatever that means. This is just what we needed though, another stain on the team and the season. He needs the Kassian treatment if these allegations are true. We cut ties for whatever we can get, or even nothing, and hopefully he has an awakening and grows up.

Also, why refer to her as "Emily" and not just "Jane Doe". A widly known way to refer to someone anonymously. Lol.

Edited by N7Nucks

1 hour ago, Wayne Glensky said:

And I was the asshole for bringing it up. I wouldn’t post something if I knew it was false. 

Like I said last night it is natural to be brought up when something like this was trending on Twitter last night. I was with you...

This is very serious stuff. One poster  was calling for you to be banned he was so angry. I had to tell him go for a walk.. 

I knew this was going to blow up today. That's why I posted last night Jake would be sent home today.  

Horrible situation. I am a parent of 17 and 19 year olds. I hope this young lady gets the help she needs and can begin to salvage her life. 

It must have been so hard on her. She went to a help site and posted her story as an anonymous person. It was obviously weighing heavy on her shoulders.  Prayers for the strong young lady and good on her to have the strength to be able to reach out for help. 

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Provost said:

Not true at all.  She can absolutely be telling the truth, but there isn’t sufficient evidence to get him charged or convicted.

It doesn’t mean she is lying.

A grown up understands that sexual assault victims can be believed and the accused can also get the presumption of innocence.

Victims have every right to be believed unless there is evidence that they are lying.  Only about 1 in 10 substantiated assaults result in conviction, that doesn’t mean the victims are lying 90% of the time.  On top of that, there are multiples of those numbers that go unreported or found unsubstantiated (not that the victim is lying... that there isn’t enough evidence to proceed).

yep

plus most modern studies show there's a false reporting rate of approx. 1.5-3 percent

3 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Back in 2014!!! Has it been that long????  

And he still can’t score on a consistent basis??  

I was pro Jake at the time too, but my buddy said that he was gonna be a bust. But I also remember saying that Larkin was going to pan out into a stud and should be on our draft list, while my friend said that he would only be third/fourth line at best. But between arguing about Virtanen vs. Ehlers/Nylander etc., we both ignored Pastrnak... My friend also wanted Benning's head when he traded picks for Vey and Dorsett - but I stood by Benning. Typing this actually brings back some pretty hilarious memories. I don't think I was ever more invested in a draft than the 2014 one. :lol:

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Statistically speaking you are incorrect. False accusations are statistically rare but they do happen.

I didn't speak to the truth of the allegations. Jakes behavior is well documented. IMO regardless of the truth of the allegations his unsavory behavior makes him a lightning rod the team doesn't need.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Like I said last night it is natural to be brought up when something like this was trending on Twitter last night. I was with you...

This is very serious stuff. One poster  was calling for you to be banned he was so angry. I had to tell him go for a walk.. 

I knew this was going to blow up today. That's why I posted last night Jake would be sent home today.  

Horrible situation. I am a parent of 17 and 19 year olds. I hope this young lady gets the help she needs and can begin to salvage her life. 

It must have been so hard on her. She went to a help site and posted her story as an anonymous person. It was obviously weighing heavy on her shoulders.  Prayers for the strong young lady and good on her to have the strength to be able to reach out for help. 

That poster was me. 

And to me bringing it up is fine. Claiming you know it is true with no direct or first hand evidence of that is not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CupIsComing said:

Lots to figure out here. Happened 3.5 years ago, alleged victim is going to media now. Why? Says the victim has contacted police, ok when? If at time of alleged offense then obviously the police have done nothing, therefore they have nothing. Delayed timelines and media interviews do not lend credibility to the story.

thats a big misconception about assault cases, people often wait a long time to come forward, the timing isn't evidence of anything either way. 

42 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats easy to say but the team has to be careful not to jump the gun. If they terminate and it is proven false that could mean a lawsuit from Virtanen.

not true, the canucks have sufficient reasoning to buy him out with his play this year.

Just now, hammertime said:

I didn't speak to the truth of the allegations. Jakes behavior is well documented. IMO regardless of the truth of the allegations his unsavory behavior makes him a lightning rod the team doesn't need.

It is possible he is a total scumbag but these allegations are false. Thats what investigations are for.