The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

I doubt the coach is urging Hughes to stay out for extended shifts. He's been doing that all season. He will be a key player for us so it is actually a good learning experience for him. That was one of the problems in the first condensed part of our schedule. We had too many players trying to be the difference maker and they ended up taking extended shifts. This lead to even more fatigue by the players who are relied upon more than others. It also took away from a cohesive team game by making players sit longer and losing the flow of the game.

When Petey got injured it forced us to play a better team game. Hopefully that lesson carries in to next season.

Just now, Devron44 said:

I’m really choked about it honestly. What are they thinking? I wouldn’t scratch him though, could you imagine the media.

Play him 15-16 minutes a game. Let him work on his game, get it confidence back. It’s not fair to the player running him 22-24 minutes a night. He’s 21 years old ffs. Like any player he needs development. Gotta stop throwing him to the wolves 

Green sets up his roster to play a certain way and doesn’t really adapt it the entire season.

He’s a one trick coach that doesn’t really know how to squeeze much out of other parts of the roster.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aquilinis are cheaping out on coaching though.

If Green walks I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire another rookie coach from the minors.

Need more from this ownership.

i remember a rumour that aquilini is looking to have the cheapest coaching staff in the nhl. i wonder how anyone would know that though.

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I’m really choked about it honestly. What are they thinking? I wouldn’t scratch him though, could you imagine the media.

Play him 15-16 minutes a game. Let him work on his game, get it confidence back. It’s not fair to the player running him 22-24 minutes a night. He’s 21 years old ffs. Like any player he needs development. Gotta stop throwing him to the wolves 

I look at it like this. If Toronto can rest Rielly etc after clinching the playoffs, then every fan and media person in Van who would complain about resting a clearly exhausted Hughes can eat a dick as far as I'm concerned.

Its even affecting his offensive decisions negatively now. He looks like he has no confidence to make a pass ffs.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

i remember a rumour that aquilini is looking to have the cheapest coaching staff in the nhl. i wonder how anyone would know that though.

If he said that, I think it shows how committed to winning he is. It also shows his love for money if that is indeed true. He’s in the wrong business. 

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

I heard he pulls $1000 off the coaching budget every time someone tweets “fire Benning” at him but that was just some hearsay.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aquilinis are cheaping out on coaching though.

If Green walks I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire another rookie coach from the minors.

Need more from this ownership.

Sigh...yup but they will just blame COVID...for cheaping out....

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I doubt the coach is urging Hughes to stay out for extended shifts. He's been doing that all season. He will be a key player for us so it is actually a good learning experience for him. That was one of the problems in the first condensed part of our schedule. We had too many players trying to be the difference maker and they ended up taking extended shifts. This lead to even more fatigue by the players who are relied upon more than others. It also took away from a cohesive team game by making players sit longer and losing the flow of the game.

When Petey got injured it forced us to play a better team game. Hopefully that lesson carries in to next season.

No way your putting this on Hughes. I disagree on this one. Extended shifts or not. Stop sending him on the ice so often. I don’t think it’s good for his development at all. I’ve seen too many young played broken in the past from rushing their development 

Bull$&!# season,bull$&!# result.

GO CANUCKS,!!!

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This team needs an experienced coach who knows how to build an identity and a system that works with the personnel he has.

First it needs a GM who knows how to build around a core to give that coach the players he needs and manage the cap.

Honestly, a good coach even for a few years would be Gerard Gallant.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

If he said that, I think it shows how committed to winning he is. It also shows his love for money if that is indeed true. He’s in the wrong business. 

there was no quote it was a rumour, by maybe taj? not a reputable source, but even a broken clock is right twice a day

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

But they will re-sign him out of loyalty and we’ll see another season of him being deployed as our top D man.

Sad that its been 7 years and we still don’t have anyone to step in and replace Edler. Shows how poor of a job Benning has done building up our D.

Imo, besides JC, no rookie d man was really given a legit chance to step in but good chance Edler will be re sign cause he has great intagibles & the nostalgic reasons are just endless.  Preferably, I hope all our FA's walk and the team continues to reload next year by playing & showcasing the future; it would had been nice if management & the staff would had accepted early on that this is a lossing year but I understand Green reasoning for playing the players he knows & trust - in the end, this year still turned out to be a lossing season despite playing the vets heavy minutes and outside of Lind, Hogz (players who seemed to had forced themselves into the roster) & Chatfield, it still seems unsure if OJ & the rest of the rookies can even step in next year.

Vintage - which page is the game re cap ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

there was no quote it was a rumour, by maybe taj? not a reputable source, but even a broken clock is right twice a day

I think its pretty clear Aquilini wants to go cheap on management and coaching. Gillis spent his money like water on all kinds of front office stuff and didnt get him a cup. But he was right to do so.

6 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Exactly. ^

When fans defend Green they need to think about this. 

Hughes is one of the two most important players to be developed on this team. 

If his development is handled poorly it will be a disaster.

Don't over play him except on the pp.

Don't expect at 21 and 170 lbs he is ready for 25 minutes a night against the other teams top players.

Green is not coming close to handling Hughes development properly and he needs to be held accountable for it.

Hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as "development" for elite players.. they don't need development they need a such ice time as possible

You can't ruin an elite player, only fixer uppers need development 

Just now, LeafsFanDan said:

Hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as "development" for elite players.. they don't need development they need a such ice time as possible

You can't ruin an elite player, only fixer uppers need development 

This is absolutely false. 

• Like 1