The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as "development" for elite players.. they don't need development they need a such ice time as possible

You can't ruin an elite player, only fixer uppers need development 

chara, bertuzzi. i'll stop there

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

No way your putting this on Hughes. I disagree on this one. Extended shifts or not. Stop sending him on the ice so often. I don’t think it’s good for his development at all. I’ve seen too many young played broken in the past from rushing their development 

This

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

No way your putting this on Hughes. I disagree on this one. Extended shifts or not. Stop sending him on the ice so often. I don’t think it’s good for his development at all. I’ve seen too many young played broken in the past from rushing their development 

Yes ^

Some fans have blinders on when it comes to Green. Hughes ice time is the coaching staff's responsibility. Baumgartner and Green determine how many minutes and in what situations Hughes plays.

He is being over played pure and simple.  Making him a green jacket candidate in his second year is  brutal.  Dial it back and think about what is best for the kid,  Play him on the pp as much as you want.  But put him in a position to grow into the responsibility at 5 on 5 against top players.  Don't just play him too exhaustion ffs. That is not good coaching. No way to defend it.

• Upvote 2

At this point firing Benning and getting another puppet rookie gm ain't the solution. 

We need a Burke here as either president of hockey ops or ceo of Canucks Sports and Entertainment that would put Aqua at arms length of the team. 

We need a stronger and more structured front office more than anything and just changing the gm ain't gonna help on that front as the guy will be too busy doing gm stuff than to rebuild the management organization from this piss poor state. 

Aqua has to do something this off season in the front office. Don't think we can fire JB at this point due to expansion and the quick turnaround to the offseason but Aqua must bring in a high level executive and let him evaluate and determine Jimbo's fate as GM this offseason and next season.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which is really just about us not having a good D core to begin with.

Hughes is constantly on the ice for goals against because of bad reads

Myers is constantly hot and cold 

Schmidt looks like a completely different player than he was on Vegas

Hamonic is probably our most steady D man and even he had a poor night

The D needs an overhaul. I’d let Edler walk and dump Schmidt or Myers. Time to rebuild the top four with another defensive coach.

Myers, Hamonic, Schmidt and Hughes can be 4 d-men for a playoff team.  New defensive coach might be needed for some fresh ideas...  plus our forwards haven't been good defensively. 

4 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as "development" for elite players.. they don't need development they need a such ice time as possible

You can't ruin an elite player, only fixer uppers need development 

Did you enjoy watching your first game tonight  partner?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

At this point firing Benning and getting another puppet rookie gm ain't the solution. 

We need a Burke here as either president of hockey ops or ceo of Canucks Sports and Entertainment that would put Aqua at arms length of the team. 

We need a stronger and more structured front office more than anything and just changing the gm ain't gonna help on that front as the guy will be too busy doing gm stuff than to rebuild the management organization from this piss poor state. 

Aqua has to do something this off season in the front office. Don't think we can fire JB at this point due to expansion and the quick turnaround to the offseason but Aqua must bring in a high level executive and let him evaluate and determine Jimbo's fate as GM this offseason and next season.

Yeah, a team president that can complement and challenge JB will be a good start ...

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Putting what on Hughes? The truth? He's been taking extended shifts all season. Do you somehow perceive that as an attack on him? It's not. Top players want to be difference makers. Especially late in a close game. We were only down by one and they still want to win.There's nothing wrong with that.

Personally I would rotate players in and out from the taxi squad to try to keep them from getting injured from fatigue as this shcedule wears on.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

I hope Eddy moves on. there will be a replacement for him in the offseason. Jesus fans were chasing bieksa out of town because some thought he got to slow. Eddy cant pass,gap control is non existant,takes dumb penalties and will never get his 100TH IF HE CANT WAIT FOR SOME TYPE OF SCREEN before he bloody shoots. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really hope that Edler isn't back next year.  Love the guy and what he's done for us but he's not an NHL calibre d-man anymore.  Whoever said that he skates as fast as goalies was right.  Just brutal. 

We don't have a replacement for Edler.. who replaced him... I'd extend him to a 1 year extension @ 4 mill or 2 yrs max @ 3.5 mill per year.. 

Someone said Schmidt but he's already on the team. Who replaces a big body strong as an ox veteran minute munching Dman 

No one on the horizon..

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Myers, Hamonic, Schmidt and Hughes can be 4 d-men for a playoff team.  New defensive coach might be needed for some fresh ideas...  plus our forwards haven't been good defensively. 

Our defense on paper is a lot better than what its showing.

It needs a true #1 guy that can play in all situations, has size, and can allow Hughes to do what he does best. 

I am not sold on Hamonic in the top 4. 

Hughes-True #1 RHD

Schmidt-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Rathbone, Bowey

This, under the right coaching, is a solid defensive group imo. Not league topping but good enough to be competitive.

Our forwards need to be a &^@# of a lot better defensively too btw. Many goals the last several games are due to forwards losibg their guy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Putting what on Hughes? The truth? He's been taking extended shifts all season. Do you somehow perceive that as an attack on him? It's not. Top players want to be difference makers. Especially late in a close game. We were only down by one and they still want to win.There's nothing wrong with that.

Personally I would rotate players in and out from the taxi squad to try to keep them from getting injured from fatigue as this shcedule wears on.

your right hughes isn't our worst defenceman but he is 5 on5, the passive collapsing system is the hardest on a dman as small as hughes. the main idea is to keep the net clear.

remember ovechkin played limited minutes 5 on 5 before he smartened up. i remember him getting 13 minutes a night

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Our defense on paper is a lot better than what its showing.

It needs a true #1 guy that can play in all situations, has size, and can allow Hughes to do what he does best. 

I am not sold on Hamonic in the top 4. 

Hughes-True #1 RHD

Schmidt-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Rathbone, Bowey

This, under the right coaching, is a solid defensive group imo. Not league topping but good enough to be competitive.

Our forwards need to be a &^@# of a lot better defensively too btw. Many goals the last several games are due to forwards losibg their guy.

Don’t we play 3 in 4 until the end of the season or something silly like that? 

I completely agree the team hasn’t played up to its talent level this year - but I don’t see many opportunities for Green to do a lot of coaching, either.

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aquilinis are cheaping out on coaching though.

If Green walks I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire another rookie coach from the minors.

Need more from this ownership.

:towel:

The team does need a strong President and a new GM. Think of it like the Pens hiring Burke and Hextall. It needs to be experienced, widely respected guys.

Another rookie GM and coach is just not going to move the needle. The Canucks need to buy some league wide respect and fear from player agents.

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They should be playing a heavier game. With Myers and Hamonic, utilizing that heft is a smart move to open up the ice. 

The team on the whole needs to play harder. Take the body. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

There’s nothing wrong with playing like that at the end of the game to try and tie it up. I’d be putting my best players on the ice as well but playing him 22-24 a night is not the answer right now. It’s not.

The guy can’t even make a pass right now. There was a play tonight where he usually pinches and keeps the play alive. He hesitated and it ended up in the back of the net. When Hughes is hesitating there’s something wrong. He looks lost out there right. He look exhausted.

For the sake of the player enough is enough. Are we really chancing any sort of derailment with our prized defencemen right now? Why?

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Don’t we play 3 in 4 until the end of the season or something silly like that? 

I completely agree the team hasn’t played up to its talent level this year - but I don’t see many opportunities for Green to do a lot of coaching, either.

Green looks and sounds like he is planning out his Seattle interview already. He has checked out. And Baumgartner and Brown are just incapable of finding any answers to their stale systems malfunctioning.