The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

12 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

heck If i was brown i would ask hughes in secret to run my pp.

edit: but what do i know i think chatfield would be good on the pk as a third dman

Brown will be gone at seasons end with the rest of our clown AHL/ECHL level interim/experimental coaches - except maybe Clark.  They have all failed AGAIN this year.  This team is in shambles - no better than the last 7 years.  

Something has to change or this be repeated over and over and over again like the past.   Isn't that the definition of insanity? 

• Sad 1

The list of excuses that keep Benning in his job is getting ridiculous now.

This year it will once again be injuries and also covid.

Th Canucks having so many injured is not some random luck thing. The way they play and the usage by the coachescleaves them more vulnerable. So does the fact they are a bunch of pussies who let other teams take liberties with no pushback. 

Want an example of how you respond when someone gives Motte a flying elbow or drives Boeser into the bench door or slashes and whacks the $&!# out of EP?

Watch how the Rangers responded to Tom Wilson when he punched Buchnevich and threw Panarin to the ice. Not one of them holds a candle in toughness to Wilson but every one of them was in the thick of it. 

Other teams know the Canucks will do nothing but hope for the PP, same as they have for over a decade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This team needs a warrior identity. That they have each others backs no matter what. And they need a coach and GM who lead that by example.

All we get is excuses from Benning anout how GM'ing is really hard and arrogance from Green that he doesnt owe anyone an answer to honest questions about the team.

No wonder other teams laugh and have a good time on the bench when they play us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Tortorella was a top coach and he came here despite a poor roster.

Don’t even mention ^this dude’s name.

As a coach he was a gong-show. I saw an irrational & overly-manipulative, core-busting, drama-addict. He seemed to have complete disdain for players of milder temperament & character. He wanted them angry & fired up, all of the time. Good senses be damned! 

If cerebral players don’t get there on his perceived timetable, Torts either bullies them or their ‘mates to launch them. I think that’s a pathetic approach long term & this is what gives Tortorella a short-shelf life in any one particular place - as a coach.

It’s a modern & less traditional NHL now. I like the process of coach’s climbing the ranks along with a core group of players in tow. Maturing together like AV got better growing his familiarity & experience coaching the Sedins & the Manitoba Moose group. That’s why it hurt to lose Markstrom, yet, Demmer is the real deal, too.

I don’t think the lads are performing at 100%, due to lingering & reoccurring symptoms like fatigue & the strain & drain it is, with this constant juggling of line mates, no practices and less than harmonic flow out there.

Instinctive play is a groove they aren’t able to stay in for long, and each error is huge when your goal scorers are tepid also. But, I still believe in the potential here & just wish we could latch onto another Toffoli or 2, by chance.

A new GM, President, or Director of Player Personnel & Hockey Operations could give this Canucks franchise a new flavour that different players may then choose to try.

But, after seeing so many managerial miscues & hearing the reports of his being repeatedly slow to communicate effectively with his players, my faith in Benning is gone, ...completely zapped-out. 

Edited by viking mama

24 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Th Canucks having so many injured is not some random luck thing. The way they play and the usage by the coachescleaves them more vulnerable. So does the fact they are a bunch of pussies who let other teams take liberties with no pushback. 

Want an example of how you respond when someone gives Motte a flying elbow or drives Boeser into the bench door or slashes and whacks the $&!# out of EP?

Watch how the Rangers responded to Tom Wilson when he punched Buchnevich and threw Panarin to the ice. Not one of them holds a candle in toughness to Wilson but every one of them was in the thick of it. 

Other teams know the Canucks will do nothing but hope for the PP, same as they have for over a decade.

This could possibly be "THE POST OF THE YEAR" !    

Good to see some hard truth re; this franchise.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1-d said:

Just imagine if Petey and Hughes didn't fall into his lap at the drafts.

I didn't live though Mike Keenan era, but to me this is the most inept & messy front office ever in Canucks history. Yes the problem starts at the ownership but this regime has just too many facepalm moments to be left alone.

Pettersson didn't fall into our laps. No one was expecting him to got that early.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

A big problem with this fanbase is the fact we have become complacent and are ok with losing. This franchise hasn’t won a thing over fifty years and some people are ok with that. Losing is losing. It’s what this fanbase has become accustomed to. I don’t get why people are ok with losing but they are.

No one is okay with losing. That is a load of crap. Just because not everyone has the energy to be pissed off all the time with losing doesn't mean we are okay with it.

23 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

No one is okay with losing. That is a load of crap. Just because not everyone has the energy to be pissed off all the time with losing doesn't mean we are okay with it.

With the team forced to play so many games after recovering from COVID, I don't know why anyone would expect anything more than this.

I'm not mad at these games at all. And if it leads to a higher draft position and the GM finally getting canned, then it's probably for the best, long-term.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

With the team forced to play so many games after recovering from COVID, I don't know why anyone would expect anything more than this.

I'm not mad at these games at all. And if it leads to a higher draft position and the GM finally getting canned, then it's probably for the best, long-term.

Sabres players they weren't 100% for almost 4-6 according to some of them(John/John brought it up). During that time they got back they were complete crap since their schedule was pretty crazy for the first 5 weeks back. 

They went on that crazy losing streak shortling after returning.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, J-23 said:

I love Miller but he's the one player I could see doing that on this team. I don't see this team going anywhere in the next few years even with Petey coming back, still a long ways to go. 

Miller is a good chip for the team if we want to build behind Podz and whatever it is we pick this year.   He's our Duchene.   OTT ... who in the league is most like they were when Sakic did the deal, and for an unprotected first ... then were the worst team in the league, slipped to 4 and COL added Byram?   Maybe SJ's Wilson is still in denial and wants to re-tool, his already re-tooled, re-tool?   Fair chance Miller won't be re-signed for several reasons ... cap being one of them. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Brown will be gone at seasons end with the rest of our clown AHL/ECHL level interim/experimental coaches - except maybe Clark.  They have all failed AGAIN this year.  This team is in shambles - no better than the last 7 years.  

Something has to change or this be repeated over and over and over again like the past.   Isn't that the definition of insanity? 

We ugh made the playoffs last year. Second round to be more accurate.  Almost 3rd.

• Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We ugh made the playoffs last year. Second round to be more accurate.  Almost 3rd.

Some continue to use 7 years ... but fail to mention two of those years we did make the playoffs.   Lots of praise for OTT rebuild ... missed four years in a row (just like us, need to get in next season or it will be one more in a row)...EDM just got in ... wait for it... the second time since 2006!   CAR missed 9 straight playoffs.   Detroit's  rebuilding their rebuild, on their second GM now.  

NYR went for a quick one ... picked up Zinbanejad and Panarin and Trouba, lucked out and got a second and first overall...missed this year.   Nice to have assets that can actually be traded like we did in the Keenan era, which was dark for other reasons (would be like this team going to the finals last year, adding say Mathews (Mogilny), and then blowing it up three years from now when they are in their primes).....

KB poked fun at us but he was also in a way poking fun at himself, given he was part of the country club that de-railed any recycling.   What he said about the media ... for sure he's for a little bone to pick and that's ok pick away.   Fans were quick to bring the daggers out then too, same ones that probably now look back with a tear in the eye with how good we actually had it back then. 

This is post Sedin 2 .. Adding Miller and Myers changed the complexion overnight, as did QHs as did Demko.   OJ and Hoglander this year ... Podz next.     Maybe the coaches need to go.   Maybe we need a finisher to come in and put the final touches on things.   But one thing we do have, is an exciting young core.   Sky isn't falling. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This team needs a warrior identity. That they have each others backs no matter what. And they need a coach and GM who lead that by example.

All we get is excuses from Benning anout how GM'ing is really hard and arrogance from Green that he doesnt owe anyone an answer to honest questions about the team.

No wonder other teams laugh and have a good time on the bench when they play us.

I wish we didn’t waste this season with Travis Green and his sweetheart Nolan Baumgartner both should be coaching women’s hockey.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Totally agree

Rangers played like a real team and a star player like Panarin did not hesitate to jump in. Pack mentality 

we simply are a selfish wimp team that refuses to respond and stick up for each other reflective of Coach Ghandi

even a pathetically coached losing team like us can stick up for each other but it doesn’t. Perhaps thats why we are a losing team? 

our coaching does not even meet Junior standards, forget about AHL level 

Tom Wilson must be regretting the fact he is not playing in the North division. The fun he he could have playing us is endless and to do it without any on ice repercussions is a dream come true

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Some continue to use 7 years ... but fail to mention two of those years we did make the playoffs.   Lots of praise for OTT rebuild ... missed four years in a row (just like us, need to get in next season or it will be one more in a row)...EDM just got in ... wait for it... the second time since 2006!   CAR missed 9 straight playoffs.   Detroit's  rebuilding their rebuild, on their second GM now.  

NYR went for a quick one ... picked up Zinbanejad and Panarin and Trouba, lucked out and got a second and first overall...missed this year.   Nice to have assets that can actually be traded like we did in the Keenan era, which was dark for other reasons (would be like this team going to the finals last year, adding say Mathews (Mogilny), and then blowing it up three years from now when they are in their primes).....

KB poked fun at us but he was also in a way poking fun at himself, given he was part of the country club that de-railed any recycling.   What he said about the media ... for sure he's for a little bone to pick and that's ok pick away.   Fans were quick to bring the daggers out then too, same ones that probably now look back with a tear in the eye with how good we actually had it back then. 

This is post Sedin 2 .. Adding Miller and Myers changed the complexion overnight, as did QHs as did Demko.   OJ and Hoglander this year ... Podz next.     Maybe the coaches need to go.   Maybe we need a finisher to come in and put the final touches on things.   But one thing we do have, is an exciting young core.   Sky isn't falling. 

The fact we continue to regress and it took a play in to make the playoffs last year is hardly “making the playoffs”  

no success whatsoever for the last 7 years and the last 4 were the worst 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Yet the coaches are fine?

are you serious?

we were out of it long before Covid

jb and Green need to go 

5 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

they have been changing it up, they set up hughes for a one timer, unfortunately he only has a ok shot. my favorite plays is when they pass it to boeser then miller then feed horvat for a onetimer in the slot. i believe sometimes they need boeser to walk up to the point and feed a moving hughes so he can make plays down low or pass back to boeser and feed miller a one timer. hughes is the key imo

The power play sucks. Hughes to Miller, back to Hughes, back to Miller cross ice to Boeser and a shot. Everybody is static. Nobody is moving their feet. The bumper play you are referring to worked great until teams figured out all they had to do is basically eliminate Horvat from having enough space to receive a pass and get a shot off. I can’t believe how bad our coaches are and how easily predictable everything we do is. Everything from zone exits off the glass, the drop pass on zone entry’s on the power play, to standing still in the D zone trying to force shots to the outside, the Canucks are the easiest team in the NHL to play against not named Buffalo. 

8 hours ago, 1-d said:

I didn't live though Mike Keenan era, but to me this is the most inept & messy front office ever in Canucks history. Yes the problem starts at the ownership but this regime has just too many facepalm moments to be left alone.

That's why high picks are desired.  Lots of fall pack picks. 

8 hours ago, 1-d said:

Fall into his lap lol. You act like petey fell 10 spots. In fact it was the complete opposite. Jim can be criticized for many things. Drafting/scouting isnt one of them.