The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

We ugh made the playoffs last year. Second round to be more accurate.  Almost 3rd.

We also went to Cup finals game 7 in 2011 to then turn around in 2012 and lose round 1.

It is a what are you doing for me now not what have you done in the past. The past is the past and you only have control of the present and near future. Or from the mouth of GM JB " You know...it is what it is, 2 more years away"

I don't know how irrational and out of touch with reality someone has to be to expect this group, with everything that has happened this season, to be a competitive playoff team right now. We were playing well before the covid outbreak, despite many new faces in the lineup and the worst possible schedule in the NHL. And then a virus that has killed millions of people worldwide infected the whole team, and they didn't play for a whole month. Once that was over, they got put right back onto the ice on an even worse schedule they started with. I bet the heavyweight whiners here have never played a sport in their life outside of high school PE, otherwise they'd have somewhat of an idea what taking a month off of a professional sport, with a virus that affects lungs significantly, does to your body, especially when you're playing multiple back to backs without proper time to get back into game shape.

It's hard to believe I had to spell out this last paragraph out to full grown adults. For the first time in my life, the media of all people is more reasonable and taking it easy on the team over some of these "fans". The team obviously needs improvements, there's no denying that, but hold your doom and gloom until the off season, or better yet, till we see the performance of the team next year when things are closer to normal. 

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This team needs a warrior identity. That they have each others backs no matter what. And they need a coach and GM who lead that by example.

All we get is excuses from Benning anout how GM'ing is really hard and arrogance from Green that he doesnt owe anyone an answer to honest questions about the team.

No wonder other teams laugh and have a good time on the bench when they play us.

Perhaps when some of the hold over(s) from the previous era are gone, the gentleman type hockey will finally go with them.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Totally agree

Rangers played like a real team and a star player like Panarin did not hesitate to jump in. Pack mentality 

we simply are a selfish wimp team that refuses to respond and stick up for each other reflective of Coach Ghandi

even a pathetically coached losing team like us can stick up for each other but it doesn’t. Perhaps thats why we are a losing team? 

our coaching does not even meet Junior standards, forget about AHL level 

Tom Wilson must be regretting the fact he is not playing in the North division. The fun he he could have playing us is endless and to do it without any on ice repercussions is a dream come true

This message brought to you by Mr Jr B. 

People can blame the GM / coach and I question some of their decisions, but the bottom line is we are at a disadvantage with a 10M gap in our cap until 2022-23 season. Yes you can blame JB/Linden for the Eriksson signing and a few for the Luongo recapture.

We just don't have the depth to compete until this 10M is off the books, so now is the time to get a couple good picks hopefully, develop our youth and basically do what Ottawa is doing.

Don't give prospects or picks away to dump Eriksson, Roussel, and even Beagle. Ride it out, and get excited for our prospects, and see how our young stars improve their game. We have talent that just needs some more time.

2022-23 will be a new start for who ever is on charge which will see us in the top half of the league to start, and hopefully be a top 5 team by 23-24.

This rebuild started 3 years ago after the Sedin era, so it isn't out of the realm to expect to wait a bit longer.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 13231 said:

I don't know how irrational and out of touch with reality someone has to be to expect this group, with everything that has happened this season, to be a competitive playoff team right now. We were playing well before the covid outbreak, despite many new faces in the lineup and the worst possible schedule in the NHL. And then a virus that has killed millions of people worldwide infected the whole team, and they didn't play for a whole month. Once that was over, they got put right back onto the ice on an even worse schedule they started with. I bet the heavyweight whiners here have never played a sport in their life outside of high school PE, otherwise they'd have somewhat of an idea what taking a month off of a professional sport, with a virus that affects lungs significantly, does to your body, especially when you're playing multiple back to backs without proper time to get back into game shape.

It's hard to believe I had to spell out this last paragraph out to full grown adults. For the first time in my life, the media of all people is more reasonable and taking it easy on the team over some of these "fans". The team obviously needs improvements, there's no denying that, but hold your doom and gloom until the off season, or better yet, till we see the performance of the team next year when things are closer to normal. 

A few of us have stated the same message as you, the trolls don't give a damn about this team anyway so no use trying to give a rational argument. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We also went to Cup finals game 7 in 2011 to then turn around in 2012 and lose round 1.

It is a what are you doing for me now not what have you done in the past. The past is the past and you only have control of the present and near future. Or from the mouth of GM JB " You know...it is what it is, 2 more years away"

If that's the attitude we may as well let petey walk as a UFA... hasn't done anything for is in a couple months ya?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Burying the kid and I don’t like it 

I'm sorry but I'm not a supporter of Green, Brown, and Baumer. 

Gaudette struggles here. Goes to Chicago and shows improvement.

Hughes is being relied on far too much.

When others show they can help out, they get limited ice time like OJ.

For a guy who's supposedly good at developing young talent. Seems like Cull in Utica is doing a better job. 

New coaching staff but renew Clark. 

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

A few of us have stated the same message as you, the trolls don't give a damn about this team anyway so no use trying to give a rational argument. 

Trolls. I love the finger pointing. There are definitely some overly negative, irrational posters on here but on there are also some level headed realists. They see things from both sides of the spectrum. The reality is that this team has some nice pieces and a core they can build around but in reality the stats prove that this team is not built to contend and are at the bottom of the league defensively. They rely sorely on their top players to provide offense and their goalies to stand on their heads given how many chances and shots they give up every night. It’s not a sustainable formula for success. The bottom 6 is atrocious and provides next to zero offense. You need offense from up and down your lineup. The team Is still reliant on a 34 year old defenceman who can barely keep up to the play to shut down other teams best lines, with no apparent heir in the system. There are some positives for sure, and I’m hopeful that next season they will be better. That being said, the reality is they are a long ways away from having a sniff at keeping up with the big dogs. You can preach patience all you want, but next year is year 9 for our GM and aside from the bubble run this team is playing no different than they did 3-4 years ago. 

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Trolls. I love the finger pointing. There are definitely some overly negative, irrational posters on here but on there are also some level headed realists. They see things from both sides of the spectrum. The reality is that this team has some nice pieces and a core they can build around but in reality the stats prove that this team is not built to contend and are at the bottom of the league defensively. They rely sorely on their top players to provide offense and their goalies to stand on their heads given how many chances and shots they give up every night. It’s not a sustainable formula for success. The bottom 6 is atrocious and provides next to zero offense. You need offense from up and down your lineup. The team Is still reliant on a 34 year old defenceman who can barely keep up to the play to shut down other teams best lines, with no apparent heir in the system. There are some positives for sure, and I’m hopeful that next season they will be better. That being said, the reality is they are a long ways away from having a sniff at keeping up with the big dogs. You can preach patience all you want, but next year is year 9 for our GM and aside from the bubble run this team is playing no different than they did 3-4 years ago. 

Throw in a pandemic which hit this team harder than any pro team in Sport, and this is the record you'll get. 8 forwards who would be regulars on the roster missing from last nights game. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

Throw in a pandemic which hit this team harder than any pro team in Sport, and this is the record you'll get. 8 forwards who would be regulars on the roster missing from last nights game. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for this season.

And they were thrown into a hole with a schedule that no other team endured at the start.  So absolute fatigue then COVID (minus your star player).  

"Realists"

I'm not opposed to changes because sometimes fresh ideas and perspective can jump start a team.  But this team is just plain worn out...ground down and digging deep just to survive out there.  It's not a good time to measure what they are/aren't.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I don't think we can call this year a normal year for the Canucks and really not making excuses.

Mix worse sched in NHL, worst Covid breakout,  and losing your #1 centre/player for the majority of the season to start

2018- 26th

2019- 23rd

2020- 17th

so they are getting better....

• Vintage 3

35 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

People can blame the GM / coach and I question some of their decisions, but the bottom line is we are at a disadvantage with a 10M gap in our cap until 2022-23 season. Yes you can blame JB/Linden for the Eriksson signing and a few for the Luongo recapture.

We just don't have the depth to compete until this 10M is off the books, so now is the time to get a couple good picks hopefully, develop our youth and basically do what Ottawa is doing.

Don't give prospects or picks away to dump Eriksson, Roussel, and even Beagle. Ride it out, and get excited for our prospects, and see how our young stars improve their game. We have talent that just needs some more time.

2022-23 will be a new start for who ever is on charge which will see us in the top half of the league to start, and hopefully be a top 5 team by 23-24.

This rebuild started 3 years ago after the Sedin era, so it isn't out of the realm to expect to wait a bit longer.

Yep.  Ride it out til 2022/23 season.  Hopefully by then, we can build up some scoring depth.  Some draft steals would help (aka EP, QH, etc).

We need to improve the D core and get a game breaker.  Change the coaching staff (or at least the PP).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

8 regulars. Aside from Petey, the other regulars missing including Sutter, Motte, Virtanen, Beagle, and Roussel have accumulated 22 goals amongst them. That’s 5 of your 6 “regulars” in the bottom 6. That’s not good enough. The COVID excuse and tough schedule are valid points for sure as it’s going to cause wear and tear, but cannot overshadow the facts I stated before. Maybe they will bounce back next year and have a better season, but the system they play and the players they have surrounding their best players aren’t good enough. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not a supporter of Green, Brown, and Baumer. 

Gaudette struggles here. Goes to Chicago and shows improvement.

Hughes is being relied on far too much.

When others show they can help out, they get limited ice time like OJ.

For a guy who's supposedly good at developing young talent. Seems like Cull in Utica is doing a better job. 

New coaching staff but renew Clark. 

In his defense, heck knows why Green has been left out to hang & dry.  Support him or hate him, that's *NOT* the way to treat a head coach in charge of a mixture of prospects & vets on his bench who's contract expires at the end of this season.  Who the heck do you think he'll lean on most games?  Sure as heck not rookies/sophmores because his job is on the line.  He has ZERO job security because of the lack of extension.  Heck, even veteran NHL head coaches WITH term tend to lean on veteran players and/or players they're familiar with (either in the NHL or from their days coaching in the minors).

Factors such as league scheduling, injuries & COVID are beyond the control of management.  This clearly wasn't.

Now we have guys like OJ who sit mostly on the bench (and or be a healthy scratch) in a mean nothing season (at this point).  But Benning is too busy in Texas (where I assume his assistant GM Weisbrod is there making his coffee) to work out a deal for his head coach.  Make a decision.  Fire him or give him an extension.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, 13231 said:

We were playing well before the covid outbreak, despite many new faces in the lineup and the worst possible schedule in the NHL.

So, are we blaming COVID, the lousy schedule and the new faces in the lineup as the reasons for this season? Why not add the refs and the NHL who are out to get the Canucks? I'm not buying what they're selling, they'll spin it that way to save their jobs. (management and the coaches) 

The Canucks didn't have a very good first half, and were never really a playoff team. 11-15-2 at the halfway mark, not good.

Canucks were never good enough all season. Time for some big changes IMO.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Before the outbreak (ie data up to 24 March only) they were already ranked last in expected goals against per Sportlogiq’s tracking technology. 

They also had them last in slot shots against, slot pass completion against, rush scoring chances against and bottom-5 in cycle chances against, forecheck chances against as well as controlled zone entries.  Demko was saving them 1 goal every 2 games.  

His numbers and the team understandably took a hit coming back from the outbreak but there’s still concern about before.  Not sure that blaming it all on the schedule or division format and hoping that things will be better next season will be sufficient.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, are we blaming COVID, the lousy schedule and the new faces in the lineup as the reasons for this season? Why not add the refs and the NHL who are out to get the Canucks? I'm not buying what they're selling, they'll spin it that way to save their jobs. (management and the coaches) 

The Canucks didn't have a very good first half, and were never really a playoff team. 11-15-2 at the halfway mark, not good.

Canucks were never good enough all season. Time for some big changes IMO.

I can overlook the schedule of first half of the season and new lineup to a certain degree as excuses (not completely, but to some extent), but if you're just going to brush off Covid, missing a month of play, and having to suddenly play multiple back to backs and place that into the same category as blaming refs, then you truly don't know what you're talking about bud. We were trending upwards in March, and by all means we could've made the playoffs with a healthy team once the schedule began to balance out. A team's standing at the half point of a close, competitive season is no definite mark of where it will finish at the year's end. Look up over a hundred years of NHL history to verify that claim. 

There will be changes, which I believe starts with the coaching staff because their systems are objectively bad and they have failed to make in game adjustments many times over several seasons. On top of that, it seems evident the locker room needs a new, more experienced voice. This is also a key off season with many contracts being unloaded and cap space opening up. But right now at this moment, is a time to have context, and not sh1t on your team that is evidently playing their hearts out after overcoming a virus that has caused a worldwide pandemic. 

I'll reiterate, wait until this off season and see where things go, and determine the actual quality of this team next season when things should be back to where they should be. If we are still bottom feeders at the 55-60 game range, go ahead with the outrage galore, I'll probably join in as well. But the constant negativity and whining right now given the circumstances is outright immature and embarrassing. 

Totally agree with most of the comments here about fatigue, lousy schedule, injuries, etc.  However, I also agree that this team lacks that wolfpack-warrior cohesiveness.  Say what you want about guys like Wilson in Washington (I don't care for him) but opposing players skate with their heads up and take a split second longer to make a pass when he is in their area.  When we had guys like Burrows and Lapierre on the team they would always lay it on the line for their teammates.  Do we have any players on the current roster who would do this?