The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

my opinion, neither Benning nor Green are going anywhere. This season has been anything but close to being routine or normal.

I agree this season didn’t work well for us on almost every level.

Benning is for sure not going anywhere for 2 years. Not sure about Green. Regardless enjoy the comments on this one 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Benning is for sure not going anywhere for 2 years. Not sure about Green. Regardless enjoy the comments on this one 

A 56 game season at that. With according to the dopes at SN, a Covid break.

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

my opinion, neither Benning nor Green are going anywhere. This season has been anything but close to being routine or normal.

One could come to that determination based on what Aquilini last said, for sure. Regardless of how f'ed up this season is and has been, there are some issues that run deeper than this season that need to be addressed and rectified. To continue with business as usual is to admit (at least in my humble opinion) that nothing is wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

A 56 game season at that. With according to the dopes at SN, a Covid break.

That’s the thing nobody cares what they went through or what they still may be going through. It’s just another disappointing season 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

He won't. Would you accept being demoted from a manager back to a shift worker in the same company. 

That's not an apt analogy. Benning loves him some scouting and drafting more than almost anything else in his job. As the head of scouting, he'd have a fair amount of autonomy and be playing to his strengths. He would be taking a paycut most likely, so I can see this being where your analogy has some legs.

While he might not accept it, I can't see another NHL team giving him a shot at GM after his tenure here. Well, maybe Buffalo....

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

That's not an apt analogy. Benning loves him some scouting and drafting more than almost anything else in his job. As the head of scouting, he'd have a fair amount of autonomy and be playing to his strengths. He would be taking a paycut most likely, so I can see this being where your analogy has some legs.

While he might not accept it, I can't see another NHL team giving him a shot at GM after his tenure here. Well, maybe Buffalo....

He can always get a head scout job with another organization. Analogy still valid. You might admit you need to take a step back in your career but sure ain't gonna do it with the same company. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We all know the schedule is not in favour of the Canucks. But generally, it has made no sense and this is an example of that:

• 15 games on Saturday
  • 1 game on Sunday
  • 14 games today

Why not spread the games around more?

Because the last thing the NHL brass care about are the health and well-being of the players. 

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We all know the schedule is not in favour of the Canucks. But generally, it has made no sense and this is an example of that:

• 15 games on Saturday
  • 1 game on Sunday
  • 14 games today

Why not spread the games around more?

All the games were today. Weren't they?

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

He can always get a head scout job with another organization. Analogy still valid. You might admit you need to take a step back in your career but sure ain't gonna do it with the same company. 

Easy tex. I said it wasn't an apt analogy. I never questioned it's validity. Merely it's aptness.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

This season was a wash almost from the start. One of the strangest yet with Covid, injuries, condensed schedule, no fans etc. Benning is under contract for the next 2 years, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be fired. IMO that doesn’t happen tho.

Not sure about Green either. I think this team needs a coaching shake-up for the sake of the players getting a fresh start. Also that is the weakest bottom six I have seen since the WD days. That is all.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Scouting the same players your scouts have been watching yourself is a pretty good means of evaluating their work.  Better than waiting until the scouts recommend a dud.

Its called redundant actually. Scouts you dont trust to do their job arent going to be scouts very long.

Benning himself has recommended - and drafted - a few duds himself. Maybe the scouts should have evaluated his work too.

Your comment displays a significant misunderstanding of what scouting actually is and how its done by competent organizations.

There is a reason a lot of good employees in the management have left. Benning has shown that he struggles with giving his staff the autonomy to do what they are hired to do. He has centralized everything to him and Weisbrod rather than trusting his staff and effectively delegating.

Edited by wallstreetamigo