The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We all know the schedule is not in favour of the Canucks. But generally, it has made no sense and this is an example of that:

• 15 games on Saturday
  • 1 game on Sunday
  • 14 games today

Why not spread the games around more?

they all go to the Church of Virtanen on Sundays?

(that thread aged well....)

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This season was a wash almost from the start. One of the strangest yet with Covid, injuries, condensed schedule, no fans etc. Benning is under contract for the next 2 years, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be fired. IMO that doesn’t happen tho.

Not sure about Green either. I think this team needs a coaching shake-up for the sake of the players getting a fresh start. Also that is the weakest bottom six I have seen since the WD days. That is all.

I like it when people just make even points on what’s realistic and what they think. Comments like yours go miles. As opposed to extremes we see on here all the time. 

And I agree with your statement but the bottom six is still better then the Willie days when you consider they entire bottom six is basically injured 

• Cheers 1

Any way we can put both Demko and Holtby in net against EDM? Use 4 skaters? lol 

P**-poor coaching from the special teams and defence. I don't expect Benning or Green to be fired, but I sure hope they upgrade on Baumgartner and Brown. 

I reckon the Highmore - Graovac - Hawryluk line is going to see a lot of McDavid.  Prolly our fastest line to keep up (Lockwood, if here, and Bailey, if healthy, sure would be nice to have). Not sure Bo's line with Lind on it is going to get the the heavy match-up minutes.  Scoring has been so thin lately that they might be getting leaned on for offense

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Any way we can put both Demko and Holtby in net against EDM? Use 4 skaters? lol 

P**-poor coaching from the special teams and defence. I don't expect Benning or Green to be fired, but I sure hope they upgrade on Baumgartner and Brown. 

Ok, just gonna put this out there.

If the Canucks put two goalies and 4 skaters on I would be pretty impressed with the ingenuity.

• RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

It wasn’t that long ago that people thought Cull was a disaster down in Utica.

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Who did?  I heard nothing to that effect?  @Ray_Cathode@UticaHockey? You hear anything?

Oh, there was a time when our Utica prospects weren’t developing up to some folks’ expectations….so a lot of people did what they tend to do. Blame the coach (in this case Cull), rather than realize that not all prospects follow the quick and easy path. I mean, if I didn’t have much of a life I could go back and surely find lots of posts ripping into Cull about not gifting the Lind’s and Gadj’s a ton of ice time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Green was asked about Rathbone and was non committal about playing him.

It kind of ties in with defense in general. Green was asked about the team playing 'defense' and he was non committal about it.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont care about the zoom call. I wonder more why the GM and AGM are out scouting rather than letting their scouts do that while they try to get a handle on other things that need to get done.

He’s always done his own scouting since day one. Maybe that will be his down fall with this job but it’s what got him the gig in the first place. I agree it doesn’t look good. But JBs draft record speaks for itself, he’s one of the best for over 2 decades going back to his days in Buffalo. There is some crazy stat out there when we hired him that his draft history for nhl players per 100 games is better than entire organizations combined over those 2 decades. He finds nhl talent every year. His dad Elmer was a scout till he passed away at 77. It’s in his blood. Does it make him the best GM, as we’ve found out that’s a no, but he has re stocked the empty cupboards we once had and done average at the rest in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I told you this thread would drop from the one star level - I didn't expect you to be the cause of it  :)

Hey, I can be as apocalyptic as the next guy.

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I like it when people just make even points on what’s realistic and what they think. Comments like yours go miles. As opposed to extremes we see on here all the time. 

And I agree with your statement but the bottom six is still better then the Willie days when you consider they entire bottom six is basically injured 

The bottom six is still better than the Willie days, even after the injuries, considering that at least all of our guys have some hope of being NHLers as opposed to being useless pieces of garbage like Megna.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He’s always done his own scouting since day one. Maybe that will be his down fall with this job but it’s what got him the gig in the first place. I agree it doesn’t look good. But JBs draft record speaks for itself, he’s one of the best for over 2 decades going back to his days in Buffalo. There is some crazy stat out there when we hired him that his draft history for nhl players per 100 games is better than entire organizations combined over those 2 decades. He finds nhl talent every year. His dad Elmer was a scout till he passed away at 77. It’s in his blood. Does it make him the best GM, as we’ve found out that’s a no, but he has re stocked the empty cupboards we once had and done average at the rest in my opinion. 

It's more of a benefit this year anyway with the limited sample size for most players.  We only have so many scouts to send out and this is the time for it to be all hands on deck.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The bottom six is still better than the Willie days, even after the injuries, considering that at least all of our guys have some hope of being NHLers as opposed to being useless pieces of garbage like Megna.

That’s true and we never had legit young candidates for the next year in those days.

Lind, Gadj, Mac come to mind.

Also Motte is probably better then any of the bottom six from those days as well. Any updates on his injury do you know?

• Upvote 1