The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Burke has nothing but good things to say about him in his book.  I'm trying to change my mind on him.

good to know. thanks Deb. I've been thinking about buying his book, maybe I will. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

How is that book. Does it keep the reader interested?

Excellent...I couldn't put it down.

He's candid, frank and the stories are short but super entertaining.  Really good insight into it all and he doesn't put himself out there like he's perfect.  He admits his own flaws as well as others.  I loved the book.

I hate books that drag stories on (like the Roger Nielson book) and you have to "follow" them.  This one really kept me interested.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

If I buy baklava I want minimum 3 times as many walnuts. I get covid margins are slim, but this isn't baklava, it's just phyllo.   

Where do you get your favourites?  

I should've went to AFRA, at least I could have upped my feta supply as well.   

bakla.thumb.jpg.7f9ea01d4ee54a282a73d99654a20d54.jpg

Apparently I suck at resizing images... at least you get my walnut point.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

'Almost as bad as Glitter Gary'

No kidding, what a fail that guy is/was. I think 'Rock and Roll' has been played multiple times at canucks games.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We have an offensive system, it just doesn't work. Our system without someone like Petey who can control an offensive zone entry, is to dump and chase. The problem with the Canucks as of late is that they just don't win puck battles. The other team wins loose pucks and board battles, and transitions the puck with ease. We have 2 players maybe 3 that can retrieve the puck, and they are the players we want in the slot for a quick shot. Boeser, Miller and Motte. We do not play to our strengths, and we continuously attempt what our coaches are beating into their heads play after play. 

The same can be said for the powerplay. Newell Brown has a game plan, and the players will NEVER stray away from it. What's hilarious is that we get more attempts shorthanded against us, than chances for. We don't adapt to different teams, and we are scared to make actual hockey plays. 

Totally agree on puck battles. See it very often and its sad when our best puck battlers are Hogs and Motte..our smallest guys 

but we can make up with better breakouts and better passing schemes 

The button hook just inside the offensive blueline is a predictable play and kills the speed of the play 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

No kidding, what a fail that guy is/was. I think 'Rock and Roll' has been played multiple times at canucks games.

Ya, had been. It was a staple across a lot of sports. 

You don't hear it anymore. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Excellent...I couldn't put it down.

He's candid, frank and the stories are short but super entertaining.  Really good insight into it all and he doesn't put himself out there like he's perfect.  He admits his own flaws as well as others.  I loved the book.

I hate books that drag stories on and you have to "follow" them.  This one really kept me interested.

Thanks all I needed to know. I will definitely put it on my list.

I like to read but if it not interesting and ends up being a chore that ain’t my thing 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

good to know. thanks Deb. I've been thinking about buying his book, maybe I will. 

I read 'The Game' by Dryden many years ago. It was an insightful read. What is the name of Burke's book?

@debluvscanucks 

I googled it and found it thanks. Enjoy the game tonight.

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

This may be off topic as I haven't read all the bits on the subject, but I feel like since the lockouts Bettman has done a fantastic job growing the game. Sure, we as fans boo him cause he's the commissioner of an imperfect league and we always want more, but he embraces the heel, does the bidding of the owners, and covid aside, has been successfully growing the league for near decades (1993, that's a pretty long run).  

He owns up to being the heel to us plebs, but league revenue speaks for itself.  

For being the last of the big 4, he's still a better commish than Manfred or Goodell, and I can't speak to NBA what's-his-name cause who cares.  

My unprompted $0.02

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Thanks all I needed to know. I will definitely put it on my list.

I like to read but if it not interesting and ends up being a chore that ain’t my thing 

That happened to me with "Roger's World" (Roger Nielson).  Started it last summer....still not finished it, put it down and never went back to it.  It had some good stuff in it...but it was too much info and you had to kind of keep track of things to follow it.

• Like 1