The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDP to vote with Conservatives on C-10

53 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

10 years ago... The Canucks run was about the same time. Ever since then, NDP has been in decline.

Just need the right person in the lead job.

Lots and lots of people aren't happy as it sits now, tap into that and they could challange again.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I remember Glenn Clark lying about a balanced budget to get elected and a fast ferry project that put us in the poor house......I could keep going

The ferry were not wanted by B.C. Ferries and were foisted upon them. They were overbudget and the wrong type of ship. Remember though, that the Liberals turned down more money for those ships than they sold them for at auction later on.

Unexpected spin off from them being built is a  vibrant aluminum small boat industry in B.C.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

The ferry were not wanted by B.C. Ferries and were foisted upon them. They were overbudget and the wrong type of ship. Remember though, that the Liberals turned down more money for those ships than they sold them for at auction later on.

Unexpected spin off from them being built is a  vibrant aluminum small boat industry in B.C.

apparently they ended up in Egypt. For some reason I find that hilarious. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Should have been re engined and run at conventional speed.

Crying shame is the ferries continue to need new ships, that could be built here, but everyone says "Remmber what happened thirty yerars ago" thinking that it could onlybe exactly the same.

Between ferries and coast gaurd ships we could have  had thousands of people working, paying taxs, buying stuf from people that would be paying taxes....and so on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

One mans garbage is another mans treasure. 

Unless of course that garbage crosses the pacific and ends up in the Philippines. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

I remember Glenn Clark lying about a balanced budget to get elected and a fast ferry project that put us in the poor house......I could keep going

I don't vote NDP but anything they did pales in comparison to what the BC Libs did to this province.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't vote NDP but anything they did pales in comparison to what the BC Libs did to this province.

agreed! For what it is worth, the BC libs are the only provincial LIb party that is NOT affiliated with the Federal Liberal Party. The BC Libs are thought of as having been co-opted by conservatives and socreds whose own BC parties are unelectable. Just making sure everyone reading is fully aware of that fact. My mom's Nephew, they are two years apart in age, was the SOCRED Minister of Lands and Forests and then a BC Conservative and now a BC Liberal. very conservative gentleman. (edit: he never got re-elected after Vander Zalm fell, and swept the socreds with him, but he was a member of the CONS and now the Libs..its a shell game with that name.)

Edited by Primal Optimist

2 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

is....is that your metric?

BC was actually turning things around very well after a disastrous decade from NAFTA and the Sustainable Forestry Practices Act that saw every major non european logging nation suffer.   

The fast ferries just needed a minor retrofit and they would have worked very well.  They were instead let rot intentionally and then sold for pennies on the dollar after other bids were intentionally ignored.

Fact is the NDOP of the 90s were in fact FAR better stewards of BCs economy over their decade than the BC Liberals were in either of the nearly 2 decades they were holding power.  16 years in charge and what a mess.....

Prior to the last provincial election in 2013, the Business Council of British Columbia released a study called "A Decade by Decade Review of British Columbia's Economic Performance." It compared the economic indicators of the three decades governed respectively by the Social Credit Party, the NDP and the B.C. Liberals. The result is that by certain measures the NDP of the '90s actually had the best economic performance.

Here are the conclusions of the study:

GDP growth: The Social Credit decade had an average growth rate of 2.12 per cent, the the Liberals 2.36 per cent and the NDP 2.72 per cent. The NDP decade is the best of the three.

Job creation: Under the Liberals jobs grew by 1.58 per cent, under the Social Credit Party 1.91 per cent and under the NDP by 2.17 per cent. The NDP decade also had better performance.

Unemployment: Social Credit had an average rate of 11.48 per cent, NDP 8.87 per cent and the Liberals 6.63 per cent. The Liberals scored.

Business investment (non-private residential investment): As regards non-private residential investment, the Social Credit growth was 0.81 per cent, NDP got three per cent and the Liberals had 5.53 per cent.

Export: B.C.'s exports remained generally unchanged over the past three decades, fluctuating between 42 and 43 per cent of the GDP. However, the study notes that the NDP's decade in power had the strongest export performance, whereas the Liberals' had the weakest.

The Liberals' so-called "Lost Decade" is contrary to the facts.

For the above five economic indicators, the NDP's governing decade recorded the best performance on three counts: economic growth, job creation and (arguably) exports, whereas the Liberals were better in business investment (non-private residential investment) and unemployment.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/gabriel-yiu/bc-ndp-lost-decade_b_16252392.html

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, gurn said:

Should have been re engined and run at conventional speed.

Crying shame is the ferries continue to need new ships, that could be built here, but everyone says "Remmber what happened thirty yerars ago" thinking that it could onlybe exactly the same.

Between ferries and coast gaurd ships we could have  had thousands of people working, paying taxs, buying stuf from people that would be paying taxes....and so on.

it is a shame we don't have more ship building capacity, thats for sure. 

I don't blame people for being wary of the NDP though when it comes to large scale industrial projects, given how much anti-industry sentiment there is in the party. I think that makes things harder than they need to be from the outset. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, gurn said:

I don't care about what the Liberals did I just remember Clark should have been put in prison but ended up with a six figure job with Jimmy Patersson

Those Fast Ferries were a joke and should have never been built it was buddying up with Unions for votes. Nothing you can say gets any support from me for the NDP period

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I've never said one is better than the other, all I've said is the NDP suck and so do most parties in this country. I vote Green but wish they had more business friendly

18 hours ago, Warhippy said:

is....is that your metric?

BC was actually turning things around very well after a disastrous decade from NAFTA and the Sustainable Forestry Practices Act that saw every major non european logging nation suffer.   

The fast ferries just needed a minor retrofit and they would have worked very well.  They were instead let rot intentionally and then sold for pennies on the dollar after other bids were intentionally ignored.

Fact is the NDOP of the 90s were in fact FAR better stewards of BCs economy over their decade than the BC Liberals were in either of the nearly 2 decades they were holding power.  16 years in charge and what a mess.....

Prior to the last provincial election in 2013, the Business Council of British Columbia released a study called "A Decade by Decade Review of British Columbia's Economic Performance." It compared the economic indicators of the three decades governed respectively by the Social Credit Party, the NDP and the B.C. Liberals. The result is that by certain measures the NDP of the '90s actually had the best economic performance.

Here are the conclusions of the study:

GDP growth: The Social Credit decade had an average growth rate of 2.12 per cent, the the Liberals 2.36 per cent and the NDP 2.72 per cent. The NDP decade is the best of the three.

Job creation: Under the Liberals jobs grew by 1.58 per cent, under the Social Credit Party 1.91 per cent and under the NDP by 2.17 per cent. The NDP decade also had better performance.

Unemployment: Social Credit had an average rate of 11.48 per cent, NDP 8.87 per cent and the Liberals 6.63 per cent. The Liberals scored.

Business investment (non-private residential investment): As regards non-private residential investment, the Social Credit growth was 0.81 per cent, NDP got three per cent and the Liberals had 5.53 per cent.

Export: B.C.'s exports remained generally unchanged over the past three decades, fluctuating between 42 and 43 per cent of the GDP. However, the study notes that the NDP's decade in power had the strongest export performance, whereas the Liberals' had the weakest.

The Liberals' so-called "Lost Decade" is contrary to the facts.

For the above five economic indicators, the NDP's governing decade recorded the best performance on three counts: economic growth, job creation and (arguably) exports, whereas the Liberals were better in business investment (non-private residential investment) and unemployment.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/gabriel-yiu/bc-ndp-lost-decade_b_16252392.html

First of all I never said I support the Liberals so I don't know where you got that from. I remember listening to Bill Good asking Glenn Clark why he felt he had to lie to us about a balanced budget just prior to an election he ended up winning. I think the NDP are scumbags and are thew worst party to vote for based on truthefulness. We can agree to disagree on ranking the parties but I'm a small business owner and the NDP doesn't support us they support the public sector and pander to the unions and have a problem with the truth

On 5/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, Sbriggs said:

First of all I never said I support the Liberals so I don't know where you got that from. I remember listening to Bill Good asking Glenn Clark why he felt he had to lie to us about a balanced budget just prior to an election he ended up winning. I think the NDP are scumbags and are thew worst party to vote for based on truthefulness. We can agree to disagree on ranking the parties but I'm a small business owner and the NDP doesn't support us they support the public sector and pander to the unions and have a problem with the truth

I also am a small business owner and I look at numbers to justify my opinion of a governing party.

By the numbers, the BC NDP are and have been a far better party than the BC Liberals.  This does not in any way shape or form suggest you support them, but much like the feds they are one of only 2 parties we've ever had

• RoughGame 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, stawns said:

I honestly don't know many people who don't like him

Most people I’ve talked to about him, like the guy but hate the party.  
He comes off as intelligent and compassionate. 
He also represents a party of potatoes that has a horrible track record while in power.  

12 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Most people I’ve talked to about him, like the guy but hate the party.  
He comes off as intelligent and compassionate. 
He also represents a party of potatoes that has a horrible track record while in power.  

Isn’t it easy to be likeable when all you do is promise handouts with no serious plan on how to pay for them.? No dif for the Liberals or the CPC. People don’t vote for responsibility.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:39 PM, Sbriggs said:

I don't care about what the Liberals did I just remember Clark should have been put in prison but ended up with a six figure job with Jimmy Patersson

Those Fast Ferries were a joke and should have never been built it was buddying up with Unions for votes. Nothing you can say gets any support from me for the NDP period

Pattison's pencil is too sharp to be paying Glen Clark 6 figures. 

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Hard to see how censorship is ever a good idea.  Starts off as hate speech but in 10, 20 years it can evolve and "hate" speech can mean something completely different then it does today.

but hasn't that been a good thing for our society? what things now classified as hate speech from decades ago did we need to protect? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but hasn't that been a good thing for our society? what things now classified as hate speech from decades ago did we need to protect? 

It's good that society has progressed to be more inclusive but the government telling us somethings we say are now punishable isn't great.  I'm worried that this law can slowly snowball over the years and get to the point where criticizing the government online is illegal.  Doubt it will happen, but we're opening the door to more censorship.