The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Wilson fined $5000... wait, what!?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, mll said:

That's probably fitting for that part independent of his history and everything else that happened after, but in light of slamming Panarin to the ice? Extremely dangerous play, and he's strong enough to be able to just contain Panarin there.

If there was another announcement, I think they would have posted at the same time. So I don't think one is coming. It's not a good look. I get that it's maybe hard to call that more than the usual wrestling by the rule book, but still a terrible take that could have ended very badly.

Edited by elvis15

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Although I don't see it now, this is kind of pathetic and shows a lack of remorse and accountability too (if it, in fact, came from their page...someone retweeted it so it could be fake):

image.png

I saw multiple reports of this but can't confirm myself. Definitely tone deaf if they did.

A complete and total scumbag. He should be banned for life, but the scum that runs this league loves the violence he brings. They'll do whatever they can to look the other way. Here's hoping that someone relieves this piece of $&!# of his career on the ice, as that is seemingly the only option left.

• Cheers 2

Washington is supposed to play the Rangers tommorrow, hope the Rangers just forfit the game.

"We are out of the play off race, and I don't want my players injured by Tom Wilson, in a meaning less game"     Ranger G.M, cosigned by the owner.

Wilson could literally be a force in this league that few teams are equipped to handle - his combination of skill/size are something I haven't seen since Bert was in his prime (maybe not as skilled as Bert, but he's easily as tough) - instead he insists on making himself a complete liability to his teammates and his franchise sadly.

I agree, the fines allowable for pretty much every offense in the NHL are a complete joke - but that's not on the DOPS - that's on the NHL BOG/NHLPA who negotiated said fines in the last CBA.  If the NHL BOG/NHLPA wanted to take steps to make more meaningful fines to better deter these types of indiscretions they could do it very easily - the NHLPA just has to agree to it as it would be their members who lose the money.  Suspensions on the other hand, that IS on DOPS and I agree with many that this needs re-examining. 

• Upvote 1

A $5,000 fine?  Are you kidding me?  Like WTF!  Wilson is a multiple repeat offender with unnecessarily violent actions (usually not even during play) that injure people and he gets a $5K fine?  Officiating and supplementary discipline in the NHL is a complete joke!  Certain teams and certain players are definitely favoured over others.  And for some reason the NHL just loves Wilson and the Capitals and do everything they can to justify his goonery.  I still like hockey but I have very little respect left for the NHL and how they run their league.  They are putting all their effort selling random violence to people who don't care about hockey.  The NHL is looking more and more like pro wrestling every day.  And yes wrestling used to be a real sport before American marketing got a hold of it.  Yes hockey is a tough game, and those of us who like it, like it that way, but the NHL doesn't seem to care at all about hockey these days, only money that they make by promoting random violence.  Shame on you NHL.  Again.  

Go Canucks Go!

P.S. - The NHL really needs to stop with the stupid fines.  They mean absolutely nothing other than pretending that they are doing something to address the issue.  It's just more BS from a league that is full of it.

Edited by nux_win
P.S.

11 minutes ago, Bell said:

That must be a fake twitter account.  No way in hell he only gets a fine for that.  That was as dangerous as Bert's punch on Moore.

That's my issue with it, where that's not even a usual thing that happens in a scrum and had the potential to end very badly. It also falls in line with the Burtuzzi/Moore incident in that it's basically roughing, except Panarin is basically willing to engage.

So, what else can you put this under but roughing? And what's the precedent for suspending a player so that you can make it stick and he doesn't challenge it? We all agree it's dangerous and more than just part of hockey, and Wilson was seeing red for some reason and went off his rocker as a result. The thing with comparing it to something like Edler's recent suspension is it doesn't have that base of reference like a hit to the head or kneeing penalty so it's not a one for one.

NHLPS really needed to make a statement on this one though, something that had consequences directly related to the Panarin part of it. They pretty much wiffed on that one though, and lost the chance to have something they can look to when Wilson or someone else does it again.

I bet the NHL really struggled and did their best to try to penalize Panarin and Buchnevich.... 

Is that clown colin cambell still involved? Parros has obviously taken too many of Ryper's punches to the head over his career to know what the hell is going on.  Guess it is going to have to take someone dying, or more likely, a gigantic lawsuit for for the NHL to totally gut the player safety committee and start over as they should. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Upvote 1

Not surprised by this at all. Just look at the track record the DOS has had. Shanahan,Pronger,Stevens and Parros. None of these guys were saints when they played and none of them have any brain cells left to make a logical call. It’s not by mistake, the NHL wants to keep it that way.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Vintage 2