The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Wilson fined $5000... wait, what!?

Rate this topic

Imagine if Wilson slammed Petey like that. I imagine some pushing, maybe a punch or two, but no real threat of payback. You don't play in the NHL unless your tough. Our guys are all tough guys. But we need a tough guy that means business and is scary enough to pound a guy like Wilson. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I couldn't have said it any better. The league needs to hire NHL All-Star MVP John Scott to be the head of NHL's Department of Player Safety.

Parros needs to be fired.

$5.000? WTF???

I bet if Wilson was a Canuck, that's a 20 game ban.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, rekker said:

Imagine if Wilson slammed Petey like that. I imagine some pushing, maybe a punch or two, but no real threat of payback. You don't play in the NHL unless your tough. Our guys are all tough guys. But we need a tough guy that means business and is scary enough to pound a guy like Wilson. 

Wilson has anger issues and having a tough guy just for a madman like Wilson seems like a waste of roster.

I think it's on the NHL. Ban Wilson for the playoffs and 20-30 games to send a clear message that such behaviour is not acceptable.

Let's be honest. The Matheson throwdown was BAD. That warranted a suspension.

However,

WHAT THE &^@#? ONLY a 5,000 fine?

Very very very dangerous. Wilson needs a season + playoff ban.

Edited by Dazzle

6 minutes ago, khay said:

$5.000? WTF???

I bet if Wilson was a Canuck, that's a 20 game ban.

don't forget Hamonic got a game misconduct for 'instigating' a fight meanwhile wilson got 10mins game misconduct and still scores the empty netter...  I blame it on the refs as much as NHL.

• Vintage 4

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Wilson has anger issues and having a tough guy just for a madman like Wilson seems like a waste of roster.

I think it's on the NHL. Ban Wilson for the playoffs and 20-30 games to send a clear message that such behaviour is not acceptable.

Not just for Wilson. The Canucks, as they have been for years, are basically defenseless. The NHL is no help, never have been, never will. Apparently you can slam a helmet less superstars head onto the ice. The NHL was absolutely fine with it. Think about that for a monent. It's up to teams and players to defend themselves and the Canucks are defenseless 

For me the big deal here is that it's always Tom Wilson doing stuff like this....

Even if you think this particular incident wasn't so egregious (as DoPS apparently does) the fact that he's done similar things so many times, should factor into it. The guy is dangerous and if I'm the Rags, I'm signing a goon at the earliest opportunity and sending him out there to deal with Wilson.

"We'll pay the fine and reimburse any lost wages....just make him pay, because the NHL refuses to do so"....

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, mordekai said:

don't forget Hamonic got a game misconduct for 'instigating' a fight meanwhile wilson got 10mins game misconduct and still scores the empty netter...  I blame it on the refs as much as NHL.

Yes, the refs are an issue for sure. So inconsistent and to make it worse they have their favorite teams. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Very good point. The NHL is a failure of a league on two fronts. The DoPS is an abjectly inconsistent mess of a department being presently run by a thug. The officiating staff, as you have succinctly mentioned are even more culpable, as they are the first line of defense against this overt violence that has no place in the game. They continue to fail miserably at their jobs and are propped up by the pimps that run the league. If these officials really cared about the safety of the players, they'd call things consistently and penalize those who show flagrant disregard for other players. Thing is the NHL officiating staff are an archaic old boys club who's fragile egos dictate their decisions, not common sense or any semblance of morals or principles. 

Solid clean hits, physical play, and fighting are wired into North American hockey's DNA and always will be. Most players play within the parameters of decency and respect their fellow players. Most that cross the line and are properly dealt with don't re-offend because they see the error of their ways. Sociopaths like Wilson and Marchand are revered and supported by the league and their handlers. Until a player succumbs to injuries sustained from an incident like the one that Wilson created, nothing will change. 

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Very good point. The NHL is a failure of a league on two fronts. The DoPS is an abjectly inconsistent mess of a department being presently run by a thug. The officiating staff, as you have succinctly mentioned are even more culpable, as they are the first line of defense against this overt violence that has no place in the game. They continue to fail miserably at their jobs and are propped up by the pimps that run the league. If these officials really cared about the safety of the players, they'd call things consistently and penalize those who show flagrant disregard for other players. Thing is the NHL officiating staff are an archaic old boys club who's fragile egos dictate their decisions, not common sense or any semblance of morals or principles. 

Solid clean hits, physical play, and fighting are wired into North American hockey's DNA and always will be. Most players play within the parameters of decency and respect their fellow players. Most that cross the line and are properly dealt with don't re-offend because they see the error of their ways. Sociopaths like Wilson and Marchand are revered and supported by the league and their handlers. Until a player succumbs to injuries sustained from an incident like the one that Wilson created, nothing will change. 

Correct me if I am wrong but I think if the refs called a match penalty for wilson (don't forget he also taunted at the box) then NHL can easily give him a suspension. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, mordekai said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I think if the refs called a match penalty for wilson (don't forget he also taunted at the box) then NHL can easily give him a suspension. 

I guess they figured he'd miss that $5,000 more...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Wow, $5,000 fine for a play that could be defined as assault? There needs to be a call for Parros to step down. Wilson needs the Torres treatment.

5 hours ago, flat land fish said:

The play on buchnevich was disgusting and incredibly dangerous and it prompts just a $5000 fine?

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

A $5,000 fine?  

35 minutes ago, khay said:

$5.000? WTF???

31 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

WHAT THE &^@#? ONLY a 5,000 fine?

I absolutely agree with everyone - the $5000 fine is a joke and makes a mockery of the situation not to mention it is absolutely NO deterrent (financially) to any of these wealthy players. 

That said, I think it's important to clarify - George Parros fined Wilson the maximum amount given the situation as it is defined under the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement.  He couldn't fine Wilson any more even if he wanted to because doing so would immediately result in the NHLPA filing a grievance against the NHL and they would win no questions asked - it's clear black/white contract law. 

If we have an issue, and I suspect most people do, with the amount of the fines that the NHL is able to impose on players then the issue lies with the NHL Board of Governers and the NHLPA who are the parties who agreed on the aforementioned amount of $5000 being the maximum for this type of infraction. 

I would like to see both the NHL BOG and the NHLPA take a hard-line stance against this type of garbage in the game and agree in the next round of collective bargaining to astronomically increase both the maximum fines permissible on players for violations of the rules of the game as well as the ability to impose harsh minimum suspensions on players - this in my view is the only way the NHL rids itself of this type of BS.  I suspect however, that the NHLPA is in no hurry to see it's own members face astronomical financial fines and lengthy suspensions even if it means its own members are at risk at the hands of morons like Wilson. 

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I absolutely agree with everyone - the $5000 fine is a joke and makes a mockery of the situation not to mention it is absolutely NO deterrent (financially) to any of these wealthy players. 

That said, I think it's important to clarify - George Parros fined Wilson the maximum amount given the situation as it is defined under the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement.  He couldn't fine Wilson any more even if he wanted to because doing so would immediately result in the NHLPA filing a grievance against the NHL and they would win no questions asked - it's clear black/white contract law. 

If we have an issue, and I suspect most people do, with the amount of the fines that the NHL is able to impose on players then the issue lies with the NHL Board of Governers and the NHLPA who are the parties who agreed on the aforementioned amount of $5000 being the maximum for this type of infraction. 

I would like to see both the NHL BOG and the NHLPA take a hard-line stance against this type of garbage in the game and agree in the next round of collective bargaining to astronomically increase both the maximum fines permissible on players for violations of the rules of the game as well as the ability to impose harsh minimum suspensions on players - this in my view is the only way the NHL rids itself of this type of BS.  I suspect however, that the NHLPA is in no hurry to see it's own members face astronomical financial fines and lengthy suspensions even if it means its own members are at risk at the hands of morons like Wilson. 

The NHLPA is as much of a joke as the DoPS. 

• Upvote 1

Someone said it in the GDT yesterday when responding to a post that asked " what's the fine for attempted murder"....they wrote "$5000"

Well done whoever that was, sorry can't remember, but you obviously know the NHL.

What a sick joke. That man could have really hurt someone and coupled with that he has a history of these type of actions, not adding a big suspension to that measly fine is a crime. 

We have this amazing sport that actually allows bare knuckle fighting. One day that will go away due to this type of crap. No honour, no respect, shame on you Wilson. 

Wilson's going to cause injury to someone in the future based on this trajectory. The $5000 fine definitely pushes it into that direction too. 

That guy is acting like a gorilla without a brain. Punches the head of someone already down on the ground. Throws a smackdown on a Panarin who came to challenge him. Goes into the penalty box and still taunts the other team. 

Edited by Drakrami

This is somewhat similar to the Bertuzzi incident and this could of easily ended up with a bad ending, luckily it didn't. Are they really so far apart that this incident warrants no suspension, and Bertuzzi has the book thrown at him. Add to this Wilson's extensive record and the modern rules of more protection and this seems even more of a ball drop by the NHL. The NHL turns my stomach at times.

• Thanks 1