Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

For all the folks around here that hate the 'foundation'....

 

when was the last time you saw McDavid run wild over us like that?

 

That didn't really happen when this team has/had Tanev, Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Dorsett, etc in the lineup....

 

This team has done a very good job of limiting him in general....until of course, he gets an opportunity to face a lineup with 7 or 8 replacement players in the lineup.

 

3 centers down presently - leaving an utterly exhausted M.A.S.H. group attempting to harm-reduce.

 

Which is why I don't go particularly fishbowl over games like last night.

McDavid has 39 points in 27 career games vs the Canucks. Doesn't look like we've had much luck stopping him over his career vs the Canucks so far?

 

But yea, they'll do better than the collection of garbage currently in the lineup. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in torn situation of being sick of seeing them lose and look so empty and gassed, but also not wanting to wait for five months to see them play again. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slegr said:

I’m in torn situation of being sick of seeing them lose and look so empty and gassed, but also not wanting to wait for five months to see them play again. 

Same here, watching them lose sucks, but then at least it's Canucks hockey.  I don't even get mad anymore when we get scored on or lose, not like I did earlier in the season. They're out of it and just trying to get through the games. Looking forward to the Draft.    

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SNuck changed the title to [GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION
2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Same here, watching them lose sucks, but then at least it's Canucks hockey.  I don't even get mad anymore when we get scored on or lose, not like I did earlier in the season. They're out of it and just trying to get through the games. Looking forward to the Draft.    

Never good to want to lose to the Oilers.  I don't give a rats ass about 'draft position'.  But then again, I'm an irrational fan (could never get into the 'tank brigade' as such).

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Never good to want to lose to the Oilers.  I don't give a rats ass about 'draft position'.  But then again, I'm an irrational fan (could never get into the 'tank brigade' as such).

You mean to tell me you dont want to watch embarrassment on ice for the chance to draft the next Jake Virtanen?

 

Irrational indeed.

  • Haha 3
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

McDavid has 39 points in 27 career games vs the Canucks. Doesn't look like we've had much luck stopping him over his career vs the Canucks so far?

 

But yea, they'll do better than the collection of garbage currently in the lineup. 

what's cole cassels up to these days?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tas said:

what's cole cassels up to these days?

6 of last 8 years in the AHL

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Never good to want to lose to the Oilers.  I don't give a rats ass about 'draft position'.  But then again, I'm an irrational fan (could never get into the 'tank brigade' as such).

No Canucks fan wants to lose to the Oilers. I'm just not mad about the losses at this point in this horrendous season. Too much stacked against them this season, looking forward to the future.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Just put us out of our misery already. :sadno:

I put myself out a few weeks ago and advise all people to do same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

suicide GIF

No, no. I packed it in and started going outside in the sun and doing summer things. Hockey is now an afterthought until the fall. Liberation ... catch it!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Expecting more of the same. At least they are trying hard to win.  What more can we really ask of them?

GCG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree. The bottom 6 guys do a good job of keeping the opponent's best players in check in general. Other team's spare parts (Boyd, Vesey, etc) clearly don't eat up the tough minutes very well like Beagle, Motte, etc.

 

And we will need to replace two centers Sutter (UFA) and Beagle(likely LTIR) for next season. That will be a tough task.

 

Although I'm also not worried about the games like last night or even previous games against Toronto and Sens, the concerning thing is that the team has always been outshot and out-chanced even with full lineup.

 

As serviceable as they have been, if we can upgrade on some of these "foundational" players, we should upgrade.

 

 

 

 

I personally think that we will extend Sutter, probably just for a 1 year deal. I'm hoping around 1.75 million cap hit. I think he's worth that right now and that its a fair deal for both sides.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont even care that they are getting run over by good teams. The roster, even when healthy, just isnt good enough under this GM.

 

He has built the team the wrong way outside of drafting a good core. But other than Petterssen and Demko, which of those players were not considered consensus picks where they were taken? Boeser, no brainer. Hughes, no brainer. Podkolzin, no brainer. Add in the Juolevi and Virtanen misses and really its not godly drafting, its good drafting.

 

It just looks godly because of Gillis and Nonis.

 

We would miss nothing about Benning if he was fired. Even his drafting. Because when you are getting this many top picks because your team sucks, a GM should be expected to draft some good players out of that. Benning has done ok in later rounds but he has also squandered a lot of those players to get little in return that can help the team win. Whats the point of drafting well if you lose those guys that could be good supporting players for nothing?

 

The Canucks cant rely only on drafting to turn the corner with this core. They need a GM that can surround that core in the next two years with the right players to open a competitive window. Based on his history, that guy is not Benning.

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I personally think that we will extend Sutter, probably just for a 1 year deal. I'm hoping around 1.75 million cap hit. I think he's worth that right now and that its a fair deal for both sides.

He will likely extend Sutter. And on the right contract thats fine by me. But nothing in his MO suggests he will ask Sutter to sign for 1 year at 1.75. Probably 3 years at 3 mil at the absolute lowest. I expect 2 years, 4 mil per for Edler at the lowest. Both with trade protection too.

 

I really hope I am wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

No, no. I packed it in and started going outside in the sun and doing summer things. Hockey is now an afterthought until the fall. Liberation ... catch it!

liberation - does that make you a libertarian?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...