The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

A lot of players would go through the wall for a guy like Rod. They know what he was as a player, a captain and a leader. Deep respect for a guy like that. Before he even coaches his first practice, the team is 10% better just on alpha-toughness and accountability. You can't put a value on something like that. Carolina can't possibly let him walk. 

nah I can't see it. He'd have the pick of a number of teams too. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Yes, they will have to change their name within about 10 years. How about the "Edmonton Windmills" !!

Edmonton Environment? just doesn't have the creditability just yet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I couldn't care less what you're tired of - nor do I care about 'excuses'.  I don't need to make excuses - I'm not accountable - I look at reality and context and make assessments based on those - not puffed up chests with delusions that pretentions, expectations,and thumping it will produce results.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I mostly agree with it, although Brown and Baumer have proven during their entire tenure here that they are woefully unqualified to coach at any level.  While the circumstances have certainly been extenuating, having those two clowns sabotage the team has not been beneficial.  While Green himself is a fine coach, his refusal to hold his incompetent assistants accountable and replace them  with actual coaches should be reviewed long and hard.  Benning's set the team up pretty well to contend in a non-Covid season at least, especially with the young studs he's drafted.

you're the king of dramatically overstating / embellishing your case Heffy.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Little appetite-whetter before the game... hilites of the Sweden - USA Junior match that JB is watching

The best players in this game were Fabian Lysell, who's built like a slightly lighter Hoglander, but might be faster, and the goalie Lindbaum, who held Sweden in the game early.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'd hard pass on Lombardi.

I like Gallant - but I also like Green - and I love that he's come up through our ranks and earned it - for me that's not compelling enough to make the change.

yeah I'm split on Lombardi, I do like what he assembled in LA, but some of those contracts, yikes. 

I'm really curious what Gallant would be able to do with this roster, I don't know what the reasons were for being let go from Vegas but I sure like what he got out of that initial group. 

Honestly I'd just like to see Green with a better, or maybe the right word is veteran?, assistant staff. A defensive coach with as many games played as Green himself e.g., a guy like Willie Mitchell who can get the most out of a d group. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I'm split on Lombardi, I do like what he assembled in LA, but some of those contracts, yikes. 

I'm really curious what Gallant would be able to do with this roster, I don't know what the reasons were for being let go from Vegas but I sure like what he got out of that initial group. 

Honestly I'd just like to see Green with a better, or maybe the right word is veteran?, assistant staff. A defensive coach with as many games played as Green himself e.g., a guy like Willie Mitchell who can get the most out of a d group. 

The right word is better.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The right word is better.

could be. I just always like Mitchell's leadership style, seems like a guy who players would follow and he'd also know how to run a group. Don't know if he's ever been interested in that kind of role tho. 

Yikes. This game-day thread is all over the place.. sad to see our boys floundering and barely any talk about the upcoming game!

I'm currently in the middle of of moving into my first house, so haven't been able to keep up and finally had shaw connected today, just in time for the game!

Updates people... how has Lind looked?!?! 

When is Rathbone getting in?

Jonah still in quarantine? 

Thanks guys and go Nucks baby! 

6 minutes ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Yikes. This game-day thread is all over the place.. sad to see our boys floundering and barely any talk about the upcoming game!

I'm currently in the middle of of moving into my first house, so haven't been able to keep up and finally had shaw connected today, just in time for the game!

Green mentioned there is a chance Rathbone may play at some point.

Gadjovich flew to Winnipeg to start his quarantine and will join the Canucks once they arrive there next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

could be. I just always like Mitchell's leadership style, seems like a guy who players would follow and he'd also know how to run a group. Don't know if he's ever been interested in that kind of role tho. 

Same. He's a proven winner of two Stanley Cups, who's played with poise, skill, and physicality. A true leader. He'd be a boon as a defensive coach if that was his choice.

Baumgartner was a plug defenseman at his best, and that same average plug mentality has defined his capability as a coach. 

I think Mitchell is enjoying his retirement from the game too much to bother returning. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Virtanen The Great said:

you might want to look through canucks talk. virtanen had some bad news.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Green mentioned there is a chance Rathbone may play at some point.

Gadjovich flew to Winnipeg to start his quarantine and will join the Canucks once they arrive there next weekend.

Thanks Vintage, as per tradition, you are the best! 

But why call up Rathbone if he's not going to get some game action. Has only been able to play in a handful of games this year. I get they want him to practice with the big team. But that could hinder his development.

I was also upset how they did that with Mikey D this year as well. These kids need to play.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Yeah i unfortunately saw that, was debating a name change for so long. But I guess nows a good time as any..

Too bad, I really had some big aspirations for Jake. We all wanted to him succeed being a local boy. It has been so tough to see him look so disengaged. 

53 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Agree. The straw that broke the camels back for me was not being able to re-sign Tofoli. 

When we traded for Tof, I was on these boards saying stuff like “leave it to Jim, he has a plan. He’ll find a way to bring Tyler back for 2021.” 

Ever since then, I’ve taken a harder look at what Jim is bringing to the table and I’m not liking what I am seeing.:sadno:

He did have a plan. Covid undid that plan, same as it did for many teams in this league. 2 weeks before he traded for Toffoli, they had been told in the GM's meeting, to expect a 3.5 - 4 million increase on the cap for the coming season. That is not something that any GM can fairly be held accountable for.

The flat cap made it pretty much impossible to do traditional trades and move out salary as, suddenly, many contracts around the league were overpriced based on current market numbers. Only in a flat cap, do you get Hamonic for 1.25 million.

54 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Why look outside?  We have our own home-grown talent under our noses .....

Lukas Jasek.... 6'1" and 184 lbs

This season:  21 games played  ... 3 goals ... 15 assists ... centers Utica's rop line with Anas (St L prize prospect) and Baertschi

AHL career: 146 GP  29G, 52A. 81 Points.... career +9 ... 56 PIM ... 6PPG, 2SHG ... versatile,  can play Center (his preference) or either wing

I was laughing at them on the TV last night, saying that the Canucks don't have depth in prospects. It's not that we don't have depth, it's that in a pandemic, with the border closed, we can't just freely recall guys and send them back 3 or 4 days later. You have to quarantine them on both sides of the border before they can join their team.

• Like 1