The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

and the year before that, and the year before that. 

People seem to forget that had the NHL not been shut down we most likely wouldn't have made that playoff appearance. We were gifted a round robin qualifier with MN despite being out of the playoff picture and made the most of it. Congrats to the boys and all that but my point is you cant blame COVID disruptions for the dismal showing this season without also acknowledging COVID disruptions is what led to our playoff berth last year. 

Canucks were actually in 7th in the west by the shutdown with games at hand on the teams behind them. They were trending down after Marky got injured but they weren’t necessarily out of it. 

Edited by Petey40

3 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

and the year before that, and the year before that. 

People seem to forget that had the NHL not been shut down we most likely wouldn't have made that playoff appearance. We were gifted a round robin qualifier with MN despite being out of the playoff picture and made the most of it. Congrats to the boys and all that but my point is you cant blame COVID disruptions for the dismal showing this season without also acknowledging COVID disruptions is what led to our playoff berth last year. 

finishing 17th in the season point% wise and 7th in our division, tell me oh great captain of the past. what position is the cut off line again?

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not sure yet another rookie NHL head coach is the way to go.  But maybe three times the charm?  Could always blame the hiring on Linden again if it doesn't work out.:o

It's definitely NOT the way to go. That's just a speculation and I believe we need a veteran NHL coach who knows how to take our elite players to the next level.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They both got 12 minutes of ice time.  That's not bad at all. 

But Green must have lost confidence in Rathbone .....

1st Period:  6.57 mins

2nd Period: 3.16 mins

3rd Period:  1.51 mins

At least he was more consistent with Lind

4:10, 4:43, 3:16

Just now, Googlie said:

1st Period:  6.57 mins

2nd Period: 3.16 mins

3rd Period:  1.51 mins

No he sounded very happy with Rathbone in the post-game conference.  He complemented many parts of his game.  

I was really impressed by him and Lind.  Maybe it's because I've already resigned to the no-playoffs a while ago, but I didn't mind our game tonight at all.  Young guys looked great. 

44 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

We've lost so much time. We should be better than this with our core roster at this stage of their careers. I've been saying Green needs to go since 2018, I just hope it isnt too late to salvage something from this stellar roster in the next couple of years. 

The I disagree with. The core roster sucked so much this season that whatever support any GM assembled is not going to change their fate. The young core is just not good enough right now. Heck they are a disaster outside of Boeser every couple of games.

Demko still adjusting to being a starter and for a stretch there before Covid seems to have it figured out.

Horvat is doing the D thing but barely having any production, not even a shadow of Kesler right now.

Miller and Hughes are turnover machines that would make Spezza Pizza blush.

Petey has been MIA and probably went back to his home planet for a visit or to avoid covid.

Those guys above need a lot of work over the summer if we are going to go anywhere with or without JB's self inflicted handicap.

4 minutes ago, 1-d said:

It's definitely NOT the way to go. That's just a speculation and I believe we need a veteran NHL coach who knows how to take our elite players to the next level.

I don't think it is a pure speculation given our string or rookie hires ever since Nonis was fired. (outside of the disastrous Torts season).

Heck maybe it is Tort's hire that made Aqua risk adverse to Veterans.

Edited by 24K PureCool

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

1st Period:  6.57 mins - Hail Mary

2nd Period: 3.16 mins - Sh!t, it’s not working

3rd Period:  1.51 mins - I need a new plan

Added some context.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

We sucked all season …. Pre covid 

We had a period there we were trending up, before covid. 

On a personal note, (after I survived covid 10 day coma) last week I had a mysterious pull of a shoulder muscle. It was an old rugby injury. But never hurt like that, ever before. Not making excuses, but one thing I know I went through was a very deep dehydration. I think the dehydration effected my shoulder ligament. F**#ing hell it felt like it was dislocated all over again. 

I think we're not done learning about the after effects of covid, especially with injuries. Normal aches and pains may be exacerbated. 

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So you missed Jack Rathbone's debut tonight.  He looked really good out there.  

Kole Lind's early steps too.  

The team was trying out there, just nothing left in the gas tank. 

Thanks for your comment. 

I am excited about him and Lind and Gadj and soon Podz.

Stoked to hear he played well. 

I think I was honestly hoping the Canucks would push to make the playoffs (Esp when Mtl was fizzling). 

Maybe I'm dealing with the disappointment right now and need to get out of this funk. Lol

This long change thing  -  is it cos our D zone is furthest from our benches for that 2nd period?

And if so, isn't it the same for the other team too - their D zone is furthest from their benches?

Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Thanks for your comment. 

I am excited about him and Lind and Gadj and soon Podz.

Stoked to hear he played well. 

I think I was honestly hoping the Canucks would push to make the playoffs (Esp when Mtl was fizzling). 

Maybe I'm dealing with the disappointment right now and need to get out of this funk. Lol

Hey I was feeling like you and missed the second Toronto game on Saturday there...  

Jump back in for next game, there was a lot of promise in the last game.