The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

We have 17 games this season where we scored 1 or less goals and have the worst GF in the entire division.

With how much we get out shot each game it is a miracle our goal diff is not worse and that is mostly due to Demko keep shutting out the door during our run in March/April.

Not saying our core sucks for eternity just that they severely under-performed this year.

it hasn't been the cores fault, you might want more than 10 goals out of your bottom 6, not including sutter, motte.

like i said demko, has played average for a starter. but enjoy your copium

Not surprised of this considering half our team are AHLers or waiver wire pickups and the other half are our regular NHLers who have been garbage all season long. 

If we're going to play AHLers can we at least play Juolevi and start sorting out our defence for next season? Want to see a rookie with an experienced guy on each pairing to end the season.

Clearly Covid and the Virtanen fiasco is taking its toll on the team, we are a sloppy mess just the way we were to start the season. I worry it's more than that though - some of this bad defending (and terrible no-look passes by Miller) have been there all year long. It's Green's job to smack it out of the players but he hasn't done that and they continue making stupid mistakes, but also the player's faults themselves.

A lot needs to change in the off-season, hopefully the players will rest and train well for a full regular season because if we miss the playoffs next year heads have to roll.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

We have 17 games this season where we scored 1 or less goals and have the worst GF in the entire division.

With how much we get out shot each game it is a miracle our goal diff is not worse and that is mostly due to Demko keep shutting out the door during our run in March/April.

Not saying our core sucks for eternity just that they severely under-performed this year.

and don't quote me because it's because we play on  a bad team because of demko's stats.

linus Ullmark Buffalo goalie has a .917% and a winning record.

bernier and griess both have better sv%

I thought Lind was good.  Rathbone looked ok.  Another small defenseman.  Everybodies is so excited to see these rookies play, myself I'd like to see Mac get a chance to play with Bo or Miller.  He's about the only guy they haven't had up there.  They could use somebody that goes to the net, is hard on the puck, hits and makes things happen.  The poor guy hasn't gotten off the 4th line while all these slugs get to show they can't play up there.  When Gad gets here it'll be interesting to see where he lands.  I don't get where Green gets this reputation for developing players.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

it hasn't been the cores fault, you might want more than 10 goals out of your bottom 6, not including sutter, motte.

like i said demko, has played average for a starter. but enjoy your copium

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

and don't quote me because it's because we play on  a bad team because of demko's stats.

Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I am smart enough to realize that no one is going to change anyone's opinion on a forum so we can agree to disagree.

From my point of view, the core players had made countless mistakes throughout the season that were not there for the most part last season and in the bubble. The core just stunk this season and getting a few more goals from the bottom six ain't gonna change their fate.

I'll leave with, enjoy your copium also.

44 minutes ago, Googlie said:

This long change thing  -  is it cos our D zone is furthest from our benches for that 2nd period?

And if so, isn't it the same for the other team too - their D zone is furthest from their benches?

Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. The long change tends to hurt us though as we have prolonged shifts played in our end and the opposing team is able to make line changes. As a result we end up with tired players out against fresh players more often than not. We do not get the prolonged pressure in the other team's zone to create the same issues for them.

• Thanks 1

I thought Rathbone was pretty good. Didn't play much towards the end of the game.

The skills are very evident. Skating, passing, hockey sense; all NHL level. Seemed a little unsure/nervous defensively at times. 

It's only his first game. Hopefully he'll get some more games & we'll see where he's at when he's more settled.

Not sure what he is yet but the skillset is clearly there.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Borderline Canuck said:

I thought Lind was good.  Rathbone looked ok.  Another small defenseman.  Everybodies is so excited to see these rookies play, myself I'd like to see Mac get a chance to play with Bo or Miller.  He's about the only guy they haven't had up there.  They could use somebody that goes to the net, is hard on the puck, hits and makes things happen.  The poor guy hasn't gotten off the 4th line while all these slugs get to show they can't play up there.  When Gad gets here it'll be interesting to see where he lands.  I don't get where Green gets this reputation for developing players.

I thought MacEwen was moving pretty well tonight, and last night for that matter. He's been better these last few games.

I hope they keep him around and give him another shot, need a big guy like that who can fight, & I think/hope he can be a more consistent player too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Anyone playing Toronto and mcdavid 8 times a year is gonna have a trash sv% none of the goalie for teams that don't play toronto edmonton 16 times are even in the top 20 for sv%. Put ullmark on the canucks he will have just as bad if not worse record. 4 of the top 10 scorers all in the same division all over ppg guy and mcdavid almost 2 points per game. No goalie is going to have great stats against them 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

ya  demko has been unreal this yr hes got a bunch of plugs and ahl rif raff that cant score  and  a porous defense with system breakdowns    theres a reason demko got  nhl player of the week in march  

13 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I am smart enough to realize that no one is going to change anyone's opinion on a forum so we can agree to disagree.

From my point of view, the core players had made countless mistakes throughout the season that were not there for the most part last season and in the bubble. The core just stunk this season and getting a few more goals from the bottom six ain't gonna change their fate.

I'll leave with, enjoy your copium also.

i count 7 games where 1 goal would have made a difference, you can't always count on the top line to score.

9 minutes ago, JMo2233 said:

I don’t expect this team to win too much with everything that’s happened to them, but the reaction, or lack there of, to larsons  hit on Hughes is a major concern

the elbow barely nicked him, and it wasn't some bone crushing hit.

Lind destroyed a edmonton player and no response either.

we trying to start a war?

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i count 7 games where 1 goal would have made a difference, you can't always count on the top line to score.

Say we get those 14 points, we still sit at 55 pts out of the playoffs at this moment. We ain't gonna win all of them in ot and so, so an additional 11 points to be fair leaving us with 52 pts with four games in hand with current cutoff at 57. Yeah our fate didn't change. 

11 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya  demko has been unreal this yr hes got a bunch of plugs and ahl rif raff that cant score  and  a porous defense with system breakdowns    theres a reason demko got  nhl player of the week in march  

and the rest of the year? how many player of the week awards?

remember luongo,roloson,mason had some great seasons with bad  teams.

demko has had a slightly better than average year for a starter.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Say we get those 14 points, we still sit at 55 pts out of the playoffs at this moment. We ain't gonna win all of them in ot and so, so an additional 11 points to be fair leaving us with 52 pts with four games in hand with current cutoff at 57. Yeah our fate didn't change. 

your right, my point was that you cant put all the blame on the core.

also it would be nice to have another 10 goals from ep40

Edited by Petey_BOI

The fact that people still, after all these years, can suggest goaltending is the problem in Vancouver actually boggles my mind.

Holtby and Demko have not been stellar but they have stolen some games for sure. 

The Canucks have relied on goalies to mask the other deficiencies of the team since Luongo and Schneider were here their last few years. 

Benning and Green probably only still have jobs because of goaltending fooling Aquilini into thinking his team is a contender.

• Cheers 1

This team has really no players that can take over games at will consistently.

Horvat and Pearson are streaky af. Miller gets points but is making a lot of bad miscues that cost goals. Same with Hughes.

This roster is just not very good. Not enough skill and talent. Too many middling aging vets that are either injured all the time or declining significantly but still getting too many minutes. And the systems and player usage are hot garbage.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Borderline Canuck said:

I thought Lind had by far his best game so far. He was noticeable for good reasons on nearly every shift. He handled the puck more confidently, made some nice passes that once he settles in and gets used to linemates will become good chances, he threw at least one heavy hit, picked a few pockets and was responsible defensively. I thought Rathbone looked good, confident with the puck, moves well, great skater and puck mover in the Hughes mold, but maybe better defensively. Both are definite keepers that should make the team this fall.

• Cheers 1