The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i am not blaming him, never had. im saying there is better goalies than demko, regardless of potential.

i am also saying the main culprit is offense, especially secondary scoring.

You said he hasn’t shown he can be consistent, which is absolutely not the case at all. Without Demko we are easily dead last behind Buffalo. 

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

he is also probably 31st in number of shots that are the least dangerous. the canucks also played better when demko was in net averaging something like 10% less shots against when he was in net.

stats are cool and you can make a story less bad or better by omitting other important stats. like if the nucks could actually hold onto the puck more often those stats you mentioned would naturally improve.

They were 31st in shots against but expected goals takes into account quality of shots.  The Canucks gave up the most slot shots and were also last in slot pass completion against.  That’s not perimetre saves.  

Sportlogiq is similar to SAP which is what teams use on the bench on the iPads.  They track the dots on the ice - puck and players.

CSA is even more elaborate.  They look at the full context of the play that leads to a shot on net like number of screens, passing plays, etc.  They have the historical conversion rate of any given play.  Demko was among the best goalies when taking environment into account.

Just now, Devron44 said:

I think we can all agree we didn’t expect to win much after the out-break no?

Why Does it come shock we are losing and why do we pummel the team into the ground with comments like the ones in this thread?

Look back at the comments when they were sick. A lot of sympathy, a lot of promises, a lot of no expectations.

Amazing 

I am not so sure....we may be able to get 80% agreement that we live on planet Earth, but that may be a stretch. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

NHL refereeing, no penalties called, but then they called one on the Oilers, kinda missed a call on the same play to the Canucks, then bam, the Oilers have a 5 on three. Three ticky tack calls either missed or blown, but, hey let's manage this game properly right?

It's not the refs fault that the Canucks can't score on a powerplay.   We had our chances

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. Juolevi is already showing he's going to be a rock-steady player. Add to that Lind, Rathbone, Gadjovich, and even a player like Jasek. And that's not even mentioning Podkolzin next year. Give these young guns a shot. There's at least 3 or 4 players that will become NHL regulars. 

Not forgetting Woo.  He and Rathbone sure looked awesome as a pairing in their short time together in Utica 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

The difference is that the player Lind destroyed was not McJesus, was a comparable size and it was a clean hit. Larson is a lot bigger than Hughes, his elbows were up, he targeted his head, and only thanks to QH's athletic ability was he not spending time in concussion protocol. Big Mac is on this team for a reason, and it's not his offensive skill. The fact that nobody made Larson answer the bell is unacceptable.

did you see John Scott yester with Ken Reid?

talking about Wilson, said, Rangers should goon Washington stars. not they should goon Wilson. 

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Blaming Demko for this team being garbage offensively and defensively.

LOL

Have you seen the sheer number of quality scoring chances the Canucks give up every game? 

Have you seen how often the forwards lose their man in the defensive zone for a tap in goal?

Have you seen the 5000 blind back passes that leave the goalies out to dry?

you are talking about Miller, right?

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

did you see John Scott yester with Ken Reid?

talking about Wilson, said, Rangers should goon Washington stars. not they should goon Wilson

Good luck trying to goon Wilson one-on-one.  Outside of a few guys in the league, he can take on anybody with relative ease.  That's why he plays the ways he does (and why he tends to get extra space on the ice & be more effective than otherwise).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

im pretty sure demko is going to get better, how much i don't know. i don't like arguing demko is only having a good year and not a great one

ullmark is only 18 months older than demko, if we compared there stats to when they were 1 year apart in age difference ullmark wins.

but i'm not going to pretend that demko is a elite goalie right now, he has all the tools to be one. but so far he has only shown he can string together a few weeks of dominace. yes this is a absurd year, but i would argue that our schedule is a lot easier on a goalie than a player. and our team is kinda poop soup, but is buffalos detroits or nj any different? the best goalies make the saves regardless of who's in front of them

and there is goalies who are the roughly the same age who have better records.

Shesterkin
Saros
Jarry

lets see what he can do next year, if he can get close to a .920 save percentage I would say he is in the discussion for top 10 in the league.

well, I don't know that this isn't a rough year on north division goalies tbh, they do have a harder time than Buffalo, even by the fact that Buffalo is facing one more team than we are which might be an advantage. Not sure how its easier on them than a dman e.g. 

Ullmark does have two more pro NHL seasons than Demko. 

You also have to consider the coaching style that allows more shots on Demko. 

I think its easy to argue Ullmark is a decent goalie, I don't know that you have the case to make that he's better than Demko given all the variances in what they've each dealt with this year. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wouldn't look at the fact that Rathbone didn't plus much in the 3rd as a benching at all to be honest with you...  he just rolled Hughes out a lot to try and get some goals.  I'm a big Rathbone fan too.  

I think our Power Play is looking PPathetic at the moment. Best we're hoping for is a slap shot from passes that allow opposing goalies to have an eternity to set up and don't get screened.  

Also to people bothered by Larsson's hit on Hughes, MacEwen was out on the ice with about 6 minutes left (unusual time to see him out there) and you could see on the corner of the screen that he went to Larsson and looked like he was talking to him/challenging him.  I would've liked to see Zack or someone else out there in the last minute and just show some pushback to the other team targeting your best player.  I'm not sure why Lind, Hoglander, Hawryluk and Highmore are the most physical forwards that we have at the moment, we can't blame it all on the coaching.  Graovac is the softest 6'5 guy I've seen since Taylor Pyatt. 

on a side note, what was Bo Horvat doing breaking up McD nd Highmore on Monday?

43 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I am not so sure....we may be able to get 80% agreement that we live on planet Earth, but that may be a stretch. 

https://www.space.com/spacex-starlink-25-satellite-mission-launch-rocket-landing

(The NASA  video clip is about 10 mins long, but I found it fascinating  - but then, I am such a nerd anyway)

Edited by Googlie

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

You said he hasn’t shown he can be consistent, which is absolutely not the case at all. Without Demko we are easily dead last behind Buffalo. 

demko has 15/29 games with a better save percentage of .911 the canucks won 12 of those games. 

holtby has 7/18 games with a better save percentage of .911 the canucks won 5 of those games. 

the canucks still lost 5 of those games. 5/17 games the canucks do not win because of lack of scoring due to no fault to the goalie.

the canucks have only won twice when the goalie has less than a .911 save percentage.

sometimes the offense has to bail out the goalie, and sometimes the goalie has to bail out the offense.

the canucks are ranked 26th in scoring this year once you factored gp. goal scoring is a more important stat than goaltending. you could have the best goalie in the league on your team but if your last place in scoring your still going to be near the bottom in points unless somehow the offense and goalie magically played thier bests at the same time.

every single division the top two teams have the most goals in their division

4/4 divisions with the bottom two teams with the exception of two teams ottawa and san jose are in the bottom of thier division and also scored the least amount of goals.