The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They also drafted not one but two elite, game changing players. 

Benning has drafted some gems in the later rounds but has also discarded a lot of them with littke to nothing to show for it that helps the roster now or in the future. The end result is the same as busting on those picks.

First overall and 3rd overall. Like a scratching a lottery ticket 

2 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I think they should put a sumo wrestler in the goal. He would fill it up!

One of my favourite childhood books (think grade 5), was written by the same gal who wrote James and the Giant Peach.  About the fattest kid in class who filled the net completely and became a hero of sorts.   

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i actually an wrong the oilers in 7 yrs have only drafted 2 players  outside the 1st round that have player nhl games benson and bear thats it 

Gotta add Ryan McLeod - 2nd rounder in 2018 - played last night

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

He did have a plan. Covid undid that plan, same as it did for many teams in this league. 2 weeks before he traded for Toffoli, they had been told in the GM's meeting, to expect a 3.5 - 4 million increase on the cap for the coming season. That is not something that any GM can fairly be held accountable for.

The flat cap made it pretty much impossible to do traditional trades and move out salary as, suddenly, many contracts around the league were overpriced based on current market numbers. Only in a flat cap, do you get Hamonic for 1.25 million.

Even before Covid it was pretty clear that the playoffs were a long shot. 

The plan was to sign Virt and let Tofoli walk. The plan was to run with a coaching staff that is not elite. 

I’m not complaining about Marky and Tanev as these moves were necessary. but Virt?

Did they not know what they had in this player?  

Every other GM in the league had to deal with the flat cap, some managed better than others.

Sadly, I have lost faith. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I think they should put a sumo wrestler in the goal. He would fill it up!

I’ve thought of this in the past :lol: What if an unusually large human being was discovered and put in goal to cover the entire net.

Hockey rules limit the size of goalie equipment, but there is no height or weight limit. The NHL altered the rules for Chara’s stuck based on factors out of his control (height). So, shouldn’t the NHL also alter its rules for a large goaltender in order to protect them with adequate coverage?

This means one of two things:

A. A massive sumo wrestler should not be excluded from playing goal in the NHL

or

B. Wtf there is no B. There shouldn’t even be an A. Damn, there really isn’t much to talk about in tonight’s game.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya. benning would  have even more elite players if he pickked 1st overal 3rd 4th  plus early 2nd3rds    best puck i think benning had is 6th overall in virtanen  we didnt have luxury of chance mcdavid  but still got boeser petey and hughes  plus  oilers  have had 4 player outside the 1st round play actually nhl games   

So the Oilers drafting is the bar to consider Benning a flawless drafter? Come on lol