The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

I think most of us would agree that any club name with either Abbotsford or Fraser Valley seems to be too long and awkward looking. Anyone remember The Abbotsford Heat? haha  

And just imagine the club name on the jersey starting under your right arm and ending under the left one :) 

Another possible problem could be if Canucks decide to change location of their AHL team. In this case the company name, logo, etc. would need to be changed as well.

At the same time there is no such problem with West Coast Express. As we all know, West Coast in Canada is the popular unofficial name of our province like Lower Mainland is unofficial name for Greater Vancouver/ Metro Vancouver. So saying West Coast Express is equal to saying "BC Express". Whatever city in the province Canucks would decide in future to relocate the AHL team to, the club name is going to fit anyway.

And using the state/province name for hockey club is quite common as with Colorado, Florida, New Jersey to name a few.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Using just 'Valley' (of Fraser Valley) would let them still incorporate a 'V' (like with Vancouver). 

'Valley Aviators' using that aviation Johnny Canuck with the 'V' works IMO.

vancouver_id_02.jpg

Maybe FV Aviators? FV stands for Fraser Valley (official) and for Flying V (unofficial).

Flying V Aviators sounds good to me!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Following my earlier comments... I was told that I did not explain properly meaning of the name of West Coast Express... I thought this was obvious but what do we know. Okay here we go:

West Coast Express (WCE) was name of the famous Canucks line of Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi, which played in the NHL between 2002 and 2006. This was a high scoring line considered to be one of the best in hockey during its tenure.

Calling the Canucks AHL club by the name of West Coast Express is about providing the brand new club with some honorable history, its connection to the millions of the Canucks fans. In my opinion, this is great idea from the marketing and promotion perspective. This is also about giving due respect to three outstanding players who represented our club so well for several years.

Just a little note: Since this name is not really related to railways, the club logo does not have to include some image of train. The logo could be Johnny Canuck, famous "skate in rink" or something else from the Canucks heritage. And players jersey could be in the same colours that the WCE line used to play.

naslundbertuzzimorrison.jpg

Man, I miss those three players in Canuck colours. So privileged to be able to see them play together. They were so good

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Following my earlier comments... I was told that I did not explain properly meaning of the name of West Coast Express... I thought this was obvious but what do we know. Okay here we go:

West Coast Express (WCE) was name of the famous Canucks line of Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi, which played in the NHL between 2002 and 2006. This was a high scoring line considered to be one of the best in hockey during its tenure.

Calling the Canucks AHL club by the name of West Coast Express is about providing the brand new club with some honorable history, its connection to the millions of the Canucks fans. In my opinion, this is great idea from the marketing and promotion perspective. This is also about giving due respect to three outstanding players who represented our club so well for several years.

Just a little note: Since this name is not really related to railways, the club logo does not have to include some image of train. The logo could be Johnny Canuck, famous "skate in rink" or something else from the Canucks heritage. And players jersey could be in the same colours that the WCE line used to play.

naslundbertuzzimorrison.jpg

I'm sorry, but how is west coast express not related to railways?

also your argument that abbotsford is too long but west coast isn't is interesting since it's the exact same number of characters (including the space) and would thus take up the exact same jersey real estate. 

I also suspect that, as someone pointed out previously, the existence of the coquitlam express would complicate things both legally and practically enough to make west coast express a non-starter as a name. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

I'm sorry, but how is west coast express not related to railways?

I also suspect that, as someone pointed out previously, the existence of the coquitlam express would complicate things both legally and practically enough to make west coast express a non-starter as a name. 

Unfortunately, you are right with the legal point. The trademark West Coast Express was registered for South Coast British Columbia Transportation Author on April 28, 2021.

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Unfortunately, you are right with the legal point. The trademark West Coast Express was registered for South Coast British Columbia Transportation Author on April 28, 2021.

I'm lost. you know west coast express is the name of a commuter train in the lower mainland that started operating in 1995 right? and that's why the canucks line got that nickname?

Edited by tas
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm lost. you know west coast express is the name of a commuter train in the lower mainland that started operating in 1995 right? and that's why the canucks line got that nickname?

As long as some name is not officially registered as trade mark, anyone may legally use it.

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, tas said:

The proposed logo with that name has a train, so I thought that was the reason for the name.  It’s a pretty cool logo though.  

22 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

As long as some name is not officially registered as trade mark, anyone may legally use it.

you can also use a mark for any classes the registered owner didn't cover, if it doesn't cause confusion. 

• Vintage 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:27 PM, DeNiro said:

Kinda lame no?

Sound like we’re just ripping off the Knights.

kinda lame, yes.

I like aviators, we. can use the old Jonny Canuck character who was an aviator comic. Could be done really well. 

• Cheers 1

"Abbotsford Arrows" has a nice ring to it as well - with aviation connections (the Avro Arrow .. putatively the most advanced fighter of its time) ... native Indian connotations  ..... regional, with the Arrow Lakes a few miles inland.  And I am sure Burr would approve, with that iconic image of him shooting an arrow skywards for his buddy, LB, after a goal.

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you can also use a mark for any classes the registered owner didn't cover, if it doesn't cause confusion. 

You are perfectly right! But the railway company has covered all basis with their trademark ;) The company bosses understand the power and benefits of a popular, nice looking and easy speaking business name!

Their registration includes Class 025 "Clothing, footwear, headgear", Class 028 "Games, toys and playthings, sporting articles", Class 035 "Advertising, marketing, promotional and business" among others. See the link below:

https://www.trademarkelite.com/canada/trademark/trademark-detail/926617/WEST-COAST-EXPRESS

Now we can only say that this train is gone hehe. 

• Thanks 1