The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

On 6/29/2021 at 1:04 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hope this is only the first deal that will lead to a much longer term deal.

If this coming season is lost (hope not) and Green is still playing the vets - a short trip might offer a better hockey with the chance to see the future.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

Personally watched a lot of Arseneau and really liked his game for the Comets. This is likely an AHL contract signed by RJ. Would not be surprised if he gets a look at training camp, as he provides a lot of physicality and edge. Very well liked as well by his teammates in Utica.

Considering that the Comets might end up losing Gadjovich to either the expansion for Seattle or graduate to the Canucks roster, the Abbotsford team would need some muscle and toughness. He has a good scoring touch too. The first addition to team Abbotsford, will be exciting who else is coming over.

Also important note according to the AHL rule, you can only have 5 veteran players (4 players playing above 320 pro games (NHL, AHL, European leagues) and 1 player between 261 and 320 pro games played). Vinny Arseneau has only had 135 pro games which certainly helps considering Utica ran into this issue in the 2019-2020 season. 

• Like 1

Canucks trying to get depth for down the middle - according to Dhaliwal Canucks are interested in signing Brett Kemp to an AHL deal. So it wouldn't be a formalized ELC deal but an ATO for Abbotsford.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/292550/brett-kemp

https://tigershockey.com/video/nhl-draft-profile-brett-kemp

He is a smart two-way forward with a deadly shot release and a knack for scoring important goals. Kemp has great vision and he is also versatile with the ability to play centre or wing.

This summer Kemp plans to work on all parts of his game emphasizing speed and strength as he believes speed is the biggest part of today’s game.

It is an AHL development rule: according to what I can see Canucks would project to have Carson Focht, Will Lockwood, Karel Plasek, Kole Lind(RFA), Jett Woo, Guillaume Brisebois(RFA), Mitch Ellot(RFA) as the only guys projected to meet this criteria. Barring any moves that brings Toni Utunen and Petrus Palmu over to NA, I expect some CHL players to be given tryouts and looks with Abbotsford to fill out the roster. I am unsure if Vinny Arseneau contributes to that number, I think he would.

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games.

Will definitely be interesting to see who fills out the roster for Abbotsford. 

The Comets unis of a couple of seasons ago  -  black with dark green neon hilites - were a huge hit with fans.  And other teams too .....  so much so tha the Dallas Stars adopted it for their 3rd Jersey

image.png.7e065be7711f070a520ce3e4481818f9.png

image.thumb.png.d7d3a4168cb7ea6b9e65744502529b96.png

On 6/29/2021 at 6:47 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

Hope this is only the first deal that will lead to a much longer term deal.

If this season coming season is lost (hope not) and Green is still playing the vets - a short trip might offer a better hockey with the chance to see the future.

Michaelis and Vesey double shifted. 

• Cheers 1

This will be an excellent option for Canucks fans, and I can see them selling out every game. Why not? Being able to see the prospects in games is a treat and it will be a lot cheaper than going to see the Canucks play in VAN.

Going to try and go to some of these and I'll probably follow the AHL team more closely, now that they'll be local soon. 

On 7/1/2021 at 2:00 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks trying to get depth for down the middle - according to Dhaliwal Canucks are interested in signing Brett Kemp to an AHL deal. So it wouldn't be a formalized ELC deal but an ATO for Abbotsford.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/292550/brett-kemp

https://tigershockey.com/video/nhl-draft-profile-brett-kemp

It is an AHL development rule: according to what I can see Canucks would project to have Carson Focht, Will Lockwood, Karel Plasek, Kole Lind(RFA), Jett Woo, Guillaume Brisebois(RFA), Mitch Ellot(RFA) as the only guys projected to meet this criteria. Barring any moves that brings Toni Utunen and Petrus Palmu over to NA, I expect some CHL players to be given tryouts and looks with Abbotsford to fill out the roster. I am unsure if Vinny Arseneau contributes to that number, I think he would.

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games.

Will definitely be interesting to see who fills out the roster for Abbotsford. 

Wonder if Ethan Keppen is part of the discussions?  I would love to see him signed to an AHL contract.  Described as "looking like a linebacker on skates" (paraphrasing Utica press).  There isn't too many of these type of players in the Canucks organization.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It's a bit confusing, but I guess awesome for those single guys on the AHL team being honest with the ladies when they say they play for the Canucks ^_^  Paycheque disagrees though.

Ah well, I'm very happy the Canucks are close to the Canucks... :blink:

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Too bad we couldn't use that lumberjack jersey. Those are cool. 

Definitely. I would love to see something different from them.

• Vintage 1