The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

On 7/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, DeNiro said:

So are they just going to go with the same uniforms then?

Seems like kind of lazy naming but oh well.

This is just speculation from the Abbotsford local newspaper based on someones registered the following web sites on May 5: abbycanucks.com, abbotsfordcanucks.com, abbotsfordaviators.com, abbotsfordaeros.com, abbotsfordmillionaires.com, fraservalleymillionaires.com, and fraservalleycanucks.com. This does not mean much ::D

Edited by Stierlitz

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Is this just because the agents realize that the Canucks have a lot of empty spots to fill on the team for next season??

Way easier to get to and from Abbotsford than Utica.  Way better winter weather.  It’s in Canada.  Could be a lot of career AHL guys, who have families, want to be on our side of the border.  

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's encouraging, hoping Johnson and co can capitalize on this 

One thing the Comets always seemed to struggle with was finding or maintaining quality center depth, it'd be nice if Abbotsford being a desirable location to play in helped mitigate that happening going forward 

Having quality centers will make the entire forward group better, and help better develop our wing prospects going forward 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

One thing the Comets always seemed to struggle with was finding or maintaining quality center depth, it'd be nice if Abbotsford being a desirable location to play in helped mitigate that happening going forward 

Having quality centers will make the entire forward group better, and help better develop our wing prospects going forward 

I'm sure that flying vs riding the bus for road trips is a positive in attracting potential players to fill the roster as well.

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm sure that flying vs riding the bus for road trips is a positive in attracting potential players to fill the roster as well.

No doubt, younger players will gut that out to chase hockey dreams, but riding bus isn't something I imagine pros would wanna do given a better option 

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

One time we had to send down a Center to the minors (Sam Gagner) that would be a quality center at the AHL level, Benning loaned him to the Toronto Marlies as a favor to Gagner (I think so he'd be closer to the family/relatives or something).  Gagner repaid the favor by bad mouthing Benning anyways.  So much for trying to help a guy out.  And he deserved to be demoted to the minors at the time as he was just half-assing it out there on the ice (imho).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

One time we had to send down a Center to the minors (Sam Gagner) that would be a quality center at the AHL level, Benning loaned him to the Toronto Marlies as a favor to Gagner (I think so he'd be closer to the family/relatives or something).  Gagner repaid the favor by bad mouthing Benning anyways.  So much for trying to help a guy out.  And he deserved to be demoted to the minors at the time as he was just half-assing it out there on the ice (imho).

If I remember correctly he played with the Marlies against Utica too didn't he? 

Yeah, it was a favour though, they tried to accommodate him the best they could 

It's a shame because Higgins took it in stride, and by all accounts was am absolute professional, and Baer's been a professional as well despite things not going the way he'd have liked with the Canucks organization 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

And Goldy.  I was always impressed the way Goldobin took his demotion.  Remained positive, did everything the coaching staff asked of him, formed a potent partnership with Baertschi and the parting of the ways with the Canucks organization was amicable.  But for an inexplicable unwillingness to commit to backchecking he could have been a potent career NHLer

I'd love for JB to ink Karlsson and Costmar to contracts and bring them over to Abbotsford.  Utunen and Zhukenov too.  It's time we developed more of our own prospects instead of recycling the Veseys, Boyds and Highmores, etc

• Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

And Goldy.  I was always impressed the way Goldobin took his demotion.  Remained positive, did everything the coaching staff asked of him, formed a potent partnership with Baertschi and the parting of the ways with the Canucks organization was amicable.  But for an inexplicable unwillingness to commit to backchecking he could have been a potent career NHLer

I'd love for JB to ink Karlsson and Costmar to contracts and bring them over to Abbotsford.  Utunen and Zhukenov too.  It's time we developed more of our own prospects instead of recycling the Veseys, Boyds and Highmores, etc

I have to agree with you about Goldobin. Russians get a lot of flack for an unwillingness to go to the AHL. Goldobin wasn’t one of those guys. He had such a great smile, I really wanted him to make it and be a star in the NHL. Alas, it wasn’t meant to be. He still had a good attitude even when he left the NHL and the Canucks particularly to go back to Russia to play in the KHL. I hope he’s doing well there. Wishing him nothing but the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

So the new team's name, logo and uniform are postponed until July 14. Sounds like solid management by GM Ryan Johnson lol

Oh please!

Not a big deal what so ever. I'm more concerned about the product put out on the ice for the upcoming season than the launch of the new team having to be re-scheduled for a few days later.

There are any number of things that might have caused a delay to their plans. I saw this many many times over the course of 45 years working in the trades. Jobs were scheduled to happen on a certain date well in advance but on occasion either parts or equipment needed for the job, were not available or had not yet arrived to the job site.

36 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

So the new team's name, logo and uniform are postponed until July 14. Sounds like solid management by GM Ryan Johnson lol

to be fair, we don't know the reason for the hold up. It could be a licensing issue, or maybe some other final legal detail that took longer than expected. 

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I agree, making sure everything is done properly is more important than just getting it done quickly.

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

45 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Oh please!

Not a big deal what so ever. I'm more concerned about the product put out on the ice for the upcoming season than the launch of the new team having to be re-scheduled for a few days later.

There are any number of things that might have caused a delay to their plans. I saw this many many times over the course of 45 years working in the trades. Jobs were scheduled to happen on a certain date well in advance but on occasion either parts or equipment needed for the job, were not available or had not yet arrived to the job site.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

to be fair, we don't know the reason for the hold up. It could be a licensing issue, or maybe some other final legal detail that took longer than expected. 

I'd rather roll it out when everything is in place. AHL hockey isn't going to suffer in Abbotsford because of a week delay in early July. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2