The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

I'm hoping there are now enough teams out west to keep most of the practice days the team had in Utica.

The team had liked the lower travel, extra practice days so please be almost the same.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Thank you Utica. Great fans. 

Now all our prospects will get ruined by over zealous fans, expecting every prospect to be gods. 

This is definitely the downside to having the team in the fanbase’s back yard. 

edit: I should clarify... there are positives as well lol. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Haha 1

Pro’s and Con’s.

Easier for the Canucks brass and staff to support the farm team and keep an eye on prospects.

They can leverage some efficiencies by sharing some resources.

We can save $1-2 million on the cap by only running with a 21 man roster most days since we can call a player up last minute a lot of times instead of carrying spares.

Fans can get engaged with the prospects and the point means it more accessible for families and an opportunity to create new Canucks fans.

Downside, more travel means less practice time.

Vancouver Giants are going to feel the pain of this badly.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I was hoping for the Okanagan but i just wanted to be able to see our prospects all the time haha

If Green, remains as HC; atleast, we can see them play rather than sitting in the press box learning from a far..

Whoa !!!!

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Pro’s and Con’s.

Easier for the Canucks brass and staff to support the farm team and keep an eye on prospects.

They can leverage some efficiencies by sharing some resources.

We can save $1-2 million on the cap by only running with a 21 man roster most days since we can call a player up last minute a lot of times instead of carrying spares.

Fans can get engaged with the prospects and are games.  Price point means more accessible for families and an opportunity to create new Canucks fans.

Downside, more travel means less practice time.

Vancouver Giants are going to feel the pain of this badly.

Another pro is that the AHL team gets used to the Canuck-like schedule/travel. Instead of jumping from an easier schedule/travel to our not as easy one. 

also, nice statement from esche. cool and interesting to read the specific call out to chris gear. makes you wonder if he's next in line when benning gets the axe.

edit: also, has anyone thrown aviators out there yet? it's gotta be the abbotsford aviators. 

Edited by tas
  • Vintage 3

It'll be hard to match the fan/community support that Utica has shown over the years, but I'm going to be open minded and think positively that it won't be a shiny new toy to Abby......until the shine wears off eventually.....

23 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

If Green, remains as HC; atleast, we can see them play rather than sitting in the press box learning from a far..

Whoa !!!!

I will probably make the trip down a few times to see them play.

If minor hockey ever has games and tournaments again i am usually down in abbotsford a lot. My kids team would love it.