The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

No , I really won't. Creating a program as a school project that auto posts Twitter is smart,  but kinda annoying 

create a better program then.

Let the man do his job.

• Hydration 3

Hopefully the city can use revenue to finally add to the highway....

Also add a road from King Road to Sumas Way (connects to highway) to make traffic easier near the round about. Solves the camps set up under that bridge by walmart

• Hydration 1
4 hours ago, tas said:

johnny canuck needs to fade back into obscurity. 

He's never been anywhere but.  I agree with Bitter Melon, it would be nice to finally see him front and centre somewhere in our history.  People need to finally see what a 'Canuck' really is.  It's not an orca or an empty hockey rink with a giant stick in the middle. It's a historical nickname for a Canadian, meant to rival the Americans' Uncle Sam.  They've never been shy about celebrating him, just like we shouldn't be shy about showing some pride in Johnny Canuck.  Time to slap him on the middle of one our jerseys!:gocan:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

Eh, I was hoping they'd stay in Utica, but I understand why some folks are excited. I liked those Comets jerseys, I wonder what we'll see going forward. 

Edited by Coconuts
37 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

He's never been anywhere but.  I agree with Bitter Melon, it would be nice to finally see him front and centre somewhere in our history.  People need to finally see what a 'Canuck' really is.  It's not an orca or an empty hockey rink with a giant stick in the middle. It's a historical nickname for a Canadian, meant to rival the Americans' Uncle Sam.  They've never been shy about celebrating him, just like we shouldn't be shy about showing some pride in Johnny Canuck.  Time to slap him on the middle of one our jerseys!:gocan:

nah, it really sucks. bury it, pretend it never existed. 

Posted (edited)

Good news all around. We get an affiliate closer to us, and the great fans in Utica still have a team. 

Edited by NaveJoseph
  • Hydration 1

Happened about 10 years later than it should have! AHL games cost about 1/8th as much as NHL games (for comparable seats) and can be fun to watch some of the prospects play. 

I moved to Toronto in 2015 and got to see the Comets play quite a bit. When I lived out in Langley it was awesome watching the Chicago Wolves in Abbotsford. So much easier than getting into Vancouver and way cheaper. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Easy there Vintage...apparently your timely posting of breaking tweets is annoying a certain poster. 

Back on topic...glad to see the Canucks relocate their AHL franchise to Abbotsford.  Hopefully the elected officials did not offer a sweetheart deal that tax payers will be on the hook to a billionaire (FA is about the last person who needs a handout).

Last note for VC - please keep doing what you do.  Speaking for myself and everyone not named cuporbust, I appreciate that you disseminate news as soon as they occur. 

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)

Some massively huge advantages

1, Players are nearby which makes the players feel they are being watched by the big team

2, The canuck position coaches will be able to work with the AHL players. (Ian Clarke, Chris Higgins)

3. Some cap savings by sending players easily to AHL and back and forth

Edited by Mackcanuck
11 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I live in the valley so I’m stoked. It’s going to be great to be able to watch the prospects play and to have professional hockey games close to home that a family can afford tickets to. I’ll probably buy season tickets. 

I'd be right there with you if I lived in the area, it should be a lot of fun. 

One of the best parts will be the ability for you to see other teams prospects. I'm hoping we get some good reports on CDC on other teams talent just for interest and possible trade targets, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

1, Players are nearby which makes the players feel they are being watched by the big team

2, The canuck position coaches will be able to work with the AHL players. (Ian Clarke, Chris Higgins)

Out of curiosity, outside of COVID times, can players with the AHL affiliate practice at all with the NHL team without technically being called up?

On a general note, I like the move and after things settle with COVID, would definitely be more interested in watching games of the Canucks' AHL affiliate.

Utica was fun to follow and they seem to have built a really solid organization.  I'm sure the city will rally behind whichever AHL team plays there next.

57 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

1. For home games, doesn't help on the road in say New York.

2. I'm hoping our fans follow the Utica example and be supportive of the team. Not get on players backs when they don't perform. They have to learn to get better.

3. I was not aware that travel expenses count against the cap (They don't to my understanding). Most East Coast AHL clubs travel by bus because teams aren't that far away. 

Vancouver and Manitoba will have one of the highest travel expenses now in the AHL. So don't see much of a savings. It's still an hour to 90 minute flight to California. 

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

3. I was not aware that travel expenses count against the cap

The possible saving against cap are more that:

a one day call up can occurr rather than a two day, as the first day used to be travel time. also a player can be "sent down" yet stay in the city to be recalled the next day, with a bit of salary being saved from counting against the cap.

Those that into the cap and how it works( Provost etc.) have indicated it maybe possible to save $2 mill over the course of the year, to be used at trade deadline to perhaps add a player via trade.