The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

The "ford" part of Abbotsford really lends itself to a name like the Broncos or Mustangs, especially if there were a local Ford dealer providing some sponsorship!

Good point Googlie; had not even thought of that one but I like it.

Hopefully they use the Johnny Canuck cartoon logo so those people that like the Johnny Canuck cartoon logo can get their fix; and hopefully it never comes up again that the Johnny Canuck cartoon logo should be an NHL team logo , such as the Canucks.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 2

On 5/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

Not a bad logo... Why not call them the Abbotsford Aviators?  Kind of a nod to the Abbotsford airshow.  

Im really digging the Abbotsford Aviators, and the fan made jersey looks really nice. Should probably work in some sort of airplane patch on the shoulders. I was against a team in Abbotsford years ago when there wasn't much teams in the Pacific in the AHL but now there is, im all for it. It will be great for the city of Abbotsford and that region in general of having some quality hockey and entertainment. So many people won't do the trek to Rogers arena cuz of time constraints, $$, distance etc. Im not going to be suprised if the abbotsford arena (whatever its called) is going to be packed nightly.

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im not going to be suprised if the abbotsford arena (whatever its called) is going to be packed nightly.

They'll need every one of their 8500 paying fans if they are going to subsidise the other Pacific Division teams for flying in from southern California for games.

San Diego, Bakersfield, Ontario, Stockton and Palm Springs are all about 2 hours apart (except Stockton- maybe 4 to 5 hours from Palm Springs and San Diego up the I-5)

Edit:  I overlooked San Jose's farm team, the Barracudas, who also play in San Jose. ..... that's about 7 hours drive from the southern teams, so I am guessing they fly in for those games too 

Edited by Googlie

59 minutes ago, Googlie said:

They'll need every one of their 8500 paying fans if they are going to subsidise the other Pacific Division teams for flying in from southern California for games.

San Diego, Bakersfield, Ontario, Stockton and Palm Springs are all about 2 hours apart (except Stockton- maybe 4 to 5 hours from Palm Springs and San Diego up the I-5)

Edit:  I overlooked San Jose's farm team, the Barracudas, who also play in San Jose. ..... that's about 7 hours drive from the southern teams, so I am guessing they fly in for those games too 

We will need to subsidize travel for other teams?  Personally, I’m glad our farm is close.  Crossover coaching, and way easier to move guys up or down.  

• Cheers 1

iirc that was an AHL Governors' condition for The Heat's relocation, but that was for teams in the east and central USA

(And welcome back. - haven't seen you around for ages!!)

Edited by Googlie

Thank you Vancouver Canucks organization and all Canucks fans that supported our Utica Comets. Sucks that the Covid prevents a proper send off for the team. Last home game tonight vs Amerks. Could be a worthy watch for those with AHLtv. First game vs Amerks with Arseneau back in the lineup. Good luck Canucks and fans. 

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, TomatoPieFan said:

Thank you Vancouver Canucks organization and all Canucks fans that supported our Utica Comets. Sucks that the Covid prevents a proper send off for the team. Last home game tonight vs Amerks. Could be a worthy watch for those with AHLtv. First game vs Amerks with Arseneau back in the lineup. Good luck Canucks and fans. 

I believe the support given by Comets fans had a lot to do with the success of prospects,   ..... thank you!

• Cheers 1

On 5/6/2021 at 4:56 PM, Googlie said:

The "ford" part of Abbotsford really lends itself to a name like the Broncos or Mustangs, especially if there were a local Ford dealer providing some sponsorship!

abbotsford f-150s has a nice ring to it.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 3:56 PM, Googlie said:

Magnuson Ford's previous affiliation with a member of the Canucks hasn't gone so well :lol: