The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

This is the last I saw maybe there's been a change

May 6, 2021

Utica, N.Y. - In conjunction with the New Jersey Devils, Comets President Robert Esche announced today that the American Hockey League’s Board of Governors has unanimously approved the relocation of the franchise owned by the New Jersey Devils from Binghamton, N.Y., to Utica, N.Y., beginning for the 2021-22 season. The ten-year deal begins a new chapter for the partnership between New Jersey and Utica – a pairing that previously existed from 1987-1993 when New Jersey’s AHL partner was the Utica Devils. 

In a joint statement, Devils President Jake Reynolds and Devils Executive Vice President/General Manager Tom Fitzgerald, expressed their excitement surrounding the new partnership:

“After multiple discussions and evaluating the options available for the future of our American Hockey League franchise, we have agreed to partner with local operating group Mohawk Valley Garden in Utica, NY, led by Comets President Robert Esche, to relocate our AHL franchise starting with the 2021-22 season. We are pleased to announce that this is a ten-year partnership which establishes a mutual commitment between our organization and the city of Utica.  We look forward to creating new memories for the fans as the next generation of Devils’ stars develop their professional careers at the Adirondack Bank Center.  Working with Robert and his team will be an exciting opportunity as we look to build upon the passion and enthusiasm that they’ve created in making Utica one of the top markets in the AHL.”

The organization will remain the Utica Comets, with jersey designs and colors to be revealed later this year. Throughout the process, both parties focused on the Utica community while introducing a new NHL partner into the City; the main component to that was ensuring that the team would still be called the Utica Comets.

4 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

There is open position of Chief Operating Officer (COO) for the Abbotsford AHL club posted on May 18 and it is still open:

https://recruiting.ultipro.ca/CAN5003AQG/JobBoard/ef431574-c057-4f55-95ac-f11092acb8de/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=e625f98c-0d04-4ad0-9abf-d43bfcf43264

Canucks fans on this forum are welcome to apply ::D

Maybe a few of us can team up and job share the position!

• Cheers 1

I am thinking - the Canucks farm club is going to be a brand new organization starting on blank page, no history, no tradition.

This is why it is important to create links to the previous successful Canucks club in the AHL - Utica Comets. So far we know that Ryan Johnson is moving from Utica to Abbotsford Anonymous :) (AA) club as General Manager of the club and Trent Cull is moving to new AA club as head coach.

I would like the new club to sign Brendan Gaunce to new contract (Brendan was great for Utica in its run to Calder Cup final in 2015, he was loyal soldier to the Canucks organization in the past and is currently playing in Sweden) along with some other veteran players who played well for Utica and could together with management establish the corporate culture in new organization the right way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

I am thinking - the Canucks farm club is going to be a brand new organization starting on blank page, no history, no tradition.

This is why it is important to create links to the previous successful Canucks club in the AHL - Utica Comets. So far we know that Ryan Johnson is moving from Utica to Abbotsford Anonymous :) (AA) club as General Manager of the club and Trent Cull is moving to new AA club as head coach.

I would like the new club to sign Brendan Gaunce to new contract (Brendan was great for Utica in its run to Calder Cup final in 2015, he was loyal soldier to the Canucks organization in the past and is currently playing in Sweden) along with some other veteran players who played well for Utica and could together with management establish the corporate culture in new organization the right way.

I think you're on to some thing. Abbotsford needs to be successful and hit the ground running with quality vets. If they start poorly they'll suffer for a long time

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

For sure, too, it'll be easier to assign vets there for conditioning purposes for a game or two after injuries.  Imagine the excitement if Petey or Hogz had a couple of games there - or if Podz started his NA career with 2 Abbotsford games!!

So this was announced a while ago, and we all know how the Canucks season ended...Why are they not hyping this move up!?!? Where is a list of names for the new team to get thrown out in the media to gauge fans response too? Will they allow fans to suggest a name, draw up a new logo design...Can we ask the guy who made the Comets logo to make a design for us too?

Build a brand early, shove it down everyone's throats so it is a well known entity before ever even having your 1st practice! As long as it doesn't have an Orca Bay logo on the chest good chance the Canucks organization might get some $$$ out of me for a new jersey to support our farm team!

Edited by Canuckster86
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

I expect Gaunce is making more money in Sweden than he would in the AHL. Not sure what he would bring to a Abby team. Not enough battle in his game.

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

I watched a lot of Comets games last season, and Jasek plays like he’s a very light body.  He’s either got to put up points in an offensive role, or there’s really no place for him.  I think the Canucks likely told him he had to play a heavier checking and hard to play against role, and not a scoring role.  There really is no future for him here, and he’s probably figured that out.  Best to go to Europe now and establish his career over there, than to get stuck in a role here that he’s really not physically or mentally suited for.  To be bluntly honest in the many games I watched I didn’t care for how Jasek played.  I thought he was too easy to play against for a guy who didn’t have top end skills.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

There really is no future for him here, and he’s probably figured that out.  Best to go to Europe now and establish his career over there, than to get stuck in a role here that he’s really not physically or mentally suited for.

I agree, I always thought that Canucks bosses kept Jasek to play for their AHL team. The main question remains and is just getting bigger with his departure - who are going to play in Abbortsford? Canucks have very few prospects in their system...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I agree, I always thought that Canucks bosses kept Jasek to play for their AHL team. The main question remains and is just getting bigger with his departure - who are going to play in Abbortsford? Canucks have very few prospects in their system...

I think Lind will play centre in Abby next season.  He played that role for the Comets.  I think the club likes Foghte (spelling?) as a centre too.  So that’s two young centres.  I’d expect the club to sign (or trade for) a couple more experienced centres to play in Abby.  Do we still have Graovac?  If so, he’s one of the two older centres.  So the Abby centres look to be:

Lind, Fochte, Graovac, and a career minor league guy.  

Do we have any other young centres coming up to Abby from our recently drafted prospects?  

Edited by Alflives

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Lind will play centre in Abby next season.  He played that role for the Comets.  I think the club likes Foghte (spelling?) as a centre too.  So that’s two young centres.  I’d expect the club to sign (or trade for) a couple more experienced centres to play in Abby.  Do we still have Graovac?  If so, he’s one of the two older centres.  So the Abby centres look to be:

Lind, Fochte, Graovac, and a career minor league guy.  

Do we have any other young centres coming up to Abby from our recently drafted prospects?  

isn't Lind open to being claimed off waivers next year tho? I can't see them risking losing him that way, because he would be claimed for sure. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

isn't Lind open to being claimed off waivers next year tho? I can't see them risking losing him that way, because he would be claimed for sure. 

He is?  I didn’t know that.  Might be a trade then to fill a hole on the farm.  Or double up the wheels on the baler?  (Farm humour) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He is?  I didn’t know that.  Might be a trade then to fill a hole on the farm.  Or double up the wheels on the baler?  (Farm humour) 

I'm assuming so since he'd be on his 1st bridge deal. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Dmitry Zlodeev is another drafted centre but he has one more year in his contract with Dynamo, Moscow.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Dmitry Zlodeev is another drafted centre but he has one more year in his contract with Dynamo, Moscow.

Arvid Costmar, and Linus Karlsson

You gotta be quick around here..lol

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1