The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

Rate this topic

26 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Dmitry Zlodeev is another drafted centre but he has one more year in his contract with Dynamo, Moscow.

Arvid Costmar, and Linus Karlsson

You gotta be quick around here..lol

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Hydration 1
52 minutes ago, Googlie said:

What's the status with Karlsson and  Costmar?  Linus played center a lot, although this past season I believe he was mostly a winger.  

They both could be signed by Canucks to play in Abby, but these are two rookie centers for NA...

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
41 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

They both could be signed by Canucks to play in Abby, but these are two rookie centers for NA...

There may also be the possibility that they try to re-sign both John Stevens and Tyler Graovac to fill the center position and Vincent Arseneau as a big aggressive LW presence. They are experienced players that have familiarity with coach Cull and a number of returning players.

That being said; they will still need a #1 C, IMO, as I doubt that Carson Focht is ready for that role just yet.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Should have a standard NHL out clause.

Besides it's only one year and we still have some vets to clear out of our bottom 6  for one more year. He can still come back next year and compete for a spot. A year in Europe isn't the worst thing either.

Edited by aGENT
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Should have a standard NHL out clause.

Besides it's only one year and we still have some vets to clear out of our bottom 6  for one more year. He can still come back next year and compete for a spot. A year in Europe isn't the worst thing either.

Yes, but by the 2022-23 season, we should have enough cap space to finally fill our bottom 6 with a combo of solid NHL vets and promising young players.  Jasek won't be coming back to play in the AHL again, so not sure how he would help us or where he would fit at that point.

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Yes, but by the 2022-23 season, we should have enough cap space to finally fill our bottom 6 with a combo of solid NHL vets and promising young players.  Jasek won't be coming back to play in the AHL again, so not sure how he would help us or where he would fit at that point.

Bottom 6 wing/fill in at C?

Has tonnes of speed, ability to PK, brings some play making to the bottom 6...

Put him with a bigger C (Focht? Or even better Jenner if we can acquire him) and maybe a good shooter like McDonagh and you might have something for a nice, fast, two way, solid defensively line in a couple years.

Edited by aGENT
On 6/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, Stierlitz said:

I don’t think he would have been ready for his NHL debut just yet, but it’s a big loss for the Comets, err… Abbotsford, for sure.

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Interesting, "Fraser Valley" sounds kinda awesome to be honest.

Fraser Valley Falcons?

Sounds more like a junior team but it rolls off the tongue.

6 minutes ago, Pazura92 said:

Man the abbotsford Millionaires

Would be unreal name, also some

historic meaning to Vancouver 

Thinking it will be the Aces but Millionaires would make branding pretty easy.

These names are all pretty bad. They're either dumb or aviation related, which I get has a local connection but isn't a good idea when there are two NHL teams with aviation themes.

Honestly Canucks, plain as it is, sounds like the best option.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Aces I think is the most logical choice with no ties like the Millionaires.

I would be disappointed if it had an aviation type name, I know it is by the airport and the Abbotsford air show etc but there is an NHL team named the Jets, having the farm team have a similar type name to me is the wrong move.

Either way I hope the name and more importantly the logo and colour scheme is good so I can get some merchandise for the man cave!

41 minutes ago, McBackup said:

These names are all pretty bad. They're either dumb or aviation related, which I get has a local connection but isn't a good idea when there are two NHL teams with aviation themes.

I am not a fan of re using the same name as the NHL team but if they use Fraser Valley as the name over Abbotsford I think it sounds okay. The Fraser Valley Canucks destroy the Marlies to win the Calder Cup...that has a nice ring to it!

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

You're probably right hahaha.