The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/poll] Trent Cull - next coach of the Canucks?

Rate this topic

JM_

Cull as Head Coach - do you approve?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

REALLY don't want either (especially the first). Who else is available?

thats the question that got me thinking about Cull. There are really two main reasons I think he's actually a possibility: the media reporting on the Canucks not treating Green well (might turn off some coaches), and the low-balling of Green on his next deal (assuming thats also true). You don't low ball your current guy unless you think you have something substantially equivalent in the ranks already. 

I haven't watched Utica much in the last couple of years, but it sounds like Cull is similar in style to Green. 

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Ownership is going to cheap out again and want someone relatively new. Burrows will probably be coaching here in 3 years.

Let Aqua coach for 3 years and then bring in Burrows. He is going to have some good assistant coach experience so may not be a bad option at all honestly.

I don't think there is a proven route to go with hiring a new coach. Some coaches with previous NHL head coaching experience may or may not be suitable candidates to replace Green. Similarly, candidates with no previous head coaching jobs may or may not be a good fit to replace Green

Personally, the first thing I would look for would be someone that shares the same vision for success as the GM does. There is no sense hiring a new coach that insists on playing a dump and chase style if the GM is only interested in acquiring players for a puck possession team. They both need to be in sync with what kind of team they want to be. IE: what is our team identity going to be.

I just think it would be the wrong approach to say a successor must have proven experience as an NHL head coach. There are quite a few existing NHL coaches that I would not be interested in if they became available at season's end and, admittedly, others that I would be very interested in. There are head coaches in the league that are currently in their first NHL head coaching role and are very successful coaches so you know that is a potential route. Coaches like Brind'Amour, Bednar, Evason, Keefe and Jon Cooper all seem to be pretty successful in their initial NHL head coaching roles. Could a Manny Malhotra be a similar first time head coach?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

If FA / JB goes with Cull, it's likely for budget reasons, not hockey reasons.

Honestly I think that's where we're at right now.

FA has been making financial cuts all year. Cutting un needed staff behind the scenes. It's not that far off to say he gives the keys to Cull for the year as interim coach to see how he does.

Cull was instrumental in the Crunch going to the calder cup back a few years ago. They were a dominant team stacked full of nhl talent...lots of which are on the Tampa Bay roster now or have been traded off to get other pieces back. I think Cull actually does know how to coach talent and use it properly...he just hasn't had that in Utica at ALL. He's had a winning record with a team filled with AHL vets and ECHL call ups/try outs as our dear nucks seem to always be tops in the league when it comes to man games lost due to injury. Yet while having a huge rotating cast in and out, he still finds ways to win.

I'm in on Cull if that's what they want to do next year.

Sure Gallant would be amazing, or if we could scoop up local boy Brindamour...but just don't see it happening. FA is looking to cut costs. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Watching the Comets a lot the past 2 seasons, Trent Cull has done a very good job carrying a culture of compete, work ethic, and coming alongside players to reinvent their games. Much like Travis Green, he maximizes the output with the team he has, and generally players buy in and want to play for him.

I dont know if he would be a good head coach at the NHL level, I'd rather promote him to be an assistant and create the natural progression of promotion from within. Something different about Cull compared to Green is that he is not outwardly grumpy but still is very personable as a coach. Perhaps that is his strength and weakness.

I really like Green but like Vintage said above and a sentiment I had always had, Green is a nice coach that helps bring up the core, but need a shrewd and savvy veteran coach to help us get to the next level. Green has created a good foundation, but I think its ultimately run its course. 

How does any coach or player answer the Q&A scrimmage after a game without getting grumpy. The same old drivel all the time. I can see Green being canned but I don't see him walking. 

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats the question that got me thinking about Cull. There are really two main reasons I think he's actually a possibility: the media reporting on the Canucks not treating Green well (might turn off some coaches), and the low-balling of Green on his next deal (assuming thats also true). You don't low ball your current guy unless you think you have something substantially equivalent in the ranks already. 

I haven't watched Utica much in the last couple of years, but it sounds like Cull is similar in style to Green. 

Cull has had to play Greens system as that is what has been asked of him. They are grooming guys to fit into Greens system once called up.

I think once he gets his own say we could see a very good coach. Maybe not great, but good enough to see what he does next season and keep the costs down.

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So we want to let go of green for another green? 

If its purely a money move by ownership then yeah I could see it happening, just replace one with the other already in the system. 

However, it would be pretty frustrating as a fan if the move was made just because they don't want to pay Green and not for the outlook of improving the team.

As a lot of others have been saying, if we're getting a new coach I'd rather an experienced one this time around. We've had newbies for nearly the past decade now. 

1 hour ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

Gallant did a great job with Vegas and Florida. He did not deserve to be fired from either team. Look at his records, they are very good. I will say this he likes to play veteran players but I still think he is by far the best coach available and a lot better than Green. 

Yet no one has hired him since the last firing. Seattle has has plenty of time to do so. And even Calgary went with Sutter instead of Gallant. I'm thinking there's something going on here that's not being disclosed to the public. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team needs a proven NHL coach. They've tried twice to promote a coach from the minors, and the team has stagnated. 

A full house cleaning is the only way things improve over the long term. Cull is not the answer.

Cull is not the answer, but a Cull is 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet no one has hired him since the last firing. Seattle has has plenty of time to do so. And even Calgary went with Sutter instead of Gallant. I'm thinking there's something going on here that's not being disclosed to the public. 

Calgary said Sutter was one of two people they would hire. Gallant was fired by the Owner of Vegas. Vegas went on a little losing streak the owner walked in and told McPhee either Gallant goes or he does and obviously he fired Gallant. I don't think there is anything behind the scenes that is keeping him from being hired. It would have come out already like it did with Babcock. Gallant just might be waiting for the perfect situation or maybe he wants a longer term contract that teams aren't willing to give right now. 

1 minute ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

Calgary said Sutter was one of two people they would hire. Gallant was fired by the Owner of Vegas. Vegas went on a little losing streak the owner walked in and told McPhee either Gallant goes or he does and obviously he fired Gallant. I don't think there is anything behind the scenes that is keeping him from being hired. It would have come out already like it did with Babcock. Gallant just might be waiting for the perfect situation or maybe he wants a longer term contract that teams aren't willing to give right now. 

Yet no one has hired him. Is he holding out for Seattle or something? There's been other coaches hired since then. Sorry good track record or no. There's more here than meets the eye.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

REALLY don't want either (especially the first). Who else is available?

Gallant would be a good fit to build a true identity on this team and get more out of the roster. He isnt necessarily a long term solution but if combined with a GM who can properly manage the cap and shed some deadweight while adding some actual talent to the supporting group, there could be a significant bounce much more quickly for this team.

The team is at the point where they need an experienced head coach, not another first time AHL guy.