The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/poll] Trent Cull - next coach of the Canucks?

Rate this topic

JM_

Cull as Head Coach - do you approve?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gallant would be a good fit to build a true identity on this team and get more out of the roster. He isnt necessarily a long term solution but if combined with a GM who can properly manage the cap and shed some deadweight while adding some actual talent to the supporting group, there could be a significant bounce much more quickly for this team.

The team is at the point where they need an experienced head coach, not another first time AHL guy.

We don't need a 'short term' solution. Big no to Gallant. WAY bigger no to Babcock.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

We don't need a 'short term' solution. Big no to Gallant. WAY bigger no to Babcock.

Not saying Gallant couldnt be a longer term solution. His tenures so far have just been short. Part of that is weird ownership and power struggles though.

Gallant is a very good coach. Significantly better than Green, Cull, etc.

I agree on Babcock. Think he is the most overrated coach of all time.

I don't think Green is a great coach but the issue is more Benning's terrible asset management. He has made some good moves but typically it is one step forward two steps back hence why the team loses year after year, spends to the cap, trades/downgrades more picks than acquired etc. 

Benning had an opportunity to stock up on picks and doing a proper rebuild but instead of weaponizing cap space he blew it on free agent signings with unmovable contracts. Just never seems to have a plan or any concrete strategy 

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Let Aqua coach for 3 years and then bring in Burrows. He is going to have some good assistant coach experience so may not be a bad option at all honestly.

We are all gonna turn on Burrows. Get someone with credibility. 

Babcock would be a hell no. He seems toxic. I also don't think he'll take on a coaching job until after his Maple Leafs deal is paid out since he won't be getting that kind of money again.

Gallant is my first choice. What he did in Florida and Vegas was remarkable and he seems like a good culture creator. I think the Canucks are close to being relevant again, they just need a guy like Gallant.

Boudreau is another interesting candidate. He is a playoff choker but he creates winning cultures, can't deny that.

I'm curious about Bob Hartley. He did win a Stanley Cup with Colorado and just won the KHL championship with Omsk. Could he be looking at an NHL return? (He's not my ideal fit but somebody that's probably going to get some consideration).

I do also like the idea of bringing in someone like Alex Burrows or Manny Maholtra but both of those guys are pretty inexperienced when it comes to coaching. I wonder if you could convince Maholtra to coach the AHL Abbotsford team as a Head Coach?!? Groom him going forward?

I never saw Trent Cull as a future Canucks head coach. He's had AHL success but nothing screamed NHL head coach like it did with Travis Green. Cull seems like a guy who could end up as an NHL assistant coach somewhere. That seems like his next step. Or he'll continue with Abbotsford next year.

I do like Travis Green as a Head Coach and I do believe that if the Canucks don't re-sign Green that he will end up coaching elsewhere in the NHL. Wouldn't shock me if Green got the Seattle Kraken job or the likely open Columbus Blue Jackets gig if he's not retained. 

But yeah, if Green is replaced I want Gallant.

Edited by Quantum

Who voted Anything is Better? Who wants to go down that road lol. If Green is gone no shortsighted fixes thanks.

Im not sold on Gallant or Babcock. I think they are somewhat black listed anyway. But if a change is made it’s gotta be right, gotta be a guy with experience 

NO MORE ROOKIE AHL/ECHL COACHES.  Our star players are moving into their prime in the next 2-3 years and need some professional leadership.   I don't want to watch another 5 years of coaching mistake, being outcoached in the playoffs, poor player management, inability to prepare a team for the season, miscommunication, poor game management and bench penalties which we've had to painfully endure for far too long.    

Vancouver should no longer be considered a training/elementary school for AHL/ECHL rookie coaches like TG and Uncle willy.   Just look at where that got us - as we enter yet another embarrassing off season punted out of the playoffs.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We are all gonna turn on Burrows. Get someone with credibility. 

That’s my thoughts on Burrows. The man is a Canucks legend. Please don’t make him a coach of the Canucks. I couldn’t handle the fans 

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

So we want to let go of green for another green? 

I didn't say that. But Jim might. 

If its purely a money move by ownership then yeah I could see it happening, just replace one with the other already in the system. 

However, it would be pretty frustrating as a fan if the move was made just because they don't want to pay Green and not for the outlook of improving the team.

As a lot of others have been saying, if we're getting a new coach I'd rather an experienced one this time around. We've had newbies for nearly the past decade now. 

@Attila Umbrus makes some interesting points tho on this 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

curious - why no to Gallant? you were one of the only people right about Loui Eriksson before that happened so I'd like to know why you think Gallant would suck.