The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/poll] Trent Cull - next coach of the Canucks?

Rate this topic

JM_

Cull as Head Coach - do you approve?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green isnt the biggest problem. Benning and Weisbrod are. And Baumgartner is Lidster level bad at coaching defense and 2011 called they want Newell Browns drop pass $&!# pp strategies back. Since they only worked then before other teams figured out how to neutralize them.

Every team in the league uses that Drop pass now...

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Part of the problem is still the team.

Nobody is complaining now that Babcock was replaced with Keefe.

Yep.  That's a bingo.   Much like AV getting the axe before MG,   to me at least JB is more deserving of the axe then TG.   Can only win so many games with the lemons he's done his best to make into lemonade.   Sure if the 12-13 in cap wasn't sitting on the taxi squad or AHL, that those games that are close until the end of the third period would more likely be wins.   It's a very hard pass on Babcock.    Would hate to see him coach the Canucks.   If and when TG loses the room then yes replace him.   Why do so many CDCers think we are that good already on paper?   We are not  at least for now.   In time with experience, we should be fine. This is a very young team.   Look at Nurse in EDM this year.   These guys take time. And it's not like we have the vets to carry the mail either. 

I'm ok with change.   But think a complete overhaul might as well happen in that case.   Not just the coach.   AV might also be available this year lol.   If he can't take a veteran squad to the playoffs with young players in every key position ... is he really that much better? 

5 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Every team in the league uses that Drop pass now...

Correction, other teams use the drop pass EFFECTIVELY to gain entry to the offensive zone.

The Canucks are so lazy with their drop passes that it defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.

Given the skill we have, the PP is static garbage most of the time. Having said that, not sure how many if any other teams in the NHL would have Pearson on their top unit.

With EP out, they should have Schmidt and Hughes with Miller, Boeser, and Horvat. Horvat should be the net front guy in that scenario. Hughes struggles to hit the net. He walks the line and moves the puck well but could benefit by not havinh to be the only dman there. Achmidt can hit the net and it would help not relying on Hughes as the only guy back when it gets turned the other way quickly.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

This is who we need to get our pussy-cats whipped into shape.   Enough of the pampering Yoga sessions, back massages, psychotherapy, food nutritionist, nail polishing and tarrot card reading BS supplied by management to the players.   We need a real man to step in and take our soft, finessed players from boyhood into manhood and teach them what it takes to win and beat the soft, euro-style Swedish influence out of them that has hampered this team for 18 years! 

Tigers the Man to do it !

Former NHL star Tiger Williams's sexual-assault trial set for June -  CityNews Toronto

Man i like Williams, but what happened on those flights to Latvia weren't a good look.   After JV it isn't going to happen, probably not before either. 

I sense a sword of Damocles hanging above Benning's head right now, and I can see him getting canned at the end of this season, or perhaps after the draft cycle is done. 60/40 chance this happens, and no I don't have any insider information, it's just a gut feeling I have.

Whether it happens this offseason or not, it'll happen, and again, I'd bet my finest steel that Aquaman replaces him with a first timer, and that the coach too, is a nobody.

34 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Green will be back next season, you didn't have enough options in your poll.

I believe Green will be back next season and will sign a new contract, but all coaches have a best before date. I believe that Cull is being groomed as the next head coach in Vancouver when Green does leave.

my premise is Green chooses to walk 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Green will be back next season, you didn't have enough options in your poll.

I believe Green will be back next season and will sign a new contract, but all coaches have a best before date. I believe that Cull is being groomed as the next head coach in Vancouver when Green does leave.

I’ll actually be quite upset if Cull is made to b the next coach.   Just seems like a lazy cost effective measure in my opinion.  Go big or go home.   Convince the fans that you’re serious about winning and bring in a big name coach like Gerard Gallant or Claude Julien.

Gallant already has proven chemistry with Nate Schmidt.   Maybe Claude Julien convinces a guy like Philip Danault to sign here (FYI - I would strongly consider using a 1st and Rathbone as sweeteners to get rid of all of Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel but that’s a different idea for a different day).  

Bottom line?  Canucks need to turn some heads in the off season to get both their players and fans EXCITED about next season........because right now, morale is as low as it’s ever been.

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I saw Willie Desjardins and Travis Green being transitional coaches that were here during most of the rebuilding years. Now, it's time to hire an experienced NHL coach to take us to the next level with some of our young players close to approaching their prime years.

I like this analogy , I compare it to pitchers, Starting pitcher, set up guy, and now we need a closer to seal the deal.

Since he had a good record in both Florida and Vegas, did you ever ask yourself why Gallant got fired in both places?  Especially in Vegas, there window is still open, why change horses in midstream?  Once, yeah maybe he didn't gel with the GM or the owner, but TWICE?  Seems like he might be hard to work with, perhaps a little toxic?  We don't want that with our young core.  With Babcock, it's a hard NO.  Was he successful?  Sure he won A CUP in Detroit, but look what he had to work with.  He had a team full of veteran stars, leaders like Shanahan, Lidstrom and Yzerman.  His first year, Detroit had six - 20 goal scorers, Zetterberg scored 39 and Shanahan potted 40.  How could ANY decent coach not be successful with that group?  The fact that he only won ONE cup is why I don't think he's that good.  Bowman would have won two or three more with that team.  In Toronto he couldn't get their young talent around the corner.  That team is loaded with great players, better than our core, yet three strait first-round exits and one DNA, that's a problem.  Word that I've heard is that he's very self-impressed.  Honestly, the best coach for this team is the one behind the bench.  I've read in more than one place with good sources that TG is a solid candidate for the Seattle job, and that maybe the reason they haven't named their headman yet is because they're waiting for the season to end.  I'd keep Travis, and in a perfect world replace Baumer with somebody like Kevin Bieksa, and maybe see if we could encourage Burr to come back to Vancouver to coach our special teams.  

We need an experienced coach that knows how to teach a team to play defence.

also a coach who isn’t afraid to play young guys over veteran plugs. 

I don’t think JB should be given yet another mulligan. (coaches signing trades ect) 

a new veteran GM that’s proven should be the first and most  important move. 

new gm  new coaches 

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

I’ll actually be quite upset if Cull is made to b the next coach.   Just seems like a lazy cost effective measure in my opinion.  Go big or go home.   Convince the fans that you’re serious about winning and bring in a big name coach like Gerard Gallant or Claude Julien.

Gallant already has proven chemistry with Nate Schmidt.   Maybe Claude Julien convinces a guy like Philip Danault to sign here (FYI - I would strongly consider using a 1st and Rathbone as sweeteners to get rid of all of Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel but that’s a different idea for a different day).  

Bottom line?  Canucks need to turn some heads in the off season to get both their players and fans EXCITED about next season........because right now, morale is as low as it’s ever been.

I'd be pretty happy with Gallant as well.

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Since he had a good record in both Florida and Vegas, did you ever ask yourself why Gallant got fired in both places?  Especially in Vegas, there window is still open, why change horses in midstream?  Once, yeah maybe he didn't gel with the GM or the owner, but TWICE?  Seems like he might be hard to work with, perhaps a little toxic?  We don't want that with our young core.  With Babcock, it's a hard NO.  Was he successful?  Sure he won A CUP in Detroit, but look what he had to work with.  He had a team full of veteran stars, leaders like Shanahan, Lidstrom and Yzerman.  His first year, Detroit had six - 20 goal scorers, Zetterberg scored 39 and Shanahan potted 40.  How could ANY decent coach not be successful with that group?  The fact that he only won ONE cup is why I don't think he's that good.  Bowman would have won two or three more with that team.  In Toronto he couldn't get their young talent around the corner.  That team is loaded with great players, better than our core, yet three strait first-round exits and one DNA, that's a problem.  Word that I've heard is that he's very self-impressed.  Honestly, the best coach for this team is the one behind the bench.  I've read in more than one place with good sources that TG is a solid candidate for the Seattle job, and that maybe the reason they haven't named their headman yet is because they're waiting for the season to end.  I'd keep Travis, and in a perfect world replace Baumer with somebody like Kevin Bieksa, and maybe see if we could encourage Burr to come back to Vancouver to coach our special teams.  

Hard no to Bieksa and Burrows on the coaching staff. Let them stay beloved as former Canucks, not hated for being team coaches.

Hard no to Babcock. Might be the most overrated coach in NHL history.

Regarding Gallant, the Florida Tom Rowe gong show is just nothing that can be blamed on Gallant. That was just a tire fire all around.