The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/poll] Trent Cull - next coach of the Canucks?

Rate this topic

JM_

Cull as Head Coach - do you approve?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:05 PM, igorwasgreat said:

I like this analogy , I compare it to pitchers, Starting pitcher, set up guy, and now we need a closer to seal the deal.

I hate analogies but this is a great analogy, an average baseball game has 17:58 of action, an average Canucks performance, about the same.

These coaches, Desjardins, Green and Cull among many others are all fine coaches and can get guys going and win games. The thing that I feel makes all the difference for us at this point in our rebuild is the fine line between good and great. Do we really still want to be ok or good - or is it time for high gear?

I’m okay with Green, he seems like a nice guy to have around. But is nice and okay what we really need when we are finishing 26th or 27th again?

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

I’m sorry but I may be in the minority here but I want Babcock. He is a proven winner and is VERY experienced. I’m sure he has learned to check himself better since the fallout.

The thing is that his philosophy was to coach everyone differently and experiment what works best to get the best out of them. I’m sure he will limit himself given another chance.

He would be cheap and I’m sure he would do very well. 

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I’m sorry but I may be in the minority here but I want Babcock. He is a proven winner and is VERY experienced. I’m sure he has learned to check himself better since the fallout.

The thing is that his philosophy was to coach everyone differently and experiment what works best to get the best out of them. I’m sure he will limit himself given another chance.

He would be cheap and I’m sure he would do very well. 

He's a proven a hole that got fired for being a douche in the biggest market in the NHL. You see anyone else lining up for him after that?

Edited by cuporbust

On 5/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet no one has hired him. Is he holding out for Seattle or something? There's been other coaches hired since then. Sorry good track record or no. There's more here than meets the eye.

But he is coaching team Canada at the upcoming world championship,  and you don't get to do that if you're in bad standings. Team Canada has a strong vetting process, and they hand picked Gallant.

I'm not saying Green is bad,  but he might not be the fit for us. If Anaheim wants him so bad and they're willing to pay, I say let them.  And then we can see if if it's roster or gm. 

• Cheers 1

if aquaman gets rid of green and then cheap out on another AHL coach.. it just shows he has no idea how to run a NHL team from an owner prospective.. he's ok with bleeding money to useless players and plugs but when it comes to coaching that can actually make a difference he's going to decide nope i'm going to cheap out and hire some budget coach that have no experience or clue what they are doing and if he fails i can blame the GM. if that's the case then this team is just gonna waste all the rookies talent and watch them all leave after the rfa status are over.. i mean what kind of plan is this? just when the team is about to be competitive you decides to cheap out on 1 staff that could make the difference in winning or losing but yet he's ok on spending to the max on building a team full of dead weights?

On 5/5/2021 at 10:08 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

This team needs a proven NHL coach. They've tried twice to promote a coach from the minors, and the team has stagnated. 

A full house cleaning is the only way things improve over the long term. Cull is not the answer.

While I agree with you, the other half of CDC seems to think Green is the best coach ever and he'd have multiple Cups by now if he wasn't stuck with 'talentless bums' like Hughes and Boeser.  No clue where this unwavering fan boy devotion comes from.  I don't get it at all.  Replacing Green with an NHL caliber staff is sorely needed. No more AHL experiments.  Been there,  tried that. Next!

• Cheers 1

I have heard a lot of rumours that ownership wants to cut costs on everything if possible, including coaching. I am unsure how true those rumours are but I think it can be a cause for concern in trying to attract coaches with NHL experience. If Aquaman doesn't want to pay Green what makes everyone think he would want to pay for Gallant? or any other top UFA coach.

It seems likely that Cull gets a shot.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:55 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

What are the chances that if Green walks this offseason that we see Benning promote Trent Cull to head coach? 

I'm not advocating one way or the other, just want to know how CDC would view this. These are the major points I see:

Main Positives for the promotion:

- winning record in 4 years as AHL head coach

- knows our prospects well

Main Negavies:

- rookie NHL coach

- no NHL playing experience 

Here's the assistant group he may bring with him, including Sanford as a possible replacement for Ian Clark if he walks too: http://www.uticacomets.com/team/hockey-operations

If this is something Benning does, whats your take on it? Its easy to say hire this or that coach (e.g., Gallant) but the best of the UFA coaches may not want to be here, we may have to promote from within again. 

I'd be okay with this.

Would really love to see Juice hired as Asst/D-coach. Sharp guy, who'd keep everyone loose. PAY KB3 with golden nuggets, ferGawdsakes!

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd be okay with this.

Would really love to see Juice hired as Asst/D-coach. Sharp guy, who'd keep everyone loose. PAY KB3 with golden nuggets, ferGawdsakes!

yup Bieksa would be a great coach. I wonder if his family would want to move tho.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I heard Calif is goin to pot, Jimmy. But what would I know?! :^) Cyclin' aimlessly around Osaka with Margaritaville playin' in my head.

that sounds like fun. But shouldn't it be kushikatsuville? 

On 5/8/2021 at 9:33 AM, Spoosh said:

These coaches, Desjardins, Green and Cull among many others are all fine coaches and can get guys going and win games. The thing that I feel makes all the difference for us at this point in our rebuild is the fine line between good and great. Do we really still want to be ok or good - or is it time for high gear?

I’m okay with Green, he seems like a nice guy to have around. But is nice and okay what we really need when we are finishing 26th or 27th again?

Green is a dick not playing Hoglander was a classless move

This thread seems like dejavu. It totally reminds me of the darkest days under Willie Desjardins and the prospect of a young AHL coach with a good repoir with the young guys. 

Now instead of Travis Green replacing WD it’s another AHL coach replacing Green.

Get a real coach already!

• Cheers 1