The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I hated Gretzky for most the ‘80s and really didn’t watch him, I regret that now, I think McDavid is the most exciting player right now and I’ll take any opportunity to watch him play.

Comparing eras is tough, different equipment, training, etc., but take a look how much better Gretzky was than whoever finished behind him in scoring. McDavid is just now starting to put up decent gaps on the field. Time will tell but he is headed for being one of the best ever.

Esa Tikkanen was "The Grate One" when he was Gretzky's teammate in Edmonton.  He was the biggest pest in the NHL and his best years were as an Oilers winning Cups with Gretzky. 

He was the biggest trash talker constantly yapping but being from Finland he had quite the accent. The running joke was not even Esa can understand what Esa is saying to opposing players on the ice.. 

Watched that Oilers team play at the old PNE coliseum many times. Colorado is the team that resemble the 80s Oilers the most over the past 4 decades.

Loaded with young star players. Super entertaining and fun to watch. Watching the AVS reminds me of the 80s Oilers thats why I try to watch as many AVS hockey games as I could. 

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My opinion is that the stars of today's sports would school those of the past.

Too much tech, knowledge and training. 

There are some debatable exceptions but in general  I believe this is the case.

Nhl hockey is hard to judge as the rules have changed and affected the game so much. 

This is a cold call.

Do you know how much money you'd save washing your clothes in cold water?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

No doubt McJesus will be closer to 100 after tonight....if not reach his target...was really hoping he wouldn't do it against the Nucks.....

One of the reasons McJesus has so many points, although he is a very good player, is that he has played three Canadian bottom feeder teams all season. Don't get me wrong - I love my 'Nucks, but how many points would have if he actually had to play against other really good teams,  such as Tampa, Colorado, LV, Washington, etc.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   AL Mac with his wooden stick..same with Bobby Hull .. chumps. 

To me it's really simple.   We can look at each group of stars in their 30's and how they did against the stars coming up in their 20's and evaluate them all the way back to when Shore was playing.   It's easier when you've seen them play.  If Smithers Joe wants to pipe in i'd listen to what he has to say as in folks who've seen these guys play.  Game now is faster without a doubt.  Removing the goons and the redline is almost all of that from what i've seen.  Gartners time still hasn't been beat, even by McDavid, because McDavid hasn't skated the same circle yet.  He's a couple feet closer to the middle.   

I rewatched some 94 playoffs games about 2 years ago when I was back west.  The Hockey was just as fast in my opinion and a lot tighter (think obstruction) and meaner.  

It’s country club in comparison today.  

9 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

There was a Ghostof1994. Where'd he vanish to? 

lol tried to look up his name cause i thought of him as well, maybe deleted his account or banned for something?, 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Esa Tikkanen was "The Grate One" when he was Gretzky's teammate in Edmonton.  He was the biggest pest in the NHL and his best years were as an Oilers winning Cups with Gretzky. 

He was the biggest trash talker constantly yapping but being from Finland he had quite the accent. The running joke was not even Esa can understand what Esa is saying to opposing players on the ice.. 

Watched that Oilers team play at the old PNE coliseum many times. Colorado is the team that resemble the 80s Oilers the most over the past 4 decades.

Loaded with young star players. Super entertaining and fun to watch. Watching the AVS reminds me of the 80s Oilers thats why I try to watch as many AVS hockey games as I could. 

Love watching the Avs, especially MacKinnon.  Hopefully they bring home a cup this year.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Wow ... what a beautiful goal by the Leafs..  Marner with the sweet finish.. 

4 - 0 leafs 1st period. 

We might have to shoot ourselves in the foot and win both winnipeg games to help getting the Leafs out in the first round. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I rewatched some 94 playoffs games about 2 years ago when I was back west.  The Hockey was just as fast in my opinion and a lot tighter (think obstruction) and meaner.  

It’s country club in comparison today.  

It's unbelievably soft now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My opinion is that the stars of today's sports would school those of the past.

Too much tech, knowledge and training. 

There are some debatable exceptions but in general  I believe this is the case.

Nhl hockey is hard to judge as the rules have changed and affected the game so much. 

100%..... Thats not even a question..

Even Gretzky used to say towards the end of his career how fast strong and skilled the younger players coming in were..

That was 2 decades ago..

Back in the 80s players used to party all summer and training camp was to get into playing shape. Today you come to camp without being in elite shape you don't make the team.. these stars of today would skate circles around the teams of the 80s. 

Today's athlete with modern training methods the diet they eat the strength and conditioning and the speed and skill they have are on another level.