The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Winnipeg yes, Montreal is proving themselves right now it is gonna be a short series in favor of the leafs. 

Unlikely; Montreal's slowly getting healthy and the Leafs still have a huge liability in Rielly playing a ton of minutes and a lazy floater who's scared of the puck in Nylander.  You don't win playoff series with either of those guys.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Esa Tikkanen was "The Grate One" when he was Gretzky's teammate in Edmonton.  He was the biggest pest in the NHL and his best years were as an Oilers winning Cups with Gretzky. 

He was the biggest trash talker constantly yapping but being from Finland he had quite the accent. The running joke was not even Esa can understand what Esa is saying to opposing players on the ice.. 

Watched that Oilers team play at the old PNE coliseum many times. Colorado is the team that resemble the 80s Oilers the most over the past 4 decades.

Loaded with young star players. Super entertaining and fun to watch. Watching the AVS reminds me of the 80s Oilers thats why I try to watch as many AVS hockey games as I could. 

Ok, my point was about the style of play back in Gretzky’s era. Seriously didn’t mean to start a debate about when Tik’s nickname started. In any case he was a classic example of the clutching and grabbing that players got away with.

Esa spoke Tikkanese.  Another Gretzky quote from the series..

“I just felt like telling him to shut up. I said, ‘Tikk, I never understood you when I was playing with you, and I don’t understand you now.”

– Wayne Gretzky (from “Time for New King Fans to Brush Up on That Hockey Talk”, Los Angeles Times, 03/16/89)

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I rewatched some 94 playoffs games about 2 years ago when I was back west.  The Hockey was just as fast in my opinion and a lot tighter (think obstruction) and meaner.  

It’s country club in comparison today.  

Yes that was the last year hockey was fun before the dead puck era.. great hockey 4 years in early 90s. 

Thats when the European stars started coming over and dominate. They were in amazing physical condition with superior skill and power.  Thats when the dead puck era was brought in. Hooking clutching holding grabbing interference were all allowed....

We had to send ppl to Europe to learn their training methods and come back apply them to our kids to develop their skills.. took 10 plus years to get caught up before opening up the game to speed and skill again.. 

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes that was the last year hockey was fun before the dead puck era.. great hockey 4 years in early 90s. 

Thats when the European stars started coming over and dominate. They were in amazing physical condition with superior skill and power.  Thats when the dead puck era was brought in. Hooking clutching holding grabbing interference were all allowed....

We had to send ppl to Europe to learn their training methods and come back apply them to our kids to develop their skills.. took 10 plus years to get caught up before opening up the game to speed and skill again.. 

The Detroit-Colorado battles were some of the best hockey I've ever seen though.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1