The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

what a terrible take, hawerchuk or stastny didnt even come close to the season mcdavid is having. gretzky didn't score at this clip since 1990-1991.

also would be nice to see how many goals mcdavid would get if all he goalies played like arcade hockey goalies

1507888817_arcadehockey.jpg.67fd55f50f4bfd43613780295ac936a9.jpg

if your going to be a 80's homer, at least show a little respect that, the best 80's goalie roy had worse sv% than every single goalie who played over 50 games in the last ten years

Yes i allowed for the 5-10% difference in sp.  Because that's all it was.    It's much easier to play today's game without a redline.  And everyone finishing their checks. 

I don't like revisionist history.  Look at Jagr.  He played in the dead puck era and had three 120 point seasons and could barely keep up with WG at then end of his career.  Yzerman played in the 80's and on one knee was better then most C's coming in that would become the next crop of stars.   Removing the redline sped the game up tremendously.   Athletes today have it so easy in the NHL compared to how it was before.   No obstruction. Instigator rule.   Go watch some Mario highlights and you can count 1-4 penalties on each play in today's game.   McDavid is good yes.  So was Stastny and so was Hawerchuk.   More then anything - if your weren't alive back then - then don't know have a clue.  21 teams.  And enforcers.  The talent level hasn't come close to catching up. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yes i allowed for the 5-10% difference in sp.  Because that's all it was.    It's much easier to play today's game without a redline.  And everyone finishing their checks. 

yeah but did you acount for 5-10% for every other player in the league too? it has a exponential effect, because now time becomes a factor.

• Haha 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

yeah but did you acount for 5-10% for every other player in the league too? it has a exponential effect, because now time becomes a factor.

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

its also a lot easier to walk around goons hungover and on coke

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

its also alo tharder when forwards actually play defense and back check instead of running someone behind the play and creating oddman rushes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Hey i am allowed my own opinion, and i don't like him, one, because he loves to dive and the other over the years he has only cared about points and not about the team. 

Yes you are allowed your own opinion.

I am curious - are there any current Canucks that are like that? Have there been any Canucks in the past like that, and thus you did not like them?

Still would like an explanation to the bolded part

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Hey i am allowed my own opinion, and i don't like him, one, because he loves to dive and the other over the years he has only cared about points and not about the team. 

97?

If so watching that guy in full stride is unbelievable. 

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I’m actually hoping for a win today... totally down with team tank but I don’t want to see the losing streak hitting double digits.  

Besides if you look at the standings there’s just no chance that we can slide into the top 5 (don’t forget about Seattle pick)

how u think we beat oilers with 8 ahl and rookies  in lineup   mcdavid gonna get another 3 points   we are 2nd worst team right now   if we stayed there we can win 1st overall or draft 4th if we get 1 win  its possible  as same out come  2 wins gets us  2-5  3wins puts us 2-7th 

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

I don't care about our draft position right now.  I just want to salvage some pride with a win or two.  And I'm willing to bet a lot of money that most of the players feel the same way (or at least they should).  Tanking is just plain moronic at any time.  The whole point of playing a game, any game, is the attempt to win.  Anything other than the Canucks trying their best to win is a waste of their time and ours.  Go Canucks Go!

ya who wants mcdavid when u can pick a virtanen lol

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Difference between McDavid and Mario/WG - is both those guys scored a ton of goals too.   WG lost a step in that department after his back and shoulder injury but still scored like McDavid does in his latter half ... and if you take the SP and even them out it's both those guys would too.  He's the Hawerchuk/Stastny of our  day nothing more, nothing less.   WG and Mario in today's game with no redline and cap considerations would be scoring 160-190 points in their prime.    Yes he's good (McDavid).   But i doubt he will ever win a cup.   Not until cap catches up and now it won't. 

Yup terrible take. McDavid = Hawerchuk/Stasny?

Look, I hate it when he single handedly destroys our team like anyone….but put McDavid in Gretzky’s or Mario’s era and he is right with them in terms of point production and probably in goals too. You see how little of the net the goalies covered back then. And there were actual PYLONS playing defence back then. Pylon defencemen don’t exist in today’s game. Dana Murzyn makes Alex Edler look like Scott Niedermayer in comparison. :lol: Wayne and Mario wouldn’t score at will in today’s game to the same extent.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

It's simple really.  Lot at Jagr.   He was awesome from the get go and played with guys that still play even now.   But wasn't the best - that was Mario at the time.   Iginla played in the 90's too.   And was arguably the best forward of the 2000's.   Lidstrom couldn't win a Norris in his 20's against guys in their 30's of much older then him in the 90's.  Diluted talent...there is a reason why they call the 80's the golden era of hockey starting about a decade ago. 

Howe.  Wonder what folks think of him.  He was great too.   So was Clarke, Orr, Lafleur, Robinson, Parent and Dryden (who both have elite sp even by today's standards).... 

This idea that players keep getting better an better us asinine.   Yes McDavid is having a career year.  Back when Wayne was getting 200 points the next tier was getting 100. WG in today's game - just like he was -would still do it.   Best passer ever.  Thought the game five steps ahead of Crosby.   Hawerchuk and Stastny were also uber skilled.  I stand by my original post.   If WG and Mario weren't around , those two guys and one year of Yzerman and LAs what's his name again because he was lucky to play on WG wing for a year - would have always been at or near the top in league scoring. 

Edit: As far as no redline and no obstruction goes.   Our team would be screwed back then absolutely completely screwed.  Both EP and QHs would be anyways.   Zubov led the NYR in scoring - over Leetch and Messier in 94.   Moved to Dallas and was a consistent 50 point guy in the dead puck era.   When the new rules came in ... well he scored 73 points as a 37 year old and challenged Lidstrom for the Norris (all of Lidstroms' real competition had aged out by then.. Pronger injured Niedermayer grey beard but both about to win a cup with Selanne).   Point is it's actually very simple to go back a decade at a time.   If guys like Coffey in his 15th season are winning Norris trophies over guys like Lidstrom, Chelios, Al Mac and Pronger ... what does that say?   It says a lot really.   The 2000's was a disappointment talent wise, best players mostly came from the 90's.    Glad Ovi, Crosby and McDavid and a glut of D's have come in.   It's so easy to play in this league now.   Nothing like it used to be despite Roy's butterfly and monster sized goalies coming in. 

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's simple really.  Lot at Jagr.   He was awesome from the get go and played with guys that still play even now.   But wasn't the best - that was Mario at the time.   Iginla played in the 90's too.   And was arguably the best forward of the 2000's.   Lidstrom couldn't win a Norris in his 20's against guys in their 30's of much older then him in the 90's.  Diluted talent...there is a reason why they call the 80's the golden era of hockey starting about a decade ago.  

your taliking like jagr isn't the second all time leading scorer,and didn't have the most points in the 90's. and also expecting a russian young power forwards to be dominant learninga whole new way to communicate and play the game. Lidstrom was always a solid all around defenseman, theres no wonder that coffey would eat up all  the pp time, like hughes does today. lidstrom also new country,new ice.

after 3 years in the nhl it was all lindros and jagr. how dare they take time to develop

• Haha 1