The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

23 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup terrible take. McDavid = Hawerchuk/Stasny?

Look, I hate it when he single handedly destroys our team like anyone….but put McDavid in Gretzky’s or Mario’s era and he is right with them in terms of point production and probably in goals too. You see how little of the net the goalies covered back then. And there were actual PYLONS playing defence back then. Pylon defencemen don’t exist in today’s game. Dana Murzyn makes Alex Edler look like Scott Niedermayer in comparison. :lol: Wayne and Mario wouldn’t score at will in today’s game to the same extent.

False news.   Might as well say all the 2000's guys were pilons too, because both those guys made them look foolish when they were in their early prime.  Just go back and look at the highlights.   SP has gone up a whopping 5-8%.   Big deal.   It's still an incredible feat.  And back then we didn't have 31 teams.  Yes we had enforcers on the fourth line.  But they didn't go goon until the late 90's. 

Before that they could play for the most part as well.   Our team would get absolutely killed if they played back then under the same rules.    Hockey isn't the same.   But WG and Mario are never ever going to be compared to McDavid. Go watch the highlights if you weren't alive back then.    Mario usually had 1-4 penalties on each of his goal in today's game it was a total rodeo.   WG is and still considered - the most dominant player in sports history and would still be 70-100% ahead of the second place point scorer. 

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

How lucky has EDM been? 

Having Gretzky all of those years, the Cups, then getting a sh**load of 1st overalls, and now having McDavid, which will be followed by more Cups.

They still won't do **** in the postseason.

• Thanks 2

I'm looking forward to seeing what Gadjovich can do when he gets the chance. Canucks need more snarl to their game. I appreciate Miller's enthusiasm, but he's a bit of a hothead. It's great to finally see these guys in games (Juolevi, Rathbone, Lind) 

18 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Jack, coming from you -  you have no idea how much that means to me...

Chicken, drivel is the Bitcoin of CDC. 

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

its also alo tharder when forwards actually play defense and back check instead of running someone behind the play and creating oddman rushes

So you admit you weren't alive back then? 

54 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes i allowed for the 5-10% difference in sp.  Because that's all it was.    It's much easier to play today's game without a redline.  And everyone finishing their checks. 

I don't like revisionist history.  Look at Jagr.  He played in the dead puck era and had three 120 point seasons and could barely keep up with WG at then end of his career.  Yzerman played in the 80's and on one knee was better then most C's coming in that would become the next crop of stars.   Removing the redline sped the game up tremendously.   Athletes today have it so easy in the NHL compared to how it was before.   No obstruction. Instigator rule.   Go watch some Mario highlights and you can count 1-4 penalties on each play in today's game.   McDavid is good yes.  So was Stastny and so was Hawerchuk.   More then anything - if your weren't alive back then - then don't know have a clue.  21 teams.  And enforcers.  The talent level hasn't come close to catching up. 

ew nice, editing your comment after the fact.

guess what your wrong, in the history of time since the olympics were documented athletes got better. and in a team sport the errors are multiplied. must have been nice to play against people who really didnt undestand that defense wins games too.

stupid redline and clutch and grap barely effected he score. the season after they changed the rules the score increased .3gpg then next year? that advantage was gone.

oh by the way your 3 years older than me, you think your 5 year old self was a hockey guru, sad.

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup terrible take. McDavid = Hawerchuk/Stasny?

Look, I hate it when he single handedly destroys our team like anyone….but put McDavid in Gretzky’s or Mario’s era and he is right with them in terms of point production and probably in goals too. You see how little of the net the goalies covered back then. And there were actual PYLONS playing defence back then. Pylon defencemen don’t exist in today’s game. Dana Murzyn makes Alex Edler look like Scott Niedermayer in comparison. :lol: Wayne and Mario wouldn’t score at will in today’s game to the same extent.

You guys do realize that Lemieux scored 76 points in 43 games in the middle of the dead puck era after not playing for 3 years and at the age of 36 don’t you?  Not far off of McDavid’s current pace

That’s a contemporary comparison to today’s NHL

McDavid is great but he has a lot still to prove the be put up there with Orr, Wayne and Mario

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

So you admit you weren't alive back then? 

admit you werent 2 when the 80's started? 

i was alive, im justrealistic in knowing that a 5-13 year old isn't  a good analyst or has any realistic memories

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

You guys do realize that Lemieux scored 76 points in 43 games in the middle of the dead puck era after not playing for 3 years and at the age of 36 don’t you?  Not far off of McDavid’s current pace

McDavid is great but he has a lot still to prove the be put up there with Orr, Wayne and Mario

you do realie that mcdavid has scored more ppg than lemiuex in that season in a cap world, with goalies that are about 1.5% better right?

lemiuex was 35 btw. jagr also scored 123 points in 80 games when he was 34. gretzky sccored 48, in 48 when was 33

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

you do realie that mcdavid has scored more ppg than lemiuex in that season in a cap world, with goalies that are about 1.5% better right?

if I can convince everyone to agree with you, will you stop?

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, bree2 said:

well i am back home from hospital , my fourth trip in the last month, i had pneumonia. i finally get to watch a game , and i am hoping for a big win, i know they can do it:canucks:

Hope you are doing well bree2

• Like 1
1 minute ago, rychicken said:

if I can convince everyone to agree with you, will you stop?

i hate when people get all players today are garbage and had it easy, they are as bad as the extreme haters of benning and green.

if they stop i will stop, i didn't start this crap.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I would argue that dead puck era or not, today’s goaltending is far superior now than it was then. 

Agreed with the last statement there though. He’s got to do a lot more to be firmly viewed in that class. But he’s only 24 and from what I’m seeing right now I would expect him to start flirting with 130 - 150 point regular seasons very soon. Again, I’m no McDavid fanboy and it pains me that he’s probably going to abuse us for years to come…but I really think he’s got a chance to be in that lofty group. I’d probably prefer if he didn’t become that because that’s not good for the Canucks long term.

Anyway….I CAN appreciate his skills as a player and not automatically fall into the “he sucks!”  trope that some around here fall into. But in saying that, I feel a bit dirty talking about an opposing player this much. I’m done.

• Hydration 2
2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Anyway….I CAN appreciate his skills as a player and not automatically fall into the “he sucks!”  trope that some around here fall into. But in saying that, I feel a bit dirty talking about an opposing player this much. I’m done.

For sure

I remember Crosby having a similar season 65+ points in 40ish games around a similar age before an injury and thinking the same, finally someone a step above 

those multiple 120+ point seasons never came though.  The potential is there but let’s not put the cart before the horse

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION