The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

im sorry why does mcdavid lose points? mijdsninouqidbnjuqbeoufdnbqouudahnouquehndfliuuqhanwefoidjqoeirrfnoiqejrnfpiqeo

Dead puck era = tighter checking = less shots = lower GAA between eras

1 minute ago, bbllpp said:

Dead puck era = tighter checking = less shots = lower GAA between eras

that just proves my point on how much better the goalies are. if defense was its best and it was so hard to score the goalies numbers should have been better.

also i have found your lies in your stats already, i assume your discounting certain goalies again?????? do you have a weird agenda to prove?

• Haha 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

that just proves my point on how much better the goalies are. if defense was its best and it was so hard to score the goalies numbers should have been better.

also i have found your lies in your stats already, i assume your discounting certain goalies again?????? do you have a weird agenda to prove?

Did not discount any goalie as I used team level sv % so no lies.  The data is there go figure it out 

5 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Did not discount any goalie as I used team level sv % so no lies.  The data is there go figure it out 

i already did,the east in the 2000-2001 season  let in on average 9% more goals.if lemiuex played in the west you would have a point, but he didn't. if anything mcdavid should have his numbers bumped not lemiuexs

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow oilers goaltenders  made us look like an actual threat 

but then our goaltender is actually why we won. 
40+ shots against in another demonstration of terrible team d. 
not sure how JB can justify protecting Pearson over Macewen who’s the only guy on our team that plays big,goes to the net ,stirs the pot,hes fast,hits,fights for himself and his teammates and is only going to get better.

I like Pearson but long term Mac is the guy I’d want. 

ep Miller boeser horvat lind gadovich macewen 

Oj hughes demko 

priority for protection 

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i already did,the east in the 2000-2001 season  let in on average 9% more goals.if lemiuex played in the west you would have a point, but he didn't. if anything mcdavid should have his numbers bumped not lemiuexs

To start, not once have I been negative towards Conner and have agreed that this season is comparable to a past great.  I have also stated that he’s got the potential to repeat and get up there in the realm of Wayne, Mario and Orr.  I honestly hope he does because it can only be good for the game. 

As for the numbers 00-01 east vs west doesn’t change 00-01 east vs 20-21 North

East GAA without Pit was 2.82

North Without Edm is 2.99

Thats a ratio of 1.06

For sv % 

.8991 for the east

.9017 for the north

thats a ratio of 0.997

the impact of save% is less than GAA and you’d need to fudge sv% a lot to adjust it to defensive systems between eras to make up the difference.  The uncertainties are in the noise and I still don’t get why can’t accept both achievements can be great and how conner has to repeat it multiple times to be held in the same light as Wayne, Mario and Orr.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, combover said:

Wow oilers goaltenders  made us look like an actual threat 

but then our goaltender is actually why we won. 
40+ shots against in another demonstration of terrible team d. 
not sure how JB can justify protecting Pearson over Macewen who’s the only guy on our team that plays big,goes to the net ,stirs the pot,hes fast,hits,fights for himself and his teammates and is only going to get better.

I like Pearson but long term Mac is the guy I’d want. 

ep Miller boeser horvat lind gadovich macewen 

Oj hughes demko 

priority for protection 

Because he cannot put up points or kill penalties and nobody is going to claim Macewen even if you put him on waiver wire let alone expansion draft.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I was ready to praise Vesey during our PK but then he went ahead and chipped the puck right on Smith's tape, who made that beautiful pass to spring the Oilers on a break that ended up in our net.  

Vesey might turn out to be one of those guys that coaches love but fans hate.  Don't see why he's getting the ice time besides the fact that I guess we got no one else. 

He's like Vanilla ice cream...you're like...ok...is there pie? sprinkles? sauce!?...WTF did you give me just vanilla ice cream for! And it's not even in a yummy waffle cone!!

Then you accept vanilla for what it is and just eat it anyways, cause it's still ice cream!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

2.76gaa in 2000-2001 * 9% is      in the east is 3.01 gaa in the penguins division its 3.04 gaa. in the west gaa is 2.63 gaa 

so considering he breakdown of games goes something like games in hier own division 24/82 29% east conference 40/82 49% west conferene 18/42 22%

3.04* 24=  72.96

3.01* 40=120.4

2.63* 18=54.23

add hem all up and divide by 82 you get 3.019 gaa. 

so know that you think it's fair to add/subtract points lets see what happens.

3.019 lemiuexs competition

2.991 mcdavids competition

=1.0093

96*1.0093= 97 or 1.87ppg

mcdavid in2000-2001 would have one extra point

lemiuex in 2020-2021 would have the same amount of points

most people don't actually do the math for me. i appreciate your help in showing just how good the goalies are of today.

again i have to  point out the cap advantage the penguins had. thatteam would be well over the 81.5 million of today. The top two players in the game and 3 ppg players. would be 41 million locked up in 5 players. not to mention kevin stevens, jan hrdina, kasparitis,slegr, snow,hedberg,ference

the forward group would likely be over 55 million and closer to 60million. the defence would be at least 25 million.  plus add at least 6 million for the goalies

lets not even look at the avalanche that year, or even talk about how many millions above 100 the oilers of the 80's would be.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

Because he cannot put up points or kill penalties and nobody is going to claim Macewen even if you put him on waiver wire let alone expansion draft.

Oh don't be so sure about that.

He's got an edge to him and that's worth something.  He isn't proven to "not" do anything at this stage...give him time.  I mean, the guy's played a total of 50 games over 3 years...I'm sure we haven't really seen his full potential yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

again i have to  point out the cap advantage the penguins had. thatteam would be well over the 81.5 million of today. The top two players in the game and 3 ppg players. would be 41 million locked up in 5 players. not to mention kevin stevens, jan hrdina, kasparitis,slegr, snow,hedberg,ference

Hopefuley you took the Oilers with Greztky, Kurri, Messier, Coffee, Anderson and all the other point a gamers into account. Talk about stacked non cap teams.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

im sorry why does mcdavid lose points? mijdsninouqidbnjuqbeoufdnbqouudahnouquehndfliuuqhanwefoidjqoeirrfnoiqejrnfpiqeo

this a joke right, because mcdavid faced better goalies he is punished or lemiuex is awarded?

It was just demonstrated that the goalies McDavid is facing now, are equal to the ones Mario was playing at 35.   Guess you weren't around for the dominator (Hasek), Belfour, Roy, Broduer etc - there was some amazing all time greats playing then.   If you really want to know historians have gone back to 1950 and recorded past greats - they line up well with the best of the past 20 years even with smaller equipment (or no masks lol)...Parent, Dryden, Bower, Sawchuk, Plante are ever bit as amazing as Price, Bobrovsky, Vasilievsky etc ... again it's really easy to compare the last 30-40 years just by whom played whom in their early prime and as a 30-40 year old.   McDavid isn't ever going to touch what Gretzky and Mario did - but he's demonstrating he might be this generations Crosby.   And i'd still rather have Crosby as his two way game has always been spot on. 

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hopefuley you took the Oilers with Greztky, Kurri, Messier, Coffee, Anderson and all the other point a gamers into account. Talk about stacked non cap teams.

Absolutely.  Thing is Mario and WG also did on mediocre teams .. Mario with a lot of issues and in his 30's ... same with WG just not as bad, people forget he almost retired due to his back in the early 90's...

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Thing is Mario and WG also did on mediocre teams .. Mario with a lot of issues and in his 30's ... same with WG just not as bad, people forget he almost retired due to his back in the early 90's...

Imagine scoring 130 points in a season and finishing 3rd in scoring like Dale Hawerchuk did.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’m going to say something that, at the start of the season I wouldn’t have anticipated EVER coming from my own lips.

I think I want Hamonic back next year.

Are you willing to give him term? Other teams likely will. Do you resign both Eddy and Hamonic?

19 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

2.76gaa in 2000-2001 * 9% is      in the east is 3.01 gaa in the penguins division its 3.04 gaa. in the west gaa is 2.63 gaa 

so considering he breakdown of games goes something like games in hier own division 24/82 29% east conference 40/82 49% west conferene 18/42 22%

3.04* 24=  72.96

3.01* 40=120.4

2.63* 18=54.23

add hem all up and divide by 82 you get 3.019 gaa. 

so know that you think it's fair to add/subtract points lets see what happens.

3.019 lemiuexs competition

2.991 mcdavids competition

=1.0093

96*1.0093= 97 or 1.87ppg

mcdavid in2000-2001 would have one extra point

lemiuex in 2020-2021 would have the same amount of points

most people don't actually do the math for me. i appreciate your help in showing just how good the goalies are of today.

the forward group would likely be over 55 million and closer to 60million. the defence would be at least 25 million.  plus add at least 6 million for the goalies

lets not even look at the avalanche that year, or even talk about how many millions above 100 the oilers of the 80's would be.

Using your method with the actual numbers (check your 9%) and going into the detail of breaking it down by 

Atlantic (no Pit) 960 GA 328 games gaa 2.927

Rest East 2328 GA 820 games gaa 2.839

West 3238 GA 1230 games 2.633 gaa

24*2.927=70.24

40*2.839=113.56

18*2.633=47.38

=231.2/82=2.819

fudge that to your narrative however you want.

source: 

Hockey-Reference.com

And what forward group? Straka? Lang? 

I give you Jagr, Mario and Kovalev (Comparable to TO’s big three)

After Hrdina’s 46 points at 6th they dropped done into the 20s in points.  Mario came out of retirement because they were struggling and Pittsburg was at risk of losing their team not for glory.

I do give you that the Cap killed Colorado 

27 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

To start, not once have I been negative towards Conner and have agreed that this season is comparable to a past great.  I have also stated that he’s got the potential to repeat and get up there in the realm of Wayne, Mario and Orr.  I honestly hope he does because it can only be good for the game. 

As for the numbers 00-01 east vs west doesn’t change 00-01 east vs 20-21 North

East GAA without Pit was 2.82

North Without Edm is 2.99

Thats a ratio of 1.06

For sv % 

.8991 for the east

.9017 for the north

thats a ratio of 0.997

the impact of save% is less than GAA and you’d need to fudge sv% a lot to adjust it to defensive systems between eras to make up the difference.  The uncertainties are in the noise and I still don’t get why can’t accept both achievements can be great and how conner has to repeat it multiple times to be held in the same light as Wayne, Mario and Orr.

after reviewing my math the gaa for lemiuexs division was 2.93gaa and the rest of the east 2.84 west was still 2.63

that still leaves a difference between 2000-2001 of 2.82 vs 2020-2021 north 2.99 or 1.06

that still leaves mcdavid with a very respectable 1.74 ppg once adjusted

if you adjusted this stat to the 85-86 season mcdavid would still put up 201 points/82gp  playing on a just ok team

goalies are  better today, than 40 years ago, and they continue to get better every year.

defensive structures were the biggest influence in the decline in goals from the 90's - 2010

powerplays have improved in the last  decade despite the goalies improvement and no real room for growth in defensive strategy.

this  is the first year in a while powerplays are becoming stagnant again, except for a handful of teams

the boston bruins  have a very good bunch of pk'ers and we need to copy thier strategies.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1