The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Are you willing to give him term? Other teams likely will. Do you resign both Eddy and Hamonic?

Hamonuc only wants to play in Western Canada though. He has already been on 2 of those 4 teams. Maybe he would consider Seattle acceptable too. 

Realistically he would be a good fit on either of the other 2 cdn teams and Seattle so he may get a multi year offer. 

To come back to Van they need to cap his value though. Cant overpay in dollars or term imo.

Edler needs to go unless 2 things happen.

1. He signs a 1 year cheap contract. 2 mil absolute max, and

2. The coaching staff play him less minutes and lower down the lineup to limit his weaknesses.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So I'm guessing at least 6 PP's for Edmonton on Saturday night. The NHL will want the ratings for the big "100 point" event to fall on a Saturday.

So true, Hockey Night from Toronto will definitely want to showcase that. Unfortunate that the Canucks always seem to be on the wrong end of a record. Please Hockey Gods, no more than 3 points for McDavid tomorrow

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

We're hanging by a very short thread no doubt. The boys are fighting and trying. Can we be a little less hatch and critical?

After Demkos first game he could barely complete a sentence post game interview gasping for air.

Hughs pants were falling down I assume to weight loss. This list goes on.

They came out hard for the first two TO games, but no energy, loss of muscle, no practice, crap schedule, loss of breath, etc, etc, caught up. 

Good fight men! MOST fans appreciate it! 

Exactly.  Love the team - love their effort - don't particularly care about the short term results.

They're a good team when they're healthy - they'll be a good team when they're healthy.

• Upvote 1

Oh just throw our whole team in jail, geez Watch Parros hand out a suspension while Wilson only pays a small fine

This league got a whole lot worse over the last 20 years. Wow,.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

after reviewing my math the gaa for lemiuexs division was 2.93gaa and the rest of the east 2.84 west was still 2.63

that still leaves a difference between 2000-2001 of 2.82 vs 2020-2021 north 2.99 or 1.06

that still leaves mcdavid with a very respectable 1.74 ppg once adjusted

if you adjusted this stat to the 85-86 season mcdavid would still put up 201 points/82gp  playing on a just ok team

goalies are  better today, than 40 years ago, and they continue to get better every year.

defensive structures were the biggest influence in the decline in goals from the 90's - 2010

powerplays have improved in the last  decade despite the goalies improvement and no real room for growth in defensive strategy.

this  is the first year in a while powerplays are becoming stagnant again, except for a handful of teams

the boston bruins  have a very good bunch of pk'ers and we need to copy thier strategies.

How can you say that if you weren't alive back then?   It's like invalidating what Howe achieved.   Or Bobby Hull.   McDavid doesn't have to deal with the dead puck era obstruction either.   Might as well start on Bure or Selanne next.   Wonder how they would do on today's game.   Goalies systems are better but only marginally sp wise ... those guys were incredible athletes too which you don't seem to get.   All the stars  from past eras would do just fine in today's game.   Good grief.   WG and Mario were so much better then the tier down from them that McDavid would have to have 70-100% more points then the next level guys.   He hasn't done that.   

Guess Niedermayer would be like Edler right?  Didn't they almost play at the same time?   Jagr and Iginla eventually aged out ... but we're still beating a lot of guys that play today still in their mid to late 30's... 

Go watch an hour of Mario and Lindros highlights to see what they had to do to play back then.   Players were bigger, meaner and playoff games now are called more then what regular season games used too.   McDavid would maybe be at the same level as Yzerman.   Big maybe.   Wasn't Thornton getting 120 or so points when Jagr was?   In the dead puck era.   Rodeo compared to today. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

To start, not once have I been negative towards Conner and have agreed that this season is comparable to a past great.  I have also stated that he’s got the potential to repeat and get up there in the realm of Wayne, Mario and Orr.  I honestly hope he does because it can only be good for the game. 

As for the numbers 00-01 east vs west doesn’t change 00-01 east vs 20-21 North

East GAA without Pit was 2.82

North Without Edm is 2.99

Thats a ratio of 1.06

For sv % 

.8991 for the east

.9017 for the north

thats a ratio of 0.997

the impact of save% is less than GAA and you’d need to fudge sv% a lot to adjust it to defensive systems between eras to make up the difference.  The uncertainties are in the noise and I still don’t get why can’t accept both achievements can be great and how conner has to repeat it multiple times to be held in the same light as Wayne, Mario and Orr.

nah i wouldn't rank him up thier either, yet. it's a good start to a conversation though.

gretzky was so great because he saw the game differently. he literally changed how people scored. he also worked for it his entire life perfecting his skills playing against bigger players for the majority of his youth

lemiuex was so great because he was a giant man, with arguably the best skills of all time. he could not be stopped.

don't know much about orr, but he also changed the game

crosby apparently changed the game too, thier was a book written about it.

mcdavid is so good because he utilizes every edge and stride to move from point a to point b better than anyone ever in the game. he's basically a bigger faster crosby.

i honestly don't see room for much improvement until a player the size of lemiuex puts it all together again.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How can you say that if you weren't alive back then?   It's like invalidating what Howe achieved.   Or Bobby Hull.   McDavid doesn't have to deal with the dead puck era obstruction either.   Might as well start on Bure or Selanne next.   Wonder how they would do on today's game.   Goalies systems are better but only marginally sp wise ... those guys were incredible athletes too which you don't seem to get.   All the stars  from past eras would do just fine in today's game.   Good grief.   WG and Mario were so much better then the tier down from them that McDavid would have to have 70-100% more points then the next level guys.   He hasn't done that.   

Guess Niedermayer would be like Edler right?  Didn't they almost play at the same time?   Jagr and Iginla eventually aged out ... but we're still beating a lot of guys that play today still in their mid to late 30's... 

hey man your the one that started this whole thing.......... ccomparing mcdavid to hawerchuk and stastny. you do you though

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

after reviewing my math the gaa for lemiuexs division was 2.93gaa and the rest of the east 2.84 west was still 2.63

that still leaves a difference between 2000-2001 of 2.82 vs 2020-2021 north 2.99 or 1.06

that still leaves mcdavid with a very respectable 1.74 ppg once adjusted

if you adjusted this stat to the 85-86 season mcdavid would still put up 201 points/82gp  playing on a just ok team

goalies are  better today, than 40 years ago, and they continue to get better every year.

defensive structures were the biggest influence in the decline in goals from the 90's - 2010

powerplays have improved in the last  decade despite the goalies improvement and no real room for growth in defensive strategy.

this  is the first year in a while powerplays are becoming stagnant again, except for a handful of teams

the boston bruins  have a very good bunch of pk'ers and we need to copy thier strategies.

We’ve come into alignment ::D

First mega star level year since crosby’s 66 in 41 back in 10-11.  That’s to be celebrated 

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, gurn said:

Imagine scoring 130 points in a season and finishing 3rd in scoring like Dale Hawerchuk did.

Yep why i used him as a comp.   Stastny and Hawerchuk in a way are this generations Crosby and Ovi.   Stastny  came in late.   Gretzky and Mario and Orr deserve a special pantheon.   Nobody has come close yet.   

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

hey man your the one that started this whole thing.......... ccomparing mcdavid to hawerchuk and stastny. you do you though

Yes i am.   As far as generational players, they deserve props ... neither own a cup.  McDavid hasn't either - both were the next best in WG generation.  McDavid and Draisatl are awesome players but so were they.   But let's wait and see.   Until McDavid scores 70-100% more then the next tier .. he's not Mario or WG.   And i would argue until i'm blue in the face that today's game is much much tamer then it was back then because it for sure is.   You simply can't comment, by looking at stats - even though they for sure support it anyways, unless you were there.   Truly i'm going to ask again, go spend an hour looking at Lindros and Mario highlights (WG why bother he's so much better it's not even worth the air) and tell me honesty how you'd think McDavid would do with a guy on his back, another one hooking him and another coming in to hit him.

Id much rather build a team around Lindros then McDavid.   He'd have a field day with the guys playing today.

Edited by IBatch

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So I'm guessing at least 6 PP's for Edmonton on Saturday night. The NHL will want the ratings for the big "100 point" event to fall on a Saturday.

Why even watch this sport if you think its all rigged. Why put yourself thru this.. 

If I thought a sport I watched was rigged I'd move on to another sport. 

• Like 1