The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes i am.   As far as generational players, they deserve props ... neither own a cup.  McDavid hasn't either - both were the next best in WG generation.  McDavid and Draisatl are awesome players but so were they.   But let's wait and see.   Until McDavid scores 70-100% more then the next tier .. he's not Mario or WG.   And i would argue until i'm blue in the face that today's game is much much tamer then it was back then because it for sure is.   You simply can't comment, by looking at stats - even though they for sure support it anyways, unless you were there.   Truly i'm going to ask again, go spend an hour looking at Lindros and Mario highlights (WG why bother he's so much better it's not even worth the air) and tell me honesty how you'd think McDavid would do with a guy on his back, another one hooking him and another coming in to hit him.

Id much rather build a team around Lindros then McDavid.   He'd have a field day with the guys playing today.

There could not have been anything in hockey more terrifying than having Bobby Hull flying down the wing ready to let loose his slap shot. The goalies of that era did not have masks. Plante wore one in practice and when he said he would wear one in a game he nearly got canned. In his prime does anyone really know how hard Hull shot the puck? We hardly ever got to see him play unless it was playoffs. Chicago was such a bad org he pretty much carried them to CUP status. 

When Nurse grabbed MacEwan's pants to take him down he lost any respect I had for him. Combine that with the fact that he was throwing punches while Mac wa falt on his back on the ice. Perhaps DOPS will look at the whole picture? 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
Just now, Boudrias said:

When Nurse grabbed MacEwan's pants to take him down he lost any respect I had for him. Combine that with the fact that he was throwing punches while Mac wa falt on his back on the ice. Perhaps DOPS will look at the whole picture? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There could not have been anything in hockey more terrifying than having Bobby Hull flying down the wing ready to let loose his slap shot. The goalies of that era did not have masks. Plante wore one in practice and when he said he would wear one in a game he nearly got canned. In his prime does anyone really know how hard Hull shot the puck? We hardly ever got to see him play unless it was playoffs. Chicago was such a bad org he pretty much carried them to CUP status. 

Plante started wearing one in 1959, Hull was barely cutting his teeth but your right curving the stick was a big change. Didn't take long for the rest to follow suit.   Boi thinks the internet age makes better athletes.  Bobby Hull is still considered one of the top ten all-time fastest skaters ever.   Good grief.   Might as well start saying boxers are better too.  They are not. 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Plante started wearing one in 1959, Hull was barely cutting his teeth but your right curving the stick was a big change. Didn't take long for the rest to follow suit.   Boi thinks the internet age makes better athletes.  Bobby Hull is still considered one of the top ten all-time fastest skaters ever.   Good grief.   Might as well start saying boxers are better too.  They are not. 

They were interviewing Phil Esposito years ago. He was stating 1:00 minute is long for a shift now. But when he was playing "I was just getting warmed up at 1:00!"

It was basically 12 forwards, 4 defenceman, and 1 goalie. Now it's 15 forwards, 6 defencemen, and two goalies. He said he probably couldn't play the game the way it's played now. So it is hard to compare eras. 

• Vintage 1
51 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

good thing gretzky agrees with me. 

no one will ever score 250 bijillion points. in a season because he goalies are in another eicholon and actual team defense is played nowadays.

hockey if the fastest growing sport in the world, more young kids playing means more nhl quality players and teams.

your right there was some stacked teams back in the 80's but that has nothing to do with how good of an athlete they are.

players are bigger faster stronger more skilled and understand the game better, thanks to the internet and technology.

again look at individual sports not too many records are held from the 80's

you could drop the teams down to 21 and there still wouldn't be 10-12 goal games, because it's so hard to gain entry into the offensive zone with possession.

until the older folk realize how much the game changed i will continue to mock and trash the 80's defensive structure's.

you have a major disillusionment to how great players and defensive strategies are today. 

You have no idea what your talking about, because you weren't alive back then.   It's why i don't mock the 40-60's ... the game isn't the same Boi.   You will never convince me that the athletes are better today.   The leagues diluted talent.  Only thing i will agree on is teams can't load up anymore.  That's about it.   And like i've said over and over again, just look at what the older players managed in the 2000's.   Zubov scored 73 points at 37 after the lockout after years of 50 ish points.   Take any star or superstar from the 80-90's and put them on the ice today and McJesus would have a run for his money.   Hull, Yzerman, Gretzky, Mario, Hawerchuk, Stastny, Bure, Lindros, Messier (hate to say it but i doubt McDavid will score 90 plus points at 34/35 back then), Coffey, Potvin, Selanne, Mogilny, Karayi, Sakic, Sundin etc etc etc.   Federov.   Sure i missed some or yeah Jagr.   Yes he's good.   If you lived in the 80's maybe you'd get it. It was a decade of excess including the gym.   These guys were ripped to shreds.  But of course because you can't see that it must not be true. 

• Hydration 1
33 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

There is no chance that hockey is the fastest growing sport in the world. Hockey is marketed terribly, I don’t even think it’s one of the core 4 sports in North America anymore lol. 

hockey is the second most played in the world next to soccer, and womens hockey is the fastest growing sport in the world.

hockey is the third most popular with fans in the world soccer,cricket,hockey.

north america is not the center of the universe

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Nothing for Nurse but Mac gets a hearing for kneeing. Sounds like thw DOP is on top of their game.

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

hockey is the second most played in the world next to soccer, and womens hockey is the fastest growing sport in the world.

This is just false, but okay. Where are you getting this info from lol. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They were interviewing Phil Esposito years ago. He was stating 1:00 minute is long for a shift now. But when he was playing "I was just getting warmed up at 1:00!"

It was basically 12 forwards, 4 defenceman, and 1 goalie. Now it's 15 forwards, 6 defencemen, and two goalies. He said he probably couldn't play the game the way it's played now. So it is hard to compare eras. 

The only thing that's hard about comparing eras is how the games changed.   McDavid getting manhandled in the 70-90's how does he fair?  Sure Bobby Clark isn't as skilled but he didn't ever stop being good, turned into a Selke type later in his career.   And didn't get murdered even though he took some serious damage.   Game was so much different before the instigator, before bench clearing brawls were banned, and before the goon squad came in during the mid 90's until the lockout.   Guys like Hatcher and Ludwig were gold during the dead puck era but pretty ordinary after.   I sound like a broken record but WG and Mario and Yzerman and Forsberg and Sakic and Sundin and Jagr and Selanne played in several decades.

Personally i feel that the post lockout rules make it really easy on stars.   With the exception of a few like Crosby who never had a big goon watching over him.  
Now the league is the big brother and does a pretty bad job of it really.   All over the board.  Stevens career would have been cut short doing his perfectly legal hits.    Thornton, Iginla, Joe N as well.   I think the early 2000's still had a lot of skill.  Since then the league has completely watered it down, even without goons and enforcers.   The team we have right now would be absolutely murdered by any team pre 2010 we've had.   Ground to dust.   How is that better?    The way the league is going is like all-star games were played in the 80's.   Close to women's hockey which is also awesome.   But not the same.   At least this schedule and some rivalries/series has brought back some of that.   If we asked Bettman id bet his ultimate goal is to have a 32 league in europe that plays the one we have now for the cup.    The league has grown faster then the sport has.    At least the US has taken it more seriously that's a big country and that's a result of the 1980 Olympics and the Canada cup in 96 and the Gretzky factor (all the new cali-teams).   

There is a reason why hockey experts and historians call the 80's and early 90's the golden era of hockey.   Where is the Wendel Clark's, the Doug Gilmours ( Bobby Clark 2.0), the Tochett's, Neely's etc.   People never think of Coffey as a tough guy, but today he'd be considered a total goon.  The sport had lost some of its heart and soul.   Price i suppose to be paid for progress. 

• Hydration 1
12 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Sure isn't.  Doesn't even make the top ten as far as membership goes.   There is a difference between field hockey and ice hockey which is the subject. 

List as followed and don't be upset:

Soccer

Badminton 

FIELD Hockey 

Volleyball

Basketball

Tennis 

Cricket 

Table Tennis (ping-pong lol)

Baseball

Golf

Think about it for a minute.   How accessible is this sport in temperate and tropical countries?  And how much does it cost to play for kids compared to these other sports?  Ice hockey is a northern country sport too.  2 Billion Chinese and folks from India ... how many rinks?   Outside of Canada, Russia the old eastern block and scandinavia its just not that popular. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You have no idea what your talking about, because you weren't alive back then.   It's why i don't mock the 40-60's ... the game isn't the same Boi.   You will never convince me that the athletes are better today.   The leagues diluted talent.  Only thing i will agree on is teams can't load up anymore.  That's about it.   And like i've said over and over again, just look at what the older players managed in the 2000's.   Zubov scored 73 points at 37 after the lockout after years of 50 ish points.   Take any star or superstar from the 80-90's and put them on the ice today and McJesus would have a run for his money.   Hull, Yzerman, Gretzky, Mario, Hawerchuk, Stastny, Bure, Lindros, Messier (hate to say it but i doubt McDavid will score 90 plus points at 34/35 back then), Coffey, Potvin, Selanne, Mogilny, Karayi, Sakic, Sundin etc etc etc.   Federov.   Sure i missed some or yeah Jagr.   Yes he's good.   If you lived in the 80's maybe you'd get it. It was a decade of excess including the gym.   These guys were ripped to shreds.  But of course because you can't see that it must not be true. 

your three years older than me. :P i do remember most of my friends were all bigger than thier fathers by the time they reached 18

note i didn't read any of these articles I just know they are filled with records from today.

don't feel so bad that sports are played with more skill by bigger faster and with more understanding. it happens in all sports.

https://guinnessworldrecords.com/records/showcase/sports-and-strength

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_records_in_athletics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_records_in_swimming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_Olympic_weightlifting#:~:text= Event ,11 April 2021 22 more rows

https://www.livestrong.com/article/542877-the-average-height-of-humans-over-time/

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

This is just false, but okay. Where are you getting this info from lol. 

A quick internet search will show that it's the fourth most popular sport, this also includes field hockey.

However, revenue generated from hockey isn't in the top.

When you take into account Europe and how many pro leagues there are it starts to make sense, and even China and some middle East countries are getting in on hockey.

Football, while generating a ton of revenue isn't even as popular as table tennis.

Heres the website if you would care to do some research

https://www.ballerstatus.com/2021/01/06/top-10-most-watched-sports-in-the-world-today/

1 minute ago, Wanless said:

A quick internet search will show that it's the fourth most popular sport, this also includes field hockey.

However, revenue generated from hockey isn't in the top.

When you take into account Europe and how many pro leagues there are it starts to make sense, and even China and some middle East countries are getting in on hockey.

Football, while generating a ton of revenue isn't even as popular as table tennis.

Heres the website if you would care to do some research

https://www.ballerstatus.com/2021/01/06/top-10-most-watched-sports-in-the-world-today/

If you’re including field hockey, then sure. But this is an ice hockey forum. If hockey is 4th in world popularity, then I’ll guess that field hockey makes a large majority of that. 

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure isn't.  Doesn't even make the top ten as far as membership goes.   There is a difference between field hockey and ice hockey which is the subject. 

Soccer

Badminton 

FIELD Hockey 

Volleyball

Basketball

Tennis 

Cricket 

Baseball

Golf

Think about it for a minute.   How accessible is this sport in temperate and tropical countries?  And how much does it cost to play for kids compared to these other sports?  Ice hockey is a northern country sport too.  2 Billion Chinese and folks from India ... how many rinks?   Outside of Canada, Russia the old eastern block and scandinavia its just not that popular. 

ah your a homer they inlude them together, some people/countries arn't rich enough to play ice hockey. but they know how to play it. we played gym hockey all the time in school it was still hockey with a stick a net and a goalie.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Soccer

Badminton 

FIELD Hockey 

Volleyball

Basketball

Tennis 

Cricket 

Baseball

Golf

Thank you hahaha

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

That not ice hockey lol. Nice try though!

don't matter. if people were rich enough they would play ice hockey more. its the exact same game

• Haha 1