The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers fire president John Davidson, GM Jeff Gorton; name Chris Drury as new president & GM

Rate this topic

47 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m with the Rangers owner on this one. Parros did not have the credibility for his position. In fact, he has the opposite for this job. His resume was being a goon, a player whose sole mission was to inflict  violence onto other players and beat them senseless to the ground.

By him being there, it puts the integrity of the position into disrepute and brings upon it absolutely no legitimacy. Case in point with the most recent poor decision. He wouldn’t have dared act this way when Wilson did his antics to the Bruins, only because Jeremy Jacobs is a much bigger power player in the NHL, more so than any other owner.

You are arguing two different and mutually exclusive things at the same time.

If your issue is Parros being qualified and needing to be fired, the Rangers owner did the absolute wrong thing.

Bettman could have literally been driving to the office with the intention of firing Parros, but once that statement came out, it guaranteed job security for Parros.  For just reasons of optics, Bettman  can’t fire him at the urging of one angry team owner and at the same time show that making public statements embarrassing the league is going to be behaviour that is rewarded.

If you think the owner needed to make a public statement showing he supports players... then a prepared media statement aimed mainly at the league and not Wilson was also not very effective.  He should have gotten in front of a camera and gone on full tilt.

Also, go look at people that have been in charge of DoPS... they have pretty much all been guys who played on the wrong side of the rules.

• RoughGame 1

48 minutes ago, Provost said:

If your issue is Parros being qualified and needing to be fired, the Rangers owner did the absolute wrong thing.

Bettman could have literally been driving to the office with the intention of firing Parros, but once that statement came out, it guaranteed job security for Parros.  For just reasons of optics, Bettman  can’t fire him at the urging of one angry team owner and at the same time show that making public statements embarrassing the league is going to be behaviour that is rewarded.

If you think the owner needed to make a public statement showing he supports players... then a prepared media statement aimed mainly at the league and not Wilson was also not very effective.  He should have gotten in front of a camera and gone on full tilt.

Also, go look at people that have been in charge of DoPS... they have pretty much all been guys who played on the wrong side of the rules.

I don’t know why you have to point out that I’m arguing 2 different things. That’s pretty obvious.

I disagree again with you. You are assuming that there are other ways to ensure the removal of Parros. You’re assuming that this owner didn’t already have conversations. Do you not realize that these owners can contact Bettman at any time? It’s obvious that he was not pleased with his response and felt like he needed to say what he said. Good on him. Yes it may likely put Bettman’s back up but whatever. It may have a benefit of keeping Parros in check for future rulings. 

As for previous sitting members in this position of player safety, that is irrelevant for the here and now. It’s time for folks to fill this spot that are not hypocritical and had good sportsmanship in their previous careers. Parros was a goon and should never have been in this position. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Well well...first set of firings ....more to come I imagine....I would love to see a similar headline in the Province...."GM Benning moved sideways....Head Coach Green and assistants Brown and Baumgartner..FIRED...

1 hour ago, Provost said:

...or if they were going to fire him anyway, they could've done so, WHILE supporting New York's position.

You are running under the assumption that the NHL can't look like they are 'bowing under pressure'. Clearly they didn't feel that way when Miller talked to the Media. Or Robin Lehner. Both these guys had legitimate reasons and they used their voices to express discontent.

Nah. The only reason Parros keeps his job is because the NHL lets him have it. They could have EASILY fired Parros and gotten another yes puppet to satisfy one owner. Easily. If all it takes is a firing to shut up someone, they might do it to get the heat off them.

Now the issue is full blown stupid for the NHL.

• Cheers 1

Kind of irritates me. A team speak out and gets massive support from fans and the deaf owners just fire people without even realizing how much fans (their customers) loved what they saw.

Amazes me how out of touch some owners can be.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of irritates me. A team speak out and gets massive support from fans and the deaf owners just fire people without even realizing how much fans (their customers) loved what they saw.

It sounds like you are mistaking what happened.

The owner put out the statement, not the  fired GM and President.

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

• Thanks 1

Probably didnt go over too well that they named Parros directly in their memo calling for his job and these two distanced themselves.  Also Dolan is allergic to winning, sure he'll find a way to screw the Knicks and well now the Rangers.

Edited by amplified0ne

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

It sounds like you are mistaking what happened.

The owner put out the statement, not the  fired GM and President.

Oh, really? That would actually surprise me.

There's no excuse anymore.  Two experienced professionals that can come in and do a job.

If I'm FA, I'm telling Jim and John they can stay in Texas because they won't be needed in Vancouver any longer.

• RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, Kage17 said:

I never post on this board but I will this time. That is absolutely disgusting on the Rangers and obviously the NHL’s behalf. You speak out against us we will fire you, talk about a Communist regime.

If I’m the Rangers players etc I boycott the rest of their games.

Revenge Of The Sith Prequel GIF

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

There's no excuse anymore.  Two experienced professionals that can come in and do a job.

If I'm FA, I'm telling Jim and John they can stay in Texas because they won't be needed in Vancouver any longer.

Yeah, two guys that sold out their players and owner because they weren't willing to man up and stand up to a corrupt league is exactly what we need here.  How the hell do you expect our players to have each others backs if the GM isn't enough of a man to have theirs?

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

That makes me uneasy as to whether or not they'll stand up to the league when the DOPS is screwing us and corrupt refs are being airlifted in to rig playoff series.  Hard pass if they lack the integrity to stand by their franchise finally doing the right thing and exposing the corruption in the NHL.

have the Canucks ever?

did we stand up for Burrows?

Sedin?

Raymond?

Rome?

Sestito?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Burrows at least had the balls to stand up to Auger and had Rotten Ronnie criminally slander him on HNIC as a result.

and where was the team behind him?

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pretty sure at least management weren't trying to distance themselves from his comments.

IIRC, the Canucks refused interviews with CBC the week after that segment aired:

The Vancouver Canucks plan to meet with staff of the CBC's Hockey Night in Canada over criticism of Alex Burrows, general manager Mike Gillis said Tuesday.

Gillis wouldn't say what approach the Canucks will take after host Ron MacLean criticized the Canucks winger after he said NHL referee Stephane Auger was out to get him.

"I really don't want to say what the factors are that we're considering," Gillis said as he watched the Canucks practise. "We're going to meet with them and we're going to see what their reaction is and go from there."

The Canucks have solidly backed Burrows and refused CBC interview requests during Saturday night's 5-1 win over the Chicago Blackhawks as a form of protest.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/canucks-hnic-to-meet-over-criticisms-1.869089

• Cheers 1