The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers fire president John Davidson, GM Jeff Gorton; name Chris Drury as new president & GM

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Haha a buddy of mine met him, i think at a hockeyville thing and did just that. Recorded it on his phone too lol

McLean was like a stammering idiot that just got throat punched.

You just made my day bud!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

A rebuild involving a 10 million Panarin.  Confusing really.

On a 7 year contract.  They saw that their window would open while he would still be effective. Not easy to acquire or draft/develop elite talent.  The roster has to be constructed so that the pieces are there when the window truly opens up.  

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Had I been a Rags fan I would have loved the statement. Even though I agree with it in its entirety I think the last line pushed the league too far.

23D725BC-3E48-492A-9F1E-2183083E2102.jpeg

I don't think the last line was enough.  Parros should be facing criminal charges for negligence.  His refusal to conduct himself appropriately is putting the health and safety of players in jeopardy.  Firing that corrupt dirtbag is the least that an honest league would be doing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Guess who’s trying to make sure everyone knows he’s available. I couldn’t find the other tweet but apparently in answer to a question he replied that he had always let it be known that he was always ready to help in whatever capacity.

4E7E2388-FD32-4D17-B2DB-E9FE32829FFE.jpeg

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Guess who’s trying to make sure everyone knows he’s available. I couldn’t find the other tweet but apparently in answer to a question he replied that he had always let it be known that he was always ready to help in whatever capacity.

4E7E2388-FD32-4D17-B2DB-E9FE32829FFE.jpeg

Wish he'd been willing to help the Canucks win while he was disgracing the franchise with his pitiful excuse for effort and his extreme character issues off the ice. 

• Vintage 3

9 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Look at his interference with respect to the New York Knicks.  That franchise has been irrelevant for many decades now I think.

They are having a good season this year after all those painful years.

Knicks are exciting this year and have a good GM and coach but Dolan will mess it up as all selfish owners do. give it time.

Total mismanagement of such a big brand for years.

Edited by BENN
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

On a 7 year contract.  They saw that their window would open while he would still be effective. Not easy to acquire or draft/develop elite talent.  The roster has to be constructed so that the pieces are there when the window truly opens up.  

We can say that about any team signing stars to long term, expensive contracts. Teams only 'rebuild' when they underachieve from their initial goals, so they scavenge from their existing parts, especially when a new GM is put in.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The fact that Davidson and Gorton wanted no part of that is a plus for me to get them in Vancouver. Its the unpopular play but the smart one. Poking the bear (the nhl powers that be) never ends well.

Them being fired has less to do with that incident and everything to do with Chris Drury machinations behind the scenes. It was obvious from day 1.

Are you serious?

How is it "smart"? Putting up with stuff - ala Sedins - got the Canucks nowhere. We have freaking history to tell us that. There is no "smart" play that you're implying.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are you serious?

How is it "smart"? Putting up with stuff - ala Sedins - got the Canucks nowhere. We have freaking history to tell us that. There is no "smart" play that you're implying.

1. If the Rangers truly wanted Parros fired over it, this reactive statement from their owner assured he would not be. Do you really think the NHL would fire him after that? No way are they going to give off the optics that a loudmouth owner shooting his mouth off to the press was rewarded by firing a top league official.

2. Presidents and GMs have to work on a daily basis with NHL executives. $&!#ting on them publicly doesnt help them maintain that working relationship.

3. The Canucks tried bitching about the refs, the league etc. A decade later it is still being held against them. Still think its a good idea for GMs to $&!# on people that have a very wide berth of authority to punish them?

4. Dolan is an absolute tool. This statement is something fans mouth off like. Not team owners. Parros is an inconsistent clown in his role with DPS. The whole department is a joke. But he and it are not going anywhere. Its one of the leagues most efficient ways of impacting results and drumming up controversy (read interest) in hockey. Its the golden goose to them.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We can say that about any team signing stars to long term, expensive contracts. Teams only 'rebuild' when they underachieve from their initial goals, so they scavenge from their existing parts, especially when a new GM is put in.

Rangers sent out a letter at the 2018 TDL announcing their rebuild.  They were not yet out of the post-season but realized that their roster was just not good enough to win it all.  They sold what they could and started over. Panarin was signed as part of the rebuild phase.  

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are you serious?

I can't believe I am going to agree with @wallstreetamigo but he is right. We as fans love this kind of statement but it is totally counter productive when the target can target you back ten fold without any repercussion.

The league can in theory make the rangers forfeit their first round pick this year over this statement and the rangers will have zero recourse to it. The fanbase would throw a tantrum but as history showed again and again, the fans will come back and it will mostly hurt the rangers anyways so it is like a bonus for the league. They should have just left the statement at they are disappointed and do not agree with the DoPS decision.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

I can't believe I am going to agree with @wallstreetamigo but he is right. We as fans love this kind of statement but it is totally counter productive when the target can target you back ten fold without any repercussion.

The league can in theory make the rangers forfeit their first round pick this year over this statement and the rangers will have zero recourse to it. The fanbase would throw a tantrum but as history showed again and again, the fans will come back and it will mostly hurt the rangers anyways so it is like a bonus for the league. They should have just left the statement at they are disappointed and do agree with the DoPS decision.

Thanks? I think lol

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

The league can in theory make the rangers forfeit their first round pick this year over this statement and the rangers will have zero recourse to it. The fanbase would throw a tantrum but as history showed again and again, the fans will come back and it will mostly hurt the rangers anyways so it is like a bonus for the league. They should have just left the statement at they are disappointed and do not agree with the DoPS decision.

Nah. The NHL won't do that. They took away and gave back New Jersey's first round pick when NJ blatantly circumvented the cap system.

It's clear that NHL has double standards with how they treat teams.

Lehner speaking out had no repercussions. Miller didn't either. But I strongly believe that the next player who speaks up against the NHL will be given a walloping.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

Exactly as I posted before... the only thing that statement would possibly result in, is ensuring job security for Parros.  The story from insiders now say that it played out precisely as I anticipated it would.

The peanut gallery making snarky comments continues to be shown to be silly.... it must get tiring for them.

Rangers’ expensive statement galvanized support for Parros

https://www.tsn.ca/1.1635561.1620328398

Edited by Provost

14 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

4. Dolan is an absolute tool. This statement is something fans mouth off like. Not team owners. Parros is an inconsistent clown in his role with DPS. The whole department is a joke. But he and it are not going anywhere. Its one of the leagues most efficient ways of impacting results and drumming up controversy (read interest) in hockey. Its the golden goose to them.

So you agree that the DOPS is engaged in match-fixing.  While one team taking issue with it won't fix the issue, if a few teams in short succession call out the the league, there could be potential for the NHLPA to step in and insist on taking charge since the NHL refuses to cut out the corruption and fines whistleblowers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So you agree that the DOPS is engaged in match-fixing.  While one team taking issue with it won't fix the issue, if a few teams in short succession call out the the league, there could be potential for the NHLPA to step in and insist on taking charge since the NHL refuses to cut out the corruption and fines whistleblowers.

Not match fixing. They definitely tilt the ice for their own reasons. 

Did you read that article on TSN? It basically parroted what I have been saying. Other owners and GM's have scrambled to express their disdain for how Dolan handled this.

The rangers got hit with a massive fine. The next team will get a bigger one, then a bigger one. 

The NHLPA is just as big a reason player fines and discipline are garbage. Dont count on them to ride to the rescue here. They arent going to advocate for MORE negative impact to their players.

The reality is the NHL holds all the cards here. Nothing will change unless they decide it does, no matter how many angry owners lash out at them.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not match fixing. They definitely tilt the ice for their own reasons. 

Did you read that article on TSN? It basically parroted what I have been saying. Other owners and GM's have scrambled to express their disdain for how Dolan handled this.

The rangers got hit with a massive fine. The next team will get a bigger one, then a bigger one. 

The NHLPA is just as big a reason player fines and discipline are garbage. Dont count on them to ride to the rescue here. They arent going to advocate for MORE negative impact to their players.

The reality is the NHL holds all the cards here. Nothing will change unless they decide it does, no matter how many angry owners lash out at them.

Sadly, it appears you're right.  I still admire Dolan for having the integrity to at least try to fix the issue, but without the other owners and GMs growing a pair, we are doomed to have the NHL continue down the path of emulating the WWE.

Dolan is an ingrate.

Prototypical asshat.

I hope he gets what he deserves - the Florida Panthers v2.0  (after they decided to shaft Tallon and Gallant).

Bring in the smarmy, Dolan.

Unfortunately, whether he scapegoated them or not, those two set up that franchise to succeed long term - it'll take a virtual auto-pilot at this point for that group to uptick.  Lafreniere and Kakko are still green - haven't even begun to drive it yet.

If anyone can fk that up, Dolan's a good candidate - top down (knee) jerk.