The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shayne Gostisbehere suspended 2 games

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

DoPS need to be a thing of the past. The responsibility needs to go to an independent third party with equal financing from the league and the pa. 

That is an excellent idea. Keeps everybody honest. Due to those two reasons and the fact that this is the NHL we're talking about, it'll never happen. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

DoPS need to be a thing of the past. The responsibility needs to go to an independent third party with equal financing from the league and the pa. 

Great idea, but it won't be effective unless the CBA sections which deal with fines/suspensions are totally overhauled.  

People are ragging on Parros and the DoPS because of the weak-sauce fine he gave out but they fail to understand that was the most that Wilson could've been fined under the rules of the CBA (yes, I understand that suspensions are a different matter and that ball was clearly dropped too). 

If we want the fines to be meaningful and the suspensions to be more than a 'slap on the wrist' you're going to have to talk the majority of NHL players who make up the NHLPA to agree to willingly be open to massive fines/suspensions at the hands of a third party (not to mention you'd have to convince the majority of NHL owners to agree to the increased suspensions keeping in mind their bottom line is effected if/when key players are out of the line-up).   I'm guessing if they were amenable to that idea it'd would've already happened a while ago so I wouldn't hold my breath on the NHLPA/NHL BOG agreeing to any significant changes in that section of the CBA.

Yes, as fans we see it as clear injustice - but to the NHLPA/NHL BOG the system protects their own interests sadly and they control the system. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

but to the NHLPA/NHL BOG the system protects their own interests sadly and they control the system. 

To a point, but how long will Panarin be out?  Doesn't matter this year for the Rangers, since they are out of the playoffs, but if he suffered a decent concussion out of that (an easy outcome), he's a high-level player on a big-market team whose career could be significantly impacted going forward.  I don't see anyone's interests being protected here, aside from Wilson's.  IMO there is no reason for Wilson to not miss out on the rest of the season plus the first round at a minimum.  I know you get that, and we're aligned for the most part.  It's just sad this BS continues week after week.

As far as Ghost goes, seems like a decent suspension for a dumb, classless play.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Kragar said:

To a point, but how long will Panarin be out?  Doesn't matter this year for the Rangers, since they are out of the playoffs, but if he suffered a decent concussion out of that (an easy outcome), he's a high-level player on a big-market team whose career could be significantly impacted going forward.  I don't see anyone's interests being protected here, aside from Wilson's.  IMO there is no reason for Wilson to not miss out on the rest of the season plus the first round at a minimum.  I know you get that, and we're aligned for the most part.  It's just sad this BS continues week after week.

As far as Ghost goes, seems like a decent suspension for a dumb, classless play.

All valid points.  I would add though, that in addition to Wilson's interests being protected one could easily argue that both the interests of the Capitals team and their owner Ted Leonsis are being protected as well since they are in no danger of losing the services of Wilson on the eve of the start of the playoffs - and say what you want about Wilson - there is zero doubt that when he is in the line-up he increases the Capitals chances of winning. 

I believe the CBA needs to be overhauled and the section dealing with this type of stuff needs to be updated if there is any chance of the NHL 'cleaning up the game' so to speak.  I'm not exaggerating when I say they should astronomically increase the amount of fines (start the fine for what Wilson did at $100,000.00 and go up from there accordingly) and at least triple or quadruple the minimum level of suspensions that we typically see.  Then and only then will these players take pause and think about their actions on/off the ice. 

I don's see the CBA changing much in the future for a few reasons unfortunately.  In the perspective of the NHLPA you're not going to voluntarily agree to astronomical fines/suspensions because, even though it indirectly protects your own membership, it also severely punishes your own membership at the same time.  The owners on the other hand, don't care as much about fines but they don't want their players being suspended as it may directly, as we see in the case of Wilson, effect their club's chances of winning which in their eyes is essentially $$$$$. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

All valid points.  I would add though, that in addition to Wilson's interests being protected one could easily argue that both the interests of the Capitals team and their owner Ted Leonsis are being protected as well since they are in no danger of losing the services of Wilson on the eve of the start of the playoffs - and say what you want about Wilson - there is zero doubt that when he is in the line-up he increases the Capitals chances of winning. 

I believe the CBA needs to be overhauled and the section dealing with this type of stuff needs to be updated if there is any chance of the NHL 'cleaning up the game' so to speak.  I'm not exaggerating when I say they should astronomically increase the amount of fines (start the fine for what Wilson did at $100,000.00 and go up from there accordingly) and at least triple or quadruple the minimum level of suspensions that we typically see.  Then and only then will these players take pause and think about their actions on/off the ice. 

I don's see the CBA changing much in the future for a few reasons unfortunately.  In the perspective of the NHLPA you're not going to voluntarily agree to astronomical fines/suspensions because, even though it indirectly protects your own membership, it also severely punishes your own membership at the same time.  The owners on the other hand, don't care as much about fines but they don't want their players being suspended as it may directly, as we see in the case of Wilson, effect their club's chances of winning which in their eyes is essentially $$$$$. 

Well they could've thrown in a 2 game suspension in the regular season (which essentially means nothing), and the conversation would be less of a controversy than nothing at all. This decision has exposed the NHL for being a joke.

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Well they could've thrown in a 2 game suspension in the regular season (which essentially means nothing), and the conversation would be less of a controversy than nothing at all. This decision has exposed the NHL for being a joke.

Totally agree.   Any minimal suspension would've been better than nothing. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

True, although I think it is less in the interests of the PA, as it's not zero-sum.  Sadly, idiots like Wilson (and Cooke, and so many others) get the opportunity to negatively impact more than just one other player.  If Panarin ends up like Lafontaine, that's not good for the PA at all.  Protecting the collective membership should be its goal, and when some of its members lose the respect for the rest, then the PA should lose respect for them in return.  It's bad enough that accidents will end careers, but that's part of the game.  When it gets intentional, more needs to be done, and clearly it isn't happening.

But yeah, i agree with you on the CBA: it should change to address this, but it won't.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

If the NHL refuses to clean up their act and make some effort to hold the DOPS accountable for their corruption, the NHL should have absolutely zero input regarding player discipline.  Make it entirely player funded to lessen the chances for bribery.   The players need to take control here since the NHL refuses to conduct itself appropriately.

• Cheers 1

Once again the NHL and DoPS go on their bizarre way of dispensing justice. Two games (fair enough) for Edler’s knee on knee reactionary hockey play while a non-hockey dangerous play nets Ghost the same amount, and known POS Wilson does his level best to drive someone’s face through the ice in another non-hockey play draws a fine, similar to McDavid’s .

We as fans get all indignant, yell and harumph, shake our impotent fists in the air. Meanwhile the NHL smirks and carries on like the game belongs to them and continues to ruin the game we love.

I was not a supporter of the WHA when they came into existence but I think I may have been wrong.