The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks should fire Benning and hire Jeff Gorton as GM in the off-season

18 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

1) No one said Vancouver is a hard place to sign UFA’s but it does not compare to the allure of Manhattan.  Not even close.  Anonymity + easier travel schedule + generally regarded as the best nightlife in the world or top 3-5.

2) As has been proven, players will sign with Vancouver if there is a perception that they are trending upwards.  Myers, Ferland, Holtby, Ryan Miller, Vrbata, etc., are all examples.  

3) Guys like Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Gudbranson, Baertschi, etc., were brought in here to insulate the youth while the youth were still developing.  It’s not a coincidence that all of our overpriced contracts (sans Myers - who fills/filled our weakest organizational position at the time) will be off the books after next season.

4) Again, 3rd conditional blubbering (ie if the Canucks had....).  “If my aunt had nuts she’d be my uncle” - Don Cherry.  3rd conditional statements are a waste of time in sports.  More importantly, it is without proof.

5) Benning isn’t a bad GM at all.   Pettersson (1C), Demko (1G), Hughes (1D), Boeser (1W), Horvat (matchups C), + Strong vets at good cap hits (Miller, Schmidt, Horvat), plus a good pipeline of prospects that will be banging at the door to make the line (Podkolzin, Rathbone, Juolevi) + Hoglander = an absolutely golden opportunity to make some noise starting on October 1st 2022.  Meanwhile, Gorton will likely be in India somewhere at that time coaching a young women’s field hockey team in Madras.

1) Guess what? There are a ton of other teams who have it much harder to sign players than the Canucks. Yet lots of them still manage to. Might actually be that other GMs can pro scout effectively and pick the right players to target.

2) All of the players you named were aging and/or declining and wanted a pay day they could probably only get from Benning. None signed because they thought the team was trending anywhere bud.

3) Funny how the last 2+ years the young guys have been pretty much the only ones who looked ready to compete other than guys who were let go as UFA. The young players have been the ones having to insulate the vets for awhile.

4) Its not a secret how weak the division the Canucks are last in actually is bud. I know it makes Benning look bad just like pretty much every other factor does.

5) Picking high every year because your team sucks for 7 years actually makes it easier to draft well. Who knew? Outside of Petterssen, not one 1st round pick has not been a consensus pick where they were taken. Add in the Virtanen fail (listen to JB describing him before drafting him. Its kind of funny how everything JB said is a plus is actually now among the biggest complaints). Juolevi wasted pick too. 

But we are expected to believe the two 1st round picks Benning made before promoting Brackett being failed picks and all the ones after being good picks is auromatically ALL Jim Benning and Weisbrod? All those late round good picks during Brackett's tenure had only to do with them? Come on. 

If I remember correctly, Gorton has drafted some pretty good players too. And signed better free agents. And traded for some pretty good players while knowing how to get prospects and picks back for aging players. He will very likely get another GM job soon. When Benning is fired I fully and confidently expect he will not get another GM role anytime soon.

Gorton is highly respected in the hockey community. Benning is not. There is some behind the scenes, I deal with players, coaches, agents, executives, and nhl insiders all the time and talk a lot of hockey with them. Most I have talked to are blown away that Gorton and Davidson were fired. And that Benning has not been.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

1) Guess what? There are a ton of other teams who have it much harder to sign players than the Canucks. Yet lots of them still manage to. Might actually be that other GMs can pro scout effectively and pick the right players to target.

2) All of the players you named were aging and/or declining and wanted a pay day they could probably only get from Benning. None signed because they thought the team was trending anywhere bud.

3) Funny how the last 2+ years the young guys have been pretty much the only ones who looked ready to compete other than guys who were let go as UFA. The young players have been the ones having to insulate the vets for awhile.

4) Its not a secret how weak the division the Canucks are last in actually is bud. I know it makes Benning look bad just like pretty much every other factor does.

5) Picking high every year because your team sucks for 7 years actually makes it easier to draft well. Who knew? Outside of Petterssen, not one 1st round pick has not been a consensus pick where they were taken. Add in the Virtanen fail (listen to JB describing him before drafting him. Its kind of funny how everything JB said is a plus is actually now among the biggest complaints). Juolevi wasted pick too. 

But we are expected to believe the two 1st round picks Benning made before promoting Brackett being failed picks and all the ones after being good picks is auromatically ALL Jim Benning and Weisbrod? All those late round good picks during Brackett's tenure had only to do with them? Come on. 

If I remember correctly, Gorton has drafted some pretty good players too. And signed better free agents. And traded for some pretty good players while knowing how to get prospects and picks back for aging players. He will very likely get another GM job soon. When Benning is fired I fully and confidently expect he will not get another GM role anytime soon.

Gorton is highly respected in the hockey community. Benning is not. There is some behind the scenes, I deal with players, coaches, agents, executives, and nhl insiders all the time and talk a lot of hockey with them. Most I have talked to are blown away that Gorton and Davidson were fired. And that Benning has not been.

I deal with players, coaches, agents, executives, and nhl insiders all the time and talk a lot of hockey with them.

Response:  LOL.  Thanks for the laughs kid.  Anyways, we can slice it anyway we want but here are the facts:

1) Your “Boi” in New York has missed the playoffs 4 years in a row.  While this can definitely change, we cannot call Gorton’s rebuilding model a success until that the Rangers actually make the playoffs and do something of significance.

2) You can bash Benning all you want, but his team took out the cup champs last season and got within a game of making round 3.  Time will tell if that season or this past season was the anomaly.  Progression isn’t always linear.

3) For all of the supposed “bled picks” and terrible UFA’s that we’ve signed, the Canucks are still one of the most successful teams in converting Picks and prospects into NHL calibre players.  And like I said before - all of our TRANSITIONAL contracts (which is exactly what they were so that the young guys on our team would be protected in their development) will be off the books by the end of next season (sans Myers).  

4) Your “Boi” Gorton on the other hand, has not only missed the playoffs for 4 straight seasons, but his team will likely be headed towards some cap troubles soon.  Check out capfriendly Rangers for verification.

Gorton and John Davidson should be working at BC Ferries Horseshoe Bay.

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I deal with players, coaches, agents, executives, and nhl insiders all the time and talk a lot of hockey with them.

Response:  LOL.  Thanks for the laughs kid.  Anyways, we can slice it anyway we want but here are the facts:

1) Your “Boi” in New York has missed the playoffs 4 years in a row.  While this can definitely change, we cannot call Gorton’s rebuilding model a success until that the Rangers actually make the playoffs and do something of significance.

2) You can bash Benning all you want, but his team took out the cup champs last season and got within a game of making round 3.  Time will tell if that season or this past season was the anomaly.  Progression isn’t always linear.

3) For all of the supposed “bled picks” and terrible UFA’s that we’ve signed, the Canucks are still one of the most successful teams in converting Picks and prospects into NHL calibre players.  And like I said before - all of our TRANSITIONAL contracts (which is exactly what they were so that the young guys on our team would be protected in their development) will be off the books by the end of next season (sans Myers).  

4) Your “Boi” Gorton on the other hand, has not only missed the playoffs for 4 straight seasons, but his team will likely be headed towards some cap troubles soon.  Check out capfriendly Rangers for verification.

Gorton and John Davidson should be working at BC Ferries Horseshoe Bay.

My job for 20 plus years has been working closely with professional sports teams, their players, agents, and executives bud. I am semi-retired now but still talk to players and executives all the time. 

Havent been called "kid" either in about 35-40 years now lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

My job for 20 plus years has been working closely with professional sports teams, their players, agents, and executives bud. I am semi-retired now but still talk to players and executives all the time. 

Havent been called "kid" either in about 35-40 years now lol. 

In that case, I do apologize.   

Sounds like you’ve had a very interesting and successful career.  While I still think Gorton belongs on a farm as a designated bull milker, it’s probably best that we agree to disagree with regards to Benning’s approach.  Cheers.

• Cheers 1

On 5/6/2021 at 10:45 AM, 24K PureCool said:

You just have to bring everything back to Benning don't you. 

My point is that we shouldn't just dive head first into him without considering other candidates should JB be justifiably be shown the door like you suggest. 

Also I'm in record here saying we probably need a mini rebuild/retool and it will take at least 2 offseasons to straighten the ship. Sure we can use him to maximize our asset but a late first rounder may not be what we really need at this point. If we are go8ng to maximize the value of our good vets, it should he for blue chip prospects that are close to ready instead of a 20 something pick that may take another 3 or 4 years to be impactful.

but aren't you descibing Vey, Granma Goldy, Dahlen, Beartschi and Clendenning? 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When did i say replace crap with more crap.

as a fovored client of mine once said, "Never mover, if you live in a ditch don't move"

On 5/12/2021 at 5:15 PM, 24K PureCool said:

Was more thinking along the line of Sergechev and Domi when they got traded. 

How would we get Sergachev or Domi? Do you really Arizona would take someone like Virtanen in exchange for Domi? Maybe back then they would've idk. What about Sergachev for Drouin? Who did we have to get Sergachev out of Montreal? He went to Tampa because they had a talented French Canadian forward in Drouin that Montreal needed to market to their fanbase. Steve Yzerman capitalized on that.

Benning's job was to compile assets that we could eventually trade for a young marquee player. He's been here for 7 years and we have nothing that could bring another top six forward like Reinhart/Eichel. We've got three blue chip guys: Lind, Rathbone and Podkolzin. They look like strong picks but for me it's just too little, too late. Time to drain the swamp. 

• Upvote 1