The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers fined $250,000

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

What a &^@#ing joike.  They're acting like the &^@#ing ccp, circling their wagons around incompetent adminstrators, just because they like their yes-men.

I really hope an angry crowd razes the league offices, and tars/feathers the league executive and management staff.  &^@#ing clowns.

That is a good comparison. NHL = CCP.

A lot happening behind the doors with the power shared by a select few. 

Fans (citizens) don't have any power when it comes to bringing a change.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Covid protocol violation fine for the Caps was 100k. Calling out the league department of safety rep costs you 250k.

That doesn't make a ton of sense if you ask me.

Who Knows Reaction GIF by Audible

Obviously players and coaches getting COVID is not as serious as offending the league 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, khay said:

Fans (citizens) don't have any power when it comes to bringing a change.

If fans could ever agree on meaningful action I'd argue they could potentially have ALL of the power. 

16 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If fans could ever agree on meaningful action I'd argue they could potentially have ALL of the power. 

Fans unanimously want to fire Bettman. Did it happen?

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This is the type of feedback that convinces me that there are people out there who serve no other purpose than to steal oxygen from others. 

Otherwise known as "Energy Vampires"! They suck the life out of everything. Pretty pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Fans unanimously want to fire Bettman. Did it happen?

1.  I know for a fact that it wasn't 'unanimous'.  A friend of mine is a fan and he has no issue with Bettman and unlike 99.9% of us he's actually met him.

2.  Other than 'want' something, what did aforementioned fans who wanted him fired actually do other than to complain on social media about him? 

I can virtually guarantee you that if fans 'unanimously' all cancelled their NHL network subscriptions, cancelled their season tickets, stopped buying NHL licensed merchandise and refused to buy tickets (when the arenas opened again) that if they wanted Bettman fired the owners would do it in a heartbeat.    Wanting something to happen and complaining on social media when it doesn't happen isn't the same thing as taking meaningful action in mass numbers towards a specific goal. 

You are lying again.  Be slightly honourable or truthful at the very least.

I clearly said that having a private conversation was “more likely to result in tangible action” than making the public statement... which is absolutely true, because making that public statement would do nothing but cement job security for Parros... which it did.  It removed any possibility at all of quietly shuffling things around.

I did not say that “I could have handled things privately”.... that is you inventing things in your own head to suit some weird strawman argument you wanted to make because reality showed you to be wrong (yet again).

I also linked an article from Seravelli making it clear that the statement from the Rangers “galvanized” support for Parros according to many sources... so it played out exactly like I suggested it would before the fine was handed out.

Try to be a grown up, your silly monotonous “gotcha” posts keep the ending out to be nonsense. 

I predicted how the statement would go down with the league, and it went down exactly like that Bettman pushing back hard.... and Parros not getting fired.

None of it has anything to do with whether Wilson should have been suspended or not, just how to effectively approach things.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Seems pretty predictable.  The way they went about it was really poor in my opinion.

Have a fiery interview and call the lack of suspension bull$&!# and that you had made those feelings clear to the league, and that all you care about is the health and safety of your players.

Then take your small fine for saying that and move on...  It serves the optics purpose of standing up for your players and your private discussions with the league are more likely to result in tangible action (like putting someone else in charge of player safety).

If anyone remotely thought that publicly calling out someone personally like that was going to result in Bettman doing anything but pushing back hard... they haven't paid attention the last couple of decades.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

No, actually, it's not. When you go into the real world, when someone fails to uphold their duties, asking for their head is a REAL consequence. I have no idea what kind of strawman you were making there, but my argument is very simple. It's no surprise that you can't even comprehend basic English. Countless times I run into your posts, and I love engaging with you because you're so easy to pick off.

No, Parros didn't get fired. Your position was that you could handle things behind the scenes, right? Well I told you that "working from behind the scenes" clearly hasn't worked out, and I cited the Sedins as a localized example.

It seems no position will be a "right" one, yet you have identified a position as being "right". THAT is what is unsupported.

• RoughGame 1

Not a surprise the NHL doubled down and embarrassed itself further here.  There was never any hope of Bettman doing the right thing and holding his criminal DOPS accountable for his repeated misconduct.  The NHL won't be an honest league without a complete housekeeping, starting in the commissioner's office.  Hopefully Bettman's replacement actually cares about the integrity of the game.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully Bettman's replacement actually cares about the integrity of the game.

Sadly I believe the only thing Bettman's replacement will care about is whatever the NHL owners tell them to care about - nothing more, nothing less.  No commissioner is going to actively work against his/her employers who, in this case, are the owners - and if they do, they won't be commissioner for long. 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly I believe the only thing Bettman's replacement will care about is whatever the NHL owners tell them to care about - nothing more, nothing less.  No commissioner is going to actively work against his/her employers who, in this case, are the owners - and if they do, they won't be commissioner for long. 

My hope is that the negative PR from this and the Peel match-fixing fiasco will convince the owners that repairing the league's reputation needs to be a priority.  Especially with the potential revenue from gambling sponsorships, the corruption in the league will cost the owners a ton of money if something isn't done about it, fast.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

My hope is that the negative PR from this and the Peel match-fixing fiasco will convince the owners that repairing the league's reputation needs to be a priority.  Especially with the potential revenue from gambling sponsorships, the corruption in the league will cost the owners a ton of money if something isn't done about it, fast.

While I hope you are correct King, I have serious doubts that any of the owners care about the integrity of the game. 

They're (owners) all going to be getting some pretty fat cheques from the Kraken expansion fee as well as the fact they just locked up a very lucrative new US television contract.  COVID aside the NHL would've experienced yet another year(s) of financial growth which benefits both owners and players.  I don't see that motivating either side to substantially change the nature of how they do business either on or off the ice - but like I said, I hop you're right and I'm not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

While I hope you are correct King, I have serious doubts that any of the owners care about the integrity of the game. 

They're (owners) all going to be getting some pretty fat cheques from the Kraken expansion fee as well as the fact they just locked up a very lucrative new US television contract.  COVID aside the NHL would've experienced yet another year(s) of financial growth which benefits both owners and players.  I don't see that motivating either side to substantially change the nature of how they do business either on or off the ice - but like I said, I hop you're right and I'm not. 

The Rangers clearly care, as will most other owners when the gambling revenues don't materialize due to the NHL's refusal to hold their staff accountable for the corruption.  We're approaching a Black Sox type incident, and I'd prefer to get things cleaned up before that happens.

27 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

1.  I know for a fact that it wasn't 'unanimous'.  A friend of mine is a fan and he has no issue with Bettman and unlike 99.9% of us he's actually met him.

2.  Other than 'want' something, what did aforementioned fans who wanted him fired actually do other than to complain on social media about him? 

I can virtually guarantee you that if fans 'unanimously' all cancelled their NHL network subscriptions, cancelled their season tickets, stopped buying NHL licensed merchandise and refused to buy tickets (when the arenas opened again) that if they wanted Bettman fired the owners would do it in a heartbeat.    Wanting something to happen and complaining on social media when it doesn't happen isn't the same thing as taking meaningful action in mass numbers towards a specific goal. 

1. OK so not unanimous. You found 1 guy that likes Bettman. But you do agree that majority of the fans want him gone (all the boos in almost all arenas that he visits).

2. Fans boo and they boo hard :) What else can they do? As I said, fans don't have any means to do anything. 

LMFAO at your cancel NHL subscription comments. 

Getting all fans to join in on the action to cancel their subscription? 

For most fans, it's not worth cancelling a huge part of their entertainment for something that is not guaranteed to happen.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

So that action you are referring is an impossible one. Because the condition (if part) can never be satisfied, the conclusion can never be satisfied.

3 minutes ago, khay said:

1. OK so not unanimous. You found 1 guy that likes Bettman. But you do agree that majority of the fans want him gone (all the boos in almost all arenas that he visits).

2. Fans boo and they boo hard :) What else can they do? As I said, fans don't have any means to do anything. 

LMFAO at your cancel NHL subscription comments. 

Getting all fans to join in on the action to cancel their subscription? 

For most fans, it's not worth cancelling a huge part of their entertainment for something that is not guaranteed to happen.

So that action you are referring is an impossible one. Because the condition (if part) can never be satisfied, the conclusion can never be satisfied.

I can tell already you feel that there is nothing the average fan can do, that much is clear and I'm not going to try to change your mind on that.

I believe fans have more power than they realize and personally I let my actions speak with my own spending habits.  I used to be an NHL network subscriber but I cancelled and my family, years ago when the team was still at the Coliseum, cancelled our season tickets (my dad actually cancelled but my family was in agreement).  Both times a representative of the company (NHL/Canucks) actually called our home and tried to change our mind and we explained why we did it.  One could say it was futile, and I understand that, but in the end I can say I took some kind of meaningful action and didn't just complain on social media expecting change from taking no action. 

I look at the situation in Manchester where the fans are taking collective action (to a degree) and their voice is loud and clear to the ownership and the league.  One way or another something is likely going to give in that situation due to the actions of the fans - not that I condone violence but at least it shows collective action can occur when there is a will. 

• Cheers 1

Big fat L for the NHL.

So disappointed in the league's decision. I kind of hope the Rangers refuse to pay the fine. They were right and justified in calling out Parros and the Department of Player Safety.

What Wilson did too Panarin was not only career threatening but also life threatening. And the resulting opening faceoff fight wouldn't have happened had a reasonable punishment for Wilson been handed out.

Bettman's a joke.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I can tell already you feel that there is nothing the average fan can do, that much is clear and I'm not going to try to change your mind on that.

I believe fans have more power than they realize and personally I let my actions speak with my own spending habits.  I used to be an NHL network subscriber but I cancelled and my family, years ago when the team was still at the Coliseum, cancelled our season tickets (my dad actually cancelled but my family was in agreement).  Both times a representative of the company (NHL/Canucks) actually called our home and tried to change our mind and we explained why we did it.  One could say it was futile, and I understand that, but in the end I can say I took some kind of meaningful action and didn't just complain on social media expecting change from taking no action. 

I look at the situation in Manchester where the fans are taking collective action (to a degree) and their voice is loud and clear to the ownership and the league.  One way or another something is likely going to give in that situation due to the actions of the fans - not that I condone violence but at least it shows collective action can occur when there is a will. 

Props to you and your family for taking actions. You actually convinced me.

Unfortunately, most fans don't have a season ticket to cancel. Cancelling season ticket and voicing your displeasure would be one way to be heard although, it would have to be done in unison. But I assume majority of the season tickets are owned by corporates and such action is unlikely to take place

Second, for most fans, hockey takes up a big part of their life. Cancelling their Sportsnet subscription is going to be hard. 

Manchester United is actually a good example of fans doing something about their displeasure with the ownership. Though, we are in Canada where people are civilized :) But then, 1994 and 2011 riots...

• Cheers 1