The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign edler or not?

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Sign Edler for one more year or not sign  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Why tho? Hes just so bad i dont even think he deserves a million anymore. When do we move on from him?

Moving on for the sake of moving on is stupid. GM needs to consider if we can fill a roster better with or without Edler. If he is coming back, I think it's going to look more like 3mil AAV. 

Just now, Drakrami said:

Moving on for the sake of moving on is stupid. GM needs to consider if we can fill a roster better with or without Edler. If he is coming back, I think it's going to look more like 3mil AAV. 

So we bring back the exact same awful defense from this year? Its not stupid, how many games thos year have you been like “wow what a great game by edler!” Lmao none from me.

Edler has done fine this season. This is a player who definitely wants to stay here and a good GM would be using that as leverage to get him cheaply.

Benning (if he's still our GM) has such a godawful track record with pro-scouting defencemen -- there's very little chance he'll be able to properly replace Edler. 

As much as I love Edler, I think our left side is already too full. We need to make space for the young guys like Rathbone and Juolevi. However, I wouldn’t mind if they spent the money on signing Adam Larsson to play beside Hughes. 

Hughes-Larsson

Schmidt-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I would bring him back, unless we can replace him with another defenceman that can take on heavy minutes. We've already seen this season how Hughes struggles when he's playing a lot. If we don't bring back Edler nor do we get a top-four replacement, I'm afraid it will put more pressure on Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

While I do like what Edler has brought to the team over his time here, I do think it's time to move on from him. With Myers and Schmidt on the team, and Hamonic hopefully returning, the team has the veteran presence covered, as well as the physical presence. Edler doesn't really have the foot speed to bring much in the way of offense either, and again Myers, Schmidt and Hamonic are better skaters and more productive offensively. 

The team needs Hughes, Juolevi, and Rathbone to have consistent minutes to gain experience. Edler gets in the way of that. 

He's been a great, loyal member of the team for years now, but so was Bieksa. If Juice can be traded or left to find a new home in free agency, so can Edler. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

As much as I love Edler, I think our left side is already too full. We need to make space for the young guys like Rathbone and Juolevi. However, I wouldn’t mind if they spent the money on signing Adam Larsson to play beside Hughes. 

Hughes-Larsson

Schmidt-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

Hughes and Hamonic are a fine pairing. No need to break that up. Juolevi should be in that group of six, in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

When I was still expecting Tryamkin back, I would have said there was some question if we had the roster space. Especially as I feel Hamonic (or another right side partner for Hughes... Savard? Larsson?) should be a priority ahead of him.

But so long as we can bring him back at a reasonable price, we'd be silly not to IMO. He can still play the hard minutes kids aren't ready for, and you're not going to get a better D for less money unless you draft him, on an ELC.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2

I would bring back Eagle for sure if the term/price is right and if the coaches are prepared to play him in the appropriate position on the defence unit. 

I think he's been 'overused' in term of both minutes played and role.  He's not that top 3 defenceman on your team who logs 20+min per night but that's exactly how he's being used unfortunately.  He's also nowhere near as bad as some here are claiming - I think he's done well for what he has to offer the team at this point in his career vs. what the coaches are asking him to do on a nightly basis. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Every time over the past couple years that Edler has been injured or out for an extended period of time it has been a disaster and shown his worth. If you can't get a quality d-man to replace him then we should re sign him. I think Edler is very underrated, hes probably a bottom 4 d-man at this point in his career but is playing top pairing shut down minutes still

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Every time over the past couple years that Edler has been injured or out for an extended period of time it has been a disaster and shown his worth. If you can't get a quality d-man to replace him then we should re sign him. I think Edler is very underrated, hes probably a bottom 4 d-man at this point in his career but is playing top pairing shut down minutes still

A lot depends on naturally his asking rice but in addition how much they're ( Green ) going to lean on him. For a player his age he sucks up a lot of minutes and that's IMO not fair on others or indeed on Edler.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Why tho? Hes just so bad i dont even think he deserves a million anymore. When do we move on from him?

Why the f*ck do you even ask the question if you are going to disagree with whatever people suggest?

• Cheers 1

I think Edler is affective when rested and healthy, I would be fine signing him 1.5 and sitting him back to backs and a couple road trips off if we plan on making playoffs next season if not in our plans I would say time to move on and get the kids in the holes